Thread: Shutting down 3G calling

Device(s)
    iPhone 12 Mini
    Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score

Shutting down 3G calling

So I got a weird message the other day. I often would set my iPhone XS to 3G when I was driving. I would never be using data anyway and the signal was always better for calls. Well I was gonna place a call and there was this weird message about network upgrades happening in Winnipeg and Brandon on March 16 and I had to turn VoLTE on.

Are they turning off 3G calling?

Not that it matters much now for me. I got an iPhone 12 mini and you can't force the 3G network on it anyway.

If they are going to VoLTE only and 3G won't work, a lot of rural areas are gonna have trouble.

Feedback Score
    In Brandon and Winnipeg, starting March 16,Telus will move their customers to their own towers, and will no longer have access to Bell/Rogers.

Since they have no 850 MHz spectrum in Manitoba, the only 3G band available is going to be Band 2 (1900 MHz). Coverage on 1900 is worse than 850, which means Telus can't guarantee 3G voice coverage.

They recommend VoLTE, which allows LTE low bands like B12 (700 MHz). In general, you won't have issues with 3G calling on 1900 if you're outdoors. It's possible you could be impacted indoors.

One potential issue for non-VoLTE scenarios is that people can have a few bars of low band LTE like B12, but when they try to make/receive a phone call on 3G, they will be out of service for 1900. That will be very confusing to the end user, because in their eyes, they have a signal, but calls won't work.

Long story short, they're losing the ability to provide 3G 850 service in Winnipeg and Brandon, but they will still have 3G 1900.

Rural markets are not affected, and will continue to use the shared Bell/Rogers towers.
    Want to learn more about how LTE works?
    https://productioncommunity.publicmo...ls/td-p/130581

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sheytoon View Post
    In Brandon and Winnipeg, starting March 16,Telus will move their customers to their own towers, and will no longer have access to Bell/Rogers.
    Strange, it's the East so shouldn't this be covered by the Bell'us alliance?

Feedback Score
    What do you mean it's the east?

Device(s)
    iPhone 12 Mini
    Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    I think Manitoba is considered Western Canada..

Thanks for the in depth answer Sheytoon!

I do have another question, why is the LTE signal so bad? It seems like whenever I try to look at the test mode on my phone that I'm on band 4 which I believe is AWS so 1700 mhz...

I just don't understand why in these vast wide open spaces with no more than a couple hundred people we aren't on 700 mhz. Like I had said I used to force my phone to 3G often so I'd have a usable signal for calls, which would have been on 850 mhz HSPA. On the iPhone 12 they took that option away so now I'm stuck on my 1 or 2 bars of LTE (sorry for bar speak, I don't know what the actual signal is, test mode doesn't seem to update very quick so I gave up trying a long time ago) which drops if I accidentally get a tree between me and the tower. 3G in the same spot is often full signal and calls would always work.

It's very frustrating.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jcalder View Post
    I think Manitoba is considered Western Canada..

Thanks for the in depth answer Sheytoon!

I do have another question, why is the LTE signal so bad? It seems like whenever I try to look at the test mode on my phone that I'm on band 4 which I believe is AWS so 1700 mhz...

I just don't understand why in these vast wide open spaces with no more than a couple hundred people we aren't on 700 mhz. Like I had said I used to force my phone to 3G often so I'd have a usable signal for calls, which would have been on 850 mhz HSPA. On the iPhone 12 they took that option away so now I'm stuck on my 1 or 2 bars of LTE (sorry for bar speak, I don't know what the actual signal is, test mode doesn't seem to update very quick so I gave up trying a long time ago) which drops if I accidentally get a tree between me and the tower. 3G in the same spot is often full signal and calls would always work.

It's very frustrating.
    The East/West split is not a hard and fast rule. For example, northern BC is Bell, and Montreal is Telus. Prior to the MTS acquisition, Manitoba had a small deployment with Telus. Now that Bell owns MTS, it is a special market. Bell and Rogers share, and Telus and Xplornet have their own towers in the 2 big cities. Rural Manitoba is still Bell/Rogers for everyone.

As for your LTE signal, those thresholds were defined by Rogers and MTS, and I suspect Bell hasn't tried to optimize them. I'm sure you have 700 MHz coverage, but the network isn't asking your phone to move to those bands until B4 is very low. Sounds like the thresholds are a bit too aggressive and need to be dialed back. This is an optimization issue, and can be tweaked fairly easily. But because Rogers and Bell sites are all mixed together in every market, they should coordinate threshold changes across both companies to ensure a consistent user experience.

Device(s)
    iPhone 12 Mini
    Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    We were on Bell before Telus, signal-wise it was all the same. My parents are on Rogers and theirs is no different either. We are with telus due to their pricing, they had the best deal. Service wise they all seem the same, which would make sense since they all share the same towers.

