Thread: T-Mobile Prepaid eSIM on Verizon iPhone!!!

Feedback Score

T-Mobile Prepaid eSIM on Verizon iPhone!!!

I have a Verizon iPhone XS Max that’s currently on Verizon postpaid account. I would like to test T-Mobile coverage using an eSIM. From what I’ve read it should be possible by just adding T-Mobile prepaid eSIM. Any suggestions from someone that’s tried it. People at the local T-Mobile corporate store or customer service really have any answers.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Device(s)
    Galaxy S21 Ultra, Galaxy Note 20 Ultra
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    All I did was download the T-Mobile esim activation app from the play store and activated through it.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tmobilenatl View Post
    All I did was download the T-Mobile esim activation app from the play store and activated through it.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using HoFo mobile app
    Ok. I’m using an iPhone and already downloaded other eSIM app from the App Store. I’ll try it again later and see if I can get activated bb

Device(s)
    Pixel 3a
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone (VZ) with Airalo esim for data with Google Voice phone number
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by renew1 View Post
    Ok. I’m using an iPhone and already downloaded other eSIM app from the App Store. I’ll try it again later and see if I can get activated bb

Should work if your phone is unlocked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    If your phone is unlocked (and on Verizon, it should be if you've had service more than 40 days), you should be just fine to load it up. The T-Mobile eSIM app is for prepaid accounts and basically walks you through the steps to create an account, gives you a local phone number, and adds the eSIM profile to your device. Once finished, you can delete the app as it doesn't serve any other function.

A few pointers—create a 6-digit PIN, as it generally avoids any issues when creating the online login account (the two systems are sometimes flaky about integration). Once you create the login, you can also pick a different phone number by going to Line Details > Change a phone number > Get a new number (this is also how you can eventually port a number in if you do want to switch).

Device(s)
    iPhone SE 2020
    Carrier(s)
    Page Plus PAYG & T-Mobile Legacy PAYGO
    Feedback Score
    How do you transfer an existing prepaid account from a physical SIM to eSIM?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dmart View Post
    How do you transfer an existing prepaid account from a physical SIM to eSIM?
    I haven't done it with the current plans, but it seems like you have to call 611, tell them you're transferring it to an eSIM, give them the EID of your device, and they'll email you a one-off QR code to add the plan to your device (did it with a legacy iPad data plan).

The app won't help with transferring, only sets up new.

Device(s)
    iPhone SE 2020
    Carrier(s)
    Page Plus PAYG & T-Mobile Legacy PAYGO
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ecs0013 View Post
    I haven't done it with the current plans, but it seems like you have to call 611, tell them you're transferring it to an eSIM, give them the EID of your device, and they'll email you a one-off QR code to add the plan to your device (did it with a legacy iPad data plan).

The app won't help with transferring, only sets up new.
    Thanks for the info.

Device(s)
    s8/s8+/Nexus5x
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Just curious, which prepaid plan did you choose? TMobile prepaid seems expensive compared to Verizon and ATT

Device(s)
    iPhone 12 ProMax, OnePlus 8 5G
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jmsilver99 View Post
    Just curious, which prepaid plan did you choose? TMobile prepaid seems expensive compared to Verizon and ATT
    huh?

$15 for unlimited talk/text/2.5GB data, $25 unlimited talk/text/5.5GB data, $40 unlimited talk/text/10GB, $50 unlimited talk/text/data.

What are you seeing cheaper on Verizon/AT&T other than AT&T's prepaid yearly plan?
    T-Mobile: Magenta Amplified (airline employee plan)
    AT$T: $50 Unlimited Elite Prepaid promo (for more “rural” areas)

Device(s)
    s8/s8+/Nexus5x
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brad15 View Post
    huh?

$15 for unlimited talk/text/2.5GB data, $25 unlimited talk/text/5.5GB data, $40 unlimited talk/text/10GB, $50 unlimited talk/text/data.

What are you seeing cheaper on Verizon/AT&T other than AT&T's prepaid yearly plan?
    Verizon 15gb $45 after auto pay, $40 after 3 mo loyalty , $35 after 9 mo loyalty I think it's better than 10gb $40 on TMobile

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    Verizon 15gb $45 after auto pay, $40 after 3 mo loyalty , $35 after 9 mo loyalty I think it's better than 10gb $40 on TMobile
    So you have to pay more for 3-9 months to get it cheaper.. I'd still rather just pay $50 and get actual unlimited.

It's still not a better deal, plus then you get to deal with verizon's data congestion issues.

I mean my AT&T line I get for $42.75 with card refill sales, now that's a better deal than T-Mobile.. but T-Mobile also regularly gives me 600+Mbps indoors.. AT&T is ~50-100Mbps indoors on average, and Verizon is usually 3-30Mbps (I just canned them completely)

Device(s)
    s8/s8+/Nexus5x
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brad15 View Post
    So you have to pay more for 3-9 months to get it cheaper.. I'd still rather just pay $50 and get actual unlimited.

