Thread: Verizon Texas ice storm

Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score

Verizon Texas ice storm

I saw a thread in T-Mo forum, essentially sites go out along with power, and in a few cases the local site is staying up via generator, but the "hub" site they wireless backhaul to used battery backup which ran out.

How's this working out with Verizon? In Iowa City after the derecho, a lot of Iowa City has poles with power, phone, HFC (fiber and cable coax), and recently fiber provider's fiber on them, so likely many sites lost wired backhaul and power simultaneously. The microcells (that had service) stayed up for a few hours due to battery backup. The macrocells kept service (most areas showed a signal still), and the wireless backhaul did it's thing, but with far too large an area running off too few sites with working backhaul, data speeds were like 1kbps and fast busy on voice calls, texts worked though. (Usable service came back up the next day.)

I suppose the big factors here are how many sites have power cut, and how many have backhaul stay up? If most have their backhaul staying up it may not affect service much at all; if backhaul goes out too, it'll depend on how much backhaul they have left on the remaining sites.

Device(s)
    iPhone, iPad, Netgear Nighthawk mobile hotspot
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    sounds like a job for COWs

Feedback Score
    I've had Verizon since the beginning of time in SE Texas. I've been through a dozen hurricanes, numerous floods. I've been without power, without water or sewer, landlines gone down, cable non-existent, no roads open in or out, etc. I've never lost Verizon cell service, including now when much of the State of Texas is without reliable power.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S21 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VVivian View Post
    sounds like a job for COWs
    Mooooooo!!!
    Just another day in paradise.....

Device(s)
    iPhone 12 Pro Max (personal), iPhone 12 Pro (work)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile (personal), AT&T/FirstNet (work)
    Feedback Score
    Had several (almost all) sites in our area go down, which made VZ's limited network capacity even more difficult to deal with. Seems like a lot of VZ's sites had no generator, or suffered from generator issues. T-Mo had the same issue. AT&T held up like a champ.

Device(s)
    NUU X6 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Hello Mobile, US Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tb_ View Post
    Had several (almost all) sites in our area go down, which made VZ's limited network capacity even more difficult to deal with. Seems like a lot of VZ's sites had no generator, or suffered from generator issues. T-Mo had the same issue. AT&T held up like a champ.
    Since this is now on two threads, your report only confirms that based on where you are, the backup systems may or may not be available to keep service active, regardless of carrier.

Sent from my S6003L using HoFo mobile app
    Drako Swiftclaw

Webmaster for Drako's Website Services
    Review Team Member for Drako's Wireless Review
    Independent Tech for DTech Seattle

Device(s)
    iPhone 12 Pro Max (personal), iPhone 12 Pro (work)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile (personal), AT&T/FirstNet (work)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jmac32here View Post
    Since this is now on two threads, your report only confirms that based on where you are, the backup systems may or may not be available to keep service active, regardless of carrier.

Your comment makes no sense.

AT&T stayed up with no hesitation, but T-Mobile and Verizon both went out every time utility power went out during rolling blackouts. This was the case throughout most of the Houston metro, based on discussions I have had with others. I also spoke with Verizon's disaster response center, and was basically told "tough luck" that our public safety users were unable to use Verizon's network for emergency response.

Device(s)
    NUU X6 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Hello Mobile, US Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tb_ View Post
    Your comment makes no sense.

AT&T stayed up with no hesitation, but T-Mobile and Verizon both went out every time utility power went out during rolling blackouts. This was the case throughout most of the Houston metro, based on discussions I have had with others. I also spoke with Verizon's disaster response center, and was basically told "tough luck" that our public safety users were unable to use Verizon's network for emergency response.
    Well, my comment takes into consideration other discussions on these very forums, where even att struggled in some areas during other events where power was lost.

First net though was supposed to have backups and redundancies.

Device(s)
    NUU X6 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Hello Mobile, US Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jmac32here View Post
    Well, my comment takes into consideration other discussions on these very forums, where even att struggled in some areas during other events where power was lost.

First net though was supposed to have backups and redundancies.

Also, the other thread had att users lose service along with vzw users.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S20+, REVVL 5G
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, TMobile prepaid
    Feedback Score
    I've only been to a few towns in the DFW area. Verizon at my home, just north of Dallas, held up well. I could not tell anything was off. I stayed in Plano while the power was out at my home and Verizon was ok with full reception with data, and a couple of call issues. I went to Krum, a small town west of Denton and data was worse than usual. AT&T is definitely better there, but my friends also reported call and data issues.

Device(s)
    iPhone 12 Pro Max
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    In San Antonio, I had service constantly go in and out. Calls dropped and texting was hit or miss. Data switched from 5G to LTE and sometimes 1X. Everything is back to normal now. Also when Verizon service dropped, so did my Spectrum internet (when I had power).