I just hope that the agreements always continue. It wouldn't be very awesome if suddenly Bell said no more Telus users on their towers.

I don't think I've ever seen my phone connected to a 700 mhz band. But I don't watch it that close either. However it seems like when the LTE signal gets very weak it drops back to 3G, not to a lower band LTE.

Device(s)
    Honor 7X, iPhone 6S Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Public Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I don't think they can disable 3g completely because public mobile is using it for voice calls. I couldn't enable volte on pm and when call is placed it switches automatically to 3g and when it's completed back to LTE.
    And PM is Telus subsidiary

Tired of huge cell phone, internet, roaming bills? We can help!

www.facebook.com/CellPhoneSaver
    Tired of huge cell phone bills?I can help!Please,check and like my FB page below
    https://www.facebook.com/CellPhoneSaver

Device(s)
    iPhone 8
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I was checking on the tower map website and it appears that Telus may have shut down some towers as well as sold off some towers to Rogers. I know that driving past Alexander that I get full bar LTE there now days when just a year ago I'd have spotty 3G. The only other towers in the area are 10 min drive away in either direction. On the map it was previously showing up as Telus (1900mhz) but now shows up as Rogers 700mhz
    Man gets hit by Brick Phone! Ouch!

Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    I don't think I've ever seen my phone connected to a 700 mhz band. But I don't watch it that close either. However it seems like when the LTE signal gets very weak it drops back to 3G, not to a lower band LTE.
    This still happens to me in the GTA (Southern Ontario) on Telus. I do see my phone switch to 700MHz on occasion, but usually what happens is when LTE signal gets low, my phone will drop to 3G before trying to connect to low band LTE. It’s very frustrating and has been like this for as long as I can remember. My wife, who is with Rogers, doesn’t experience this. Her phone switches from high band to low band LTE properly. She’s almost never on 3G.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Device(s)
    iPhone 12 Mini
    Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by toolcube View Post
    This still happens to me in the GTA (Southern Ontario) on Telus. I do see my phone switch to 700MHz on occasion, but usually what happens is when LTE signal gets low, my phone will drop to 3G before trying to connect to low band LTE. It’s very frustrating and has been like this for as long as I can remember. My wife, who is with Rogers, doesn’t experience this. Her phone switches from high band to low band LTE properly. She’s almost never on 3G.

That would almost be enough reason to go back to Rogers for me. All the carriers use the same towers around here, although maybe each carrier has their own thresholds for when the radios change bands. I really don't know, over the years I've been with everyone and it gets annoying changing all the time.

Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score

Shutting down 3G calling

Bell and Telus share the RAN so depending on how the RAN operator in a given location has configured the thresholds, the other carrier will be identical. For example, Bell operates the RAN in the GTA, so however a Bell phone behaves, a Telus phone will behave exactly the same way. Rogers operates their own RAN, so their thresholds are configured differently.

Manitoba is slightly different as sheytoon explained several posts above.

Feedback Score
    Anyone turning off Volte is doing themselves a huge disservice. By turning off volte you are severely limiting your ability to make calls and data access to a narrow sliver of band 2 1900mhz LTE. The advisory from Telus is to inform its customers to the interruption of their service should they choose to ignore. If you want the absolute best coverage in Manitoba ‘extended range’ so to speak volte needs to be I enabled to use band 12,13,17 700mhz LTE as Manitoba for Telus ownes no band 5 850mhz 3G. This will also enable soft handover to bells network in Manitoba and parts of Manitoba where it’s only Rogers. Telus will use EXT roaming in parts of Manitoba where it’s Rogers only.

Without volte you will not yet service where you once had it before.

Feedback Score
    So I got a weird message the other day. I often would set my iPhone XS to 3G when I was driving. I would never be using data anyway and the signal was always better for calls. Well I was gonna place a call and there was this weird message about network upgrades happening in Winnipeg and Brandon on March 16 and I had to turn VoLTE on.

Are they turning off 3G calling?

Not that it matters much now for me. I got an iPhone 12 mini and you can't force the 3G network on it anyway.

If they are going to VoLTE only and 3G won't work, a lot of rural areas are gonna have trouble.

Anyone turning off Volte is doing themselves a huge disservice. By turning off volte you are severely limiting your ability to make calls and data access to a narrow sliver of band 2 1900mhz LTE. The advisory from Telus is to inform its customers to the interruption of their service should they choose to ignore. If you want the absolute best coverage in Manitoba ‘extended range’ so to speak volte needs to be enabled (provided you have a volte capable device on telus) to use band 12,13,17 700mhz LTE as Manitoba for Telus ownes no band 5 850mhz 3G. This will also enable soft handover to bells network in Manitoba and parts of Manitoba where it’s only Rogers. Telus will use EXT roaming in parts of Manitoba where it’s Rogers only.