It's still not a better deal, plus then you get to deal with verizon's data congestion issues.

I mean my AT&T line I get for $42.75 with card refill sales, now that's a better deal than T-Mobile.. but T-Mobile also regularly gives me 600+Mbps indoors.. AT&T is ~50-100Mbps indoors on average, and Verizon is usually 3-30Mbps (I just canned them completely)
    You're ignoring that it is 15gb vs 10gb, so yeah if you use less than 10gb TMO is better for the first 3 months you have Verizon PPD But if your loyal to Verizon Prepaid it works out to a better plan. Even at 3 months its $40 for 15gb for VZW and $40 for 10gb at TMO. Verizon gets the $42.75 for $50 too at Target with Red Card, so same discount and same no tax.

I agree on depriortization though it has not been an issue for me lately . I think you are talking speeds pre-5G. I get 100mbps + on Verizon usually (just now test - 106 down, 30 up). Also if you sign up new using a sim bought at Walmart, you get a bonus 10gb so , 1-3 mo is $45, 4-9 is $40 and 9+ is $35 for 25gb. Not sure if TMO has Walmart bonus, if they do cool. I would never use 25gb, so their budget unlimited is not worth it for me, no hotspot. Premium unlimited is good but more expensive.

Btw, I've worked out that the Target $5 off $50 + (5% Redcard )for all carriers occurs every 5 weeks, it was last week so sale on prepaid cards will be in 4 weeks.

Feedback Score
    You're ignoring that it is 15gb vs 10gb, so yeah if you use less than 10gb TMO is better for the first 3 months you have Verizon PPD But if your loyal to Verizon Prepaid it works out to a better plan. Even at 3 months its $40 for 15gb for VZW and $40 for 10gb at TMO. Verizon gets the $42.75 for $50 too at Target with Red Card, so same discount and same no tax.

I agree on depriortization though it has not been an issue for me lately . I think you are talking speeds pre-5G. I get 100mbps + on Verizon usually (just now test - 106 down, 30 up). Also if you sign up new using a sim bought at Walmart, you get a bonus 10gb so , 1-3 mo is $45, 4-9 is $40 and 9+ is $35 for 25gb. Not sure if TMO has Walmart bonus, if they do cool. I would never use 25gb, so their budget unlimited is not worth it for me, no hotspot. Premium unlimited is good but more expensive.

Btw, I've worked out that the Target $5 off $50 + (5% Redcard )for all carriers occurs every 5 weeks, it was last week so sale on prepaid cards will be in 4 weeks.
    You're absolutely right that the 10GB plan isn't exactly as competitive anymore. Verizon's deprioritization can be an issue in areas, regardless of LTE or 5G due to limited spectrum (in my area, Verizon prepaid can be 5-70Mbps, both on LTE and 5G), but the loyalty discount is nice (there's also some port-in deals from time to time). I think if Verizon allowed full access to mmWave on their capped plans, it would be awesome (in my area, Verizon has a lot of mmWave deployed, but most prepaid plans can't access it, so instead everyone gets to go to congestiontown).

The T-Mobile Connect plans are priced quite nicely (for 5GB, a tad cheaper than AT&T, a bit more data at the same price than Verizon once loyalty kicks in), but you get priority and access to the entire network. On the other hand, if T-Mobile isn't so great in your area, it may make sense to go with the other two.

It seems the pricing for their prepaid unlimited plans are in line with AT&T and Verizon, so yeah...my only gripe is the 10GB one.

As for Walmart, T-Mobile doesn't have a presence, but Sprint did, so that might change. Walmart has also done special promotions with AT&T, so it's a possibility in the future.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score

Well the Verizon postpaid SIM i was using was disconnected as of Wednesday the 12th (last day of billing cycle), and used in an iPhone 12 ProMax.. so definitely "post" 5G I was running it dual sim alongside T-Mobile. I'd even be in a hotel room and Verizon was in the single digits, to maybe 20Mbps... T-Mobile, 300-600Mbps (my current plan has unlimited mobile hotspot).. There's really no comparison in places that they've gotten Sprint assets integrated anymore.

UWB was nice in the 4sq blocks outside around here I'd get it, and neat inside the airport (I fly for a living) but going from 2000Mbps outside to 3-30Mbps indoors, or near useless whilst sitting on a plane was just not worth it.

And on the T-Mobile 10GB plan, music streaming also does not count, and media is likely the reason someone is using more than a few GB/mo of data anyway, and likely more useful than the Verizon plan for the average person.

https://www.t-mobile.com/support/pla...-music-freedom