Thread: Boost's current network?

Carrier(s)
    Twigby & Tello
    Feedback Score

Boost's current network?

Boost has changed quite a bit since the last time I looked into them. For one thing they now have a $10 plan (like Tello) with unlimited talk & text and 1 GB of data — and you can bring your own phone again. It also includes hotspot service like Tello. But, unlike Tello, their coverage seems more like the old Sprint coverage (with Verizon roaming) than the T-Mobile maps.

My question... Does anyone know what phones they support now? T-Mobile or Sprint? Or both? And, if they support Sprint, is that about to change? Thanks for any information.
    Blackberry Q10 on TwigbyNokia 6300 4G on Tello & H2O

Device(s)
    Pixel XL, OnePlus 7 Pro
    Carrier(s)
    Project Fi
    Feedback Score
    Should be just T-Mobile at this point. I think they won't allow you to activate phones without VoLTE on them.

Carrier(s)
    Twigby & Tello
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by J Wireless View Post
    Should be just T-Mobile at this point. I think they won't allow you to activate phones without VoLTE on them.
    Okay, thanks. I wonder how accurate their coverage map is then? They appear to have the same coverage as T-Mobile prepaid rather than what other T-Mobile MVNOs have. For example, the big hole in Nebraska is not there. That might make them the preferred choice (if you can trust the map.)

EDIT: The "Nebraska hole" is there when I go to Voice instead of data — didn't realize they defaulted to data. So I guess it is the same as the other T-Mobile MVNOs.

Device(s)
    BLU V5, iPhone 6, iPhone SE2
    Carrier(s)
    TruPhone (ATT), Mint Mobile (TMo), TracFone (VZN), Cricket (ATT)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
    Okay, thanks. I wonder how accurate their coverage map is then? They appear to have the same coverage as T-Mobile prepaid rather than what other T-Mobile MVNOs have. For example, the big hole in Nebraska is not there. That might make them the preferred choice (if you can trust the map.)
    I wouldn’t trust the map for NE. Tmo has ZERO coverage from Just west of Lincoln until Greely CO. (Source: drove it in September with Mint Mobile)

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

iPhone SE2 on Cricket (Primary)
    BLU V5 on TruPhone/Mint Mobile (Backup)
    iPhone 6 on Tracfone - VZ (Backup)

Carrier(s)
    Twigby & Tello
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by minij View Post
    I wouldn’t trust the map for NE. Tmo has ZERO coverage from Just west of Lincoln until Greely CO. (Source: drove it in September with Mint Mobile)
    Okay, thanks. Sooner or later (the way Post Office seems to be working now, probably later) I'll be getting a Nokia 6300 4G. It's dual SIM, so I'm planning on using Tello (T-Mobile) as the main SIM ($10 for unlimited talk and text and 1GB data) and an H2O (AT&T) PAYGO plan for "roaming" ($9 for 200 minutes that lasts for three months). Probably only used when traveling. I don't use data a lot.

Device(s)
    NUU X6 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Hello Mobile, US Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Boost is owned by Dish but is using T-Mobile's network while Dish rolls out their own network.
    Drako Swiftclaw

Webmaster for Drako's Website Services
    Review Team Member for Drako's Wireless Review
    Independent Tech for DTech Seattle

Device(s)
    LG G4, Galaxy S7 Edge, Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, FreedomPop, TracFone
    Feedback Score
    Boost will still activate legacy Boost phones on Sprint as long as you have the correct Sprint SIM.
    Find and compare prepaid plans at https://prepaidcompare.net

Carrier(s)
    Twigby & Tello
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeswap View Post
    Boost will still activate legacy Boost phones on Sprint as long as you have the correct Sprint SIM.
    Nice source, thanks.

Feedback Score
    Will phones sold on T-mobile's web site work on their MVNOs?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Nice source, thanks.
    The best source is the Boost Mobile website.

I just went to https://activate.boostmobile.com/ and entered the IMEI of a currently inactive 2015 Boost Mobile Moto E and received the message, Your device is eligible to be activated on the Boost Mobile Network. For English, please call 844-817-8093 to activate. For Spanish, please call 855-209-8691 to activate..

Boost's ironic name for the Sprint network is the Nationwide Network, T-Mobile is the Expanded Network.

Here's a recent Boost support forum thread where a moderator explains how to activate a Boost phone on the Nationwide network: https://community.boostmobile.com/co...375f08cd4d34d8

On the Boost site, Nationwide network plans are listed at: https://www.boostmobile.com/plans.html.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MiFi_online View Post
    Will phones sold on T-mobile's web site work on their MVNOs?
    SIM locking works by the locked phone only allowing SIMs with specific Mobile Country Code (MCC) and Mobile Network Code (MNC) combinations. T-Mobile locked phones will work on T-Mobile MVNO's which use T-Mobile's MCC/MNC (310/260). Most T-Mobile MVNOs do use 310/260. Two that don't are Dish's Boost and Ting. They use 310/240 which is the old Voicestream (T-Mobile predecessor) MCC/MNC.

Carrier(s)
    Twigby & Tello
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeswap View Post
    Boost's ironic name for the Sprint network is the Nationwide Network, T-Mobile is the Expanded Network.

Here's a recent Boost support forum thread where a moderator explains how to activate a Boost phone on the Nationwide network: https://community.boostmobile.com/co...375f08cd4d34d8

On the Boost site, Nationwide network plans are listed at: https://www.boostmobile.com/plans.html.
    Now I understand. Thank you. When I followed the link to the Nationwide plans I saw the "old" Boost. I guess they're keeping this (for now?) to accommodate those who own Boost phones? I wonder how long they'll run on two networks?

At any rate, thanks. So all the new plans (like the $10 one) is on the Expanded T-Mobile network.

Device(s)
    NUU X6 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Hello Mobile, US Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Now I understand. Thank you. When I followed the link to the Nationwide plans I saw the "old" Boost. I guess they're keeping this (for now?) to accommodate those who own Boost phones? I wonder how long they'll run on two networks?

At any rate, thanks. So all the new plans (like the $10 one) is on the Expanded T-Mobile network.
    Probably until the end of this year since the "Nationwide" network is supposed to be getting the plug pulled on it 1/1/2022.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score

Yes, the cheaper plans are only available on the Expanded Network.

As jmac32here said, the Sprint network is supposed to be shut down at the end of this year.