Device(s)
    nexus and RIP Motorola flip phone
    Carrier(s)
    T -Mobile ATT
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    Hi trackVW!

EDIT:
    trackVW, in your case, if you are just visiting Europe for a vacation, if your current US cell phone plan includes WiFi calling, it should be just as good as the $3/mo Ultra Mobile plan. The vacation scenario is different than TexasPhone's, who is there for an extended period.
    Hi , problem is you need to be signed into a WiFi network to get WiFi calling , normally you are moving around and the WiFi networks is at home or hotel ,

Next is that Europe and more in Germany have been putting more rules out concerning privacy , so that might be Twitters problem ,

And when anyone sends a code for 2 part verification , that code is only good for a short time , will you be signed into a Wifi network then ?

If I was living in Germany I would be be checking with with US military that are stationed there , they must have this problem too,

Cheers
    Wanted: old barnfind VWs and Sports cars ,
    save them from the crusher , I have had my tetanus shots so rust does not scare me ,
    anything considered even parts cars

Feedback Score
    trackVW, are you using Mint Mobile? If yes, Mint has a paygo international service with $5, $10, or $20 top-ups. Would that work?

https://www.mintmobile.com/features/...ional-roaming/

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    TexasPhone,

i would go with a Truphone prepaid sim card. You'll get a US number and can received text messages while in Germany (or the rest of Europe).

https://www.truphone.com/us/consumer/sim/

The Truphone prepaid sim card cost $30 with $15 credit.

Eric

Feedback Score
    When I put my Truphone # in at some carrier lookup sites, it shows as a non-wireless #. Do you know if Truphone works for 2FA texts from all banks / services? I've seen reports saying it doesn't, but I have never personally tried.

https://freecarrierlookup.com/
    Carrier: Level 3 Communications, LLC
    Is Wireless: n

https://phonecarriercheck.com/
    CARRIER LEVEL 3 COMMUNICATIONS, LLC
    TYPE fixed line

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. D. View Post

However Truphone often doesn't work (experienced this earlier this month) and I would not recommend for two-factor authentication. See this support page for more info.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T -Mobile ATT
    Feedback Score
    trackVW, are you using Mint Mobile? If yes, Mint has a paygo international service with $5, $10, or $20 top-ups. Would that work?

https://www.mintmobile.com/features/...ional-roaming/
    yes I am using Mint on one of my phones , I gave that number to the Texas guy to try and it came up as a good Tmobile number , so that would work ,
    My other phone I use for calling / text is on a Tmobile gold rewards and thats what I have received texts overseas ,

I think there is a simple way that the GIs know that will work in Europe,

I am just trying to help and learn , because if this 2 factor setup is normal in Germany or Europe I would like to understand it for the next after Covid time I go there , as how would you 2 factor a credit card you plan on using if it asks you too ?

So best to learn before you need it !

Device(s)
    iPhone 11
    Carrier(s)
    Consumer Cellular, FreeUP Mobile, FreedomPop; Formerly Truphone, Google Fi, T-Mo Prepaid Gold Reward
    Feedback Score
    When I put my Truphone # in at some carrier lookup sites, it shows as a non-wireless #. Do you know if Truphone works for 2FA texts from all banks / services? I've seen reports saying it doesn't, but I have never personally tried.

https://freecarrierlookup.com/
    Carrier: Level 3 Communications, LLC
    Is Wireless: