Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Tello Experience

Device(s)
    NUU X6 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Hello Mobile, US Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by greenhandle View Post
    There are a number of discussions about Hello Mobile on Reddit, and I have some friends using Hello Mobile.
    In general terms: If you need real customer service, there's a good chance you'll be unhappy with the experience.

The quality of the phone service itself seems just fine if you don't have problems-- which is exactly what should happen with any MVNO running on the same network carrier.

The descriptions of available data on larger plans can best be described as less than transparent. A number of people would describe it in harsher terms. Among other issues, fallback 2G is sometimes reported as not working at all, with no assistance in getting it working.

The pricing is attractive, and I haven't heard any complaints about that, other than the "2nd month free" offer not being applied as anticipated. (This may only be an issue for some people, but customer service doesn't seem inclined or capable of straightening it out.)

If you're an iPhone user, Tello still seems to be going through growing pains with APN settings. I haven't seen the same complaint about Hello Mobile & iPhones.
    I have actually been reading a lot of complaints about hello mobile and iphones. Especially with apn settings, mms, and data.

I did some digging to find out that this seems to be in part apple at fault. Smaller MVNOs don't really have funding to support the yearly fee apple charges to "certify" their sims for use in iphones.

I didn't even know this was a thing until reading into the comments about these complaints where someone pointed out that the carrier/sims were not "Apple Certified" - lo and behold, Apple actually has a page confirming this that also lists which carriers are certified.

This seems especially true for MVNOs using mvne wholesalers.

Without that cert, iphones for some reason have trouble getting apn/ims settings from the sim to offer good service for data, same goes for 5g. (No 5g on iphones for tello/hello mobile, might be apn/ims related.)

Sent from my S6003L using HoFo mobile app
    Last edited by jmac32here; 02-23-2021 at 12:18 AM.
    Drako Swiftclaw

Webmaster for Drako's Website Services
    Review Team Member for Drako's Wireless Review
    Independent Tech for DTech Seattle

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jmac32here View Post
    I have actually been reading a lot of complaints about hello mobile and iphones. Especially with apn settings, mms, and data.

Sent from my S6003L using HoFo mobile app
    Thanks, jmac32here ! You are correct about iPhone issues on Hello, and I just hadn't been paying enough attention.
    I agree that this issue can mostly be laid on Apple's doorstep. I've read before that Apple uses it as a strongarm tactic to force MVNO's to sell iPhones directly to their customers. Red Pocket had similar issues with iPhones until, coincidentally, they started selling iPhones.
    My Tello referral code is P3BSR5HV, and gets both of us 10 Tello Dollars to pay for a plan.
    https://tello.com/account/register?_referral=P3BSR5HV

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S, Moto e, Lumia 635, Moto G 2nd
    Carrier(s)
    GoPhone x3, PPCx2, TMo2Go, TracfoneX3, H20, Tello
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    I'm not sure how helpful it will be, but there's a Hello Mobile thread a little bit down the page that you can read: https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...6-Hello-Mobile
    Quote Originally Posted by analogman View Post
    Thanks, but that thread does not appear to have reviews of Hello Mobile.
    Perhaps posting the question in the Hello thread that Boz1 mentioned will give better results.

Doing in it here in a Tello thread will decrease your chances of getting the info you need.

Device(s)
    NUU X6 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Hello Mobile, US Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by greenhandle View Post
    Thanks, jmac32here ! You are correct about iPhone issues on Hello, and I just hadn't been paying enough attention.
    I agree that this issue can mostly be laid on Apple's doorstep. I've read before that Apple uses it as a strongarm tactic to force MVNO's to sell iPhones directly to their customers. Red Pocket had similar issues with iPhones until, coincidentally, they started selling iPhones.
    And apparently, selling "reconditioned" iPhones through a partnership with some 3rd party isn't really allowed - which might explain the iPhone issues Tello's been having since the migration to T-Mobile.

Also, if you can find where you may have read about Apple's strong arm tactics, please share-will help with my research for an entry about all this.

So perhaps this list:
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204039#usa
    Is of carriers that are Apple Certified due to partnering with Apple and following the rules, and paying any dues needed, to sell iPhones directly to customers? Anyone not on the list, then good luck.
    Last edited by jmac32here; 02-23-2021 at 01:11 PM.

Device(s)
    Flip phone, Samsung J3 on Tello
    Carrier(s)
    Tello, H2O, Page Plus, Tmobile
    Feedback Score
    CHANGEOVER from Sprint to Tmobile saga.
    After 2 days and 3 calls to c/s, finally got Tello working on the new network and the Tmobile phone.

Installed the new Tello SIM into an LG Leon phone, which had passed Tmobile BYOD check.
    Got service from Tmo, 5 bars and all.
    Dialed 611, got message to go to Tello.com/activate.
    Clicked ACTIVATE button, filled in name, address, etc. No cigar. called c/s, was told to enter zip code in a box that displayed email adrs.
    Now able to dial 611 and get c/s. but can't dial, rec. calls or data. Tried to edit APN, no data.
    Called c/s, they told me to wait. After 1 hr. phone/SIM status shows Tmobile, sig. strength, etc. Tried to make a call, says "Add money"
    Called c/s, '' '' '' '' '' and they would escalate. Turned all off, poured wine and quit.
    Next day tried at 2 PM, everything works. They had transferred the bill credit over by now.
    My Tello app now works, previously would ask for password then reject it. Clicked "forgot password", sent temp pwd as a text, which I can now receive. When I tried this the previous day texting wasn't working. Didn't have to change APN, Data work ok with the Tmo APN enabled. Got 11 mb speed. Better than it was on Sprint.
    All is well that ends well, at this point in the network swapping be prepared to do without the phone a day or two.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2