Thread: How/where to set # of rings before voicemail?

Device(s)
    TCL 10L
    Feedback Score

How/where to set # of rings before voicemail?

I removed my voicemailbox a couple years ago and only just recently set it up again. Where do I set the number of rings (or time ringing) before a call goes to voicemail? And is there an fast/easy way to flip the account to immediately go to voicemail and then back to ringing again? I've let a few calls shown as spam ring through, and it appears that it's currently set to about 4 rings or 15 seconds. I'd like to increase that.

Guessing this has to be done with the carrier, whether that's Page Plus or Verizon, but I haven't found it yet. I think I've been through all of the voicemail options and didn't find it there. My phone is running Android 10, if that matters.

Feedback Score
    if Verizon allows changes to the ring interval before going to voicemail, it has to be done in their system. There are no phone settings or options in the voicemail menus to do this. Have seen something about being able to do this yourself in an actual Verizon account, but you don't have one on Page Plus. Not sure if a CSR can do this for you. The information is sometimes contradictory on this.

You can't turn on/off voicemail at will. as it's in the network. Putting the phone in "Do not disturb" mode might send the call to voicemail. Or just swipe the ringing call to "Ignore", which will send it to voicemail.

Device(s)
    TCL 10L
    Feedback Score
    Thanks.

Turning on/off voicemail isn't exactly what I'm talking about when I ask if I could easily set the number of rings to zero and back again. Both settings (if indeed it were an option) would have voicemail enabled.

If the number of rings is not that easily set, then I'd have to assume the vast majority of Page Plus (and Verizon?) customers have the exact same setting as I do. Is that the case - something like four rings, fifteen seconds?

Device(s)
    Flip phone, Samsung J3 on Tello
    Carrier(s)
    Tello, H2O, Page Plus, Tmobile
    Feedback Score
    I have fought this battle with all of the carriers/mvno's I deal with. If any of the forwarding phones was off, the call goes directly to voice mail.
    This is a problem when you use Google Voice, the inactive phone's voice mail grabs the call before you can answer it on the active phone.

I just have the carrier disable the voice mail so the phone rings without answering. GV voicemail works well.
    You have to call c/s to do this. Page Plus, H2O, Tmobile, & Tello.
    Have never been able to set # of rings on any of them.
    Last edited by dfriz; 02-27-2021 at 01:03 PM.

Device(s)
    TCL 10L
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dfriz View Post
    I have fought this battle with all of the carriers/mvno's I deal with. If any of the forwarding phones was off, the call goes directly to voice mail.
    That's interesting. This suggests that a simple phone setting might be able to force a call to go directly to voicemail, simply by taking itself offline.

Device(s)
    Flip phone, Samsung J3 on Tello
    Carrier(s)
    Tello, H2O, Page Plus, Tmobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by EliZ View Post
    That's interesting. This suggests that a simple phone setting might be able to force a call to go directly to voicemail, simply by taking itself offline.
    It will go to the voicemail of the phone that is off. If you have only one phone forwarded, no problem.

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); LG Fiesta 2 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Phone powered off or in Airplane Mode = Direct to voicemail.
    MVNOs typically don't have controls for making adjustments to this. Usually only the official base carrier would extend that ability to its own proper customers (as I understand it); and that varies itself.

Device(s)
    Moto Z4 (Vzw), Moto Z Play (PP)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    if Verizon allows changes to the ring interval before going to voicemail, it has to be done in their system. There are no phone settings or options in the voicemail menus to do this. Have seen something about being able to do this yourself in an actual Verizon account, but you don't have one on Page Plus. Not sure if a CSR can do this for you. The information is sometimes contradictory on this.
    I went thru this a few years ago, with my direct Verizon account. Not easy*. I had to go thru Tech Support. And it was actually set by time, not the number of rings.

* As in getting the Customer Support person to allow you to talk with a Tech Support person. It is worse than Meghan trying to get permission to talk with Elizabeth.

Feedback Score
    I just went through this with Verizon and Tello.

TELLO was very easy. all you need is the phone number of your particular voicemail provider and a few MMI codes.
    EXAMPLE: I use Voxist and their number is 4152280437
    1 - dial *#61# to check forwarding delay. it will come back the delay times (by default they are all set to 30 seconds)
    2 - Dial **61*1+PhoneNumber# or **61*14152280437# For forward if No reply
    3 - Dial **62*1+PhoneNumber# or **62*14152280437# For Forward when not reachable
    4 - Dial **67*1+PhoneNumber# or **67*14152280437# For Forward when Busy (occurs if receiving a call while dialing out)

At this point your Tello phone is set to forward to voicemail if there is No reply, if Unreachable or Busy
    Now all you need is one command to set the delay to something else.

5 - Dial **61*14152280437**seconds # or **61*14152280437**10 # to set delay to 10 seconds (or whatever value you want.)

6- to verify, Dial *#61# again and you should get a response telling you all the delays have been set to the new time.

Since Tello is now part of T-mobile this procedure will work. the procedure will also work for any other T-mobile phone.

VERIZON: Hopeless! I made several calls and chats and talked to a tech(In Mar of 2021) who had been there for 13 years.
    He said they removed the MMI codes from their system and even they can't adjust the delay. The default delay for Verizon is currently 30 seconds which I think is WAY too long for a customer to be hanging on the line trying to leave me a message. I tried some back door ways too but couldn't find a way.

BTW Every carrier is different So search on-line for the MMI codes that your carrier uses and you'll figure it out.