Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a USA prepaid plan with US mobile #'s to use in Europe

Feedback Score

Looking for a USA prepaid plan with US mobile #'s to use in Europe

I'm a US citizen working in Germany who is active in Twitter and Facebook and other Social Media accounts.

I travel a lot in Europe & logging in to one of my social media accounts when I must use another region's internet connections often produces another RE-VERIFICATION request because the social media company flags my login as not meeting the same session environment as the last time i logged in or out.

To start a Twitter account requires a "valid carrier" telephone number. VOIP numbers, such as in Skype, are rejected.When I get another lockout from Twitter or another social media account I need to receive the SMS Verification code sent from the USA and use it within a few minutes of its generation.

So I need to be able to respond to a verification, or increasingly common, RE-Verification SMS messages no matter where i am in Europe.

And I must be able to use that same number tied to my specific Twitter or other account for the life of my account.

Whether I use a VPN or not, just using a different browser where the cookies don't match, is enough to trigger a temporary lock out of my accounts.

If I were in the USA I would probably purchase an Android phone with a PREPAID plan that allows me to add new credits or re-supply my prepaid SIM account with an online form when I am working in Germany.

Peferably the whole setup would allow me to buy 4 or 5 telephone numbers serviced by the same provider in area codes such as New Jersey state, New York state, Texas state, whatever states I've had history with before.

I don't want to use the same phone number as my primary contact in different Social Media accounts because of how commonly that number is used to tie together our lives in a data-rich bundle.

Does anyone here have working knowledge of a solution to give me a PrePaid plan with multiple US REAL mobile numbers that I can use to receive time-sensitive SMS messages while I am working in Europe?

Thank You, Experts!
    Last edited by TexasPhone; 03-04-2021 at 03:56 AM. Reason: spelling

Feedback Score
    First, I'll ask, is this new behavior with Twitter? I think I only use an email address with Twitter.

If you do need a real phone # that can be accessed from outside the US via WiFi calling/texting, it's been established that the former T-Mobile Paygo plan, which is now handled by Ultra Mobile and has been improved to include 100/100/100, is $3/mo, after $13 to start the first month, works for that purpose. It has a real T-Mobile phone #, so it will work for verification codes where VoIP #s might not.

https://www.ebay.com/p/23039768111

Device(s)
    Motorola G4 Plus, Samsung Galaxy S8 Active
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Why don't you just use app based authentication instead? I believe that is also considered more secure than sms. You can set that up with Authy or Myki

Sent from my SM-G892U using HoFo mobile app

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Another option might be the RedPocket GSMT annual plan for $30/year. This is on the T-mobile network and gets you 200 talk/1000 text/200 mb data each month. The RedPocket GSMT plan supports wifi calling in Android and KaiOS phones but NOT in iPhones.

Eric

Feedback Score
    Truphone gets free incoming messages in just about any country and gives you a real US number. Also doesn’t have any strict top-up requirements.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Feedback Score
    What do you mean -- app based authentication?

Feedback Score
    Twitter is not satisfied with email, anymore.
    Has to be a mobile or landline.
    Some old info may be around about "just email needed"
    But no longer.

Feedback Score
    I must be misunderstanding something. I just logged into Twitter on browsers that I'd never used with Twitter before on both a Windows computer and my Android phone, and all it asked for was my username and p/w.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    I must be misunderstanding something. I just logged into Twitter on browsers that I'd never used with Twitter before on both a Windows computer and my Android phone, and all it asked for was my username and p/w.
    This thread is not accomplishing what I intended. People are questioning WHY I'm asking for this instead of focusing on the solution I'm requesting.

This is NOT a Test of Twitter. Twitter HAS CHANGED its procedures. I use it. Have used it for 8 years. I am in Germany. I travel in Europe. That is my situation. I am an American. My experience within the last months of 2020 and these first months in 2021 requires that from Europe, even using a VPN, you can NOT even OPEN a new Twitter account just relying on an email address.

Twitter will allow you to open an account with an unused Username and an email, YES.
    BUT
    the next time you try to use your brand new account it will be LOCKED until you supply a telephone number because TWO-PART VERIFICATION is NOW the DEFAULT. At least in Germany.

I've had an account I use for general discussion for years that now got stopped for over a month where I couldn't log in because I no longer had the same telephone number. They demanded a number where they could send the Verification SMS code so that I could use it to log back in to my account. I finally had to get a relative to buy a prepaid card Android phone in New Jersey so that he could pass along the SMS code immediately.

But he's not able to monitor that phone anymore.

I could continue to explain other things about Twitter now for an American in Europe who travels through multiple European mobile phone services. But, I'm done.

Am I learning that it is IMPOSSIBLE for any provider to simply give me even ONE USA (non VOIP) mobile number on a prepaid plan where I can receive ROAMING IN EUROPE IN REAL TIME the SMS that a Twitter or other Social Media platform will send to that number to Verify that my account satisfies their security protocols?
    Last edited by TexasPhone; 03-05-2021 at 03:33 AM.

Feedback Score
    Okay, i'm going to check into this. It was the T-Mobile Paygo plan that inspired me to think that I had a solution. But then when I tried to pin down the details I saw it was no longer offered.
    I'll take a look at Ultra Mobile and report back if this is doable for me.

Feedback Score
    Here is Authy's app for Twitter.
    It simply duplicates the procedure Twitter already make the default now.

Authy's setup requires a Telephone Number along the way, exactly as Twitter does now.
    I still have to provide a Real Mobile # --- exactly the problem that brought me to this forum.
    I'm trying to give Twitter a USA Mobile phone to use for account verification.

These apps do not solve my Main Problem.

https://authy.com/guides/twitter/

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasPhone View Post
    This thread is not accomplishing what I intended. People are questioning WHY I'm asking for this instead of focusing on the solution I'm requesting.
    But you sort of just ignored my actual suggested solution, If the suggested solution doesn't meet your needs, you could say so, but ignoring it and then saying "instead of focusing on the solution I'm requesting" isn't helpful, either.

Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    First, I'll ask, is this new behavior with Twitter? I think I only use an email address with Twitter.

If you do need a real phone # that can be accessed from outside the US via WiFi calling/texting, it's been established that the former T-Mobile Paygo plan, which is now handled by Ultra Mobile and has been improved to include 100/100/100, is $3/mo, after $13 to start the first month, works for that purpose. It has a real T-Mobile phone #, so it will work for verification codes where VoIP #s might not.

https://www.ebay.com/p/23039768111

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasPhone View Post
    Okay, i'm going to check into this. It was the T-Mobile Paygo plan that inspired me to think that I had a solution. But then when I tried to pin down the details I saw it was no longer offered.
    I'll take a look at Ultra Mobile and report back if this is doable for me.
    Lol. Okay. Rant first; read later, huh?

My T-Mo/Ultra Mobile suggestion might not meet your needs, but at least it's worth checking.

Device(s)
    nexus and RIP Motorola flip phone
    Carrier(s)
    T -Mobile ATT
    Feedback Score
    Do you need to verify one time , or everytime you cross a border ?

or random times when Twitter feels like it ?

Do you also need to have an unlocked GSM-LTE phone to use the USA sim card ?

It seems like the best option is a USA sim that rings overseas ( I assume Texts too) but you will need to carry it with you all the time ,

you may also run into the problem that the sim provider does not allow 100 % overseas usage ,

Have I got this right ?

I am interested also because if I go to europe will I have the same problem with my USA twitter account ......ummm ?
    Wanted: old barnfind VWs and Sports cars ,
    save them from the crusher , I have had my tetanus shots so rust does not scare me ,
    anything considered even parts cars

Feedback Score
    Hi trackVW!

The last time I was in Europe in 2018, I don't know if I used Twitter at all. FB, yes, but maybe not Twitter. I've never had a problem with Twitter needing a phone # for verification while in Canada.

Anyway, if it's important to you that you have a real US phone # available for receiving text verifications, see if the $3/mo Ultra Mobile plan with WiFi calling/texting I described above will work for your needs.

I can't explain the issue TexasPhone is experiencing with Twitter needing a real US phone # for verifications, but TexasPhone's guess above may actually be the reason.

EDIT:
    trackVW, in your case, if you are just visiting Europe for a vacation, if your current US cell phone plan includes WiFi calling, it should be just as good as the $3/mo Ultra Mobile plan. The vacation scenario is different than TexasPhone's, who is there for an extended period.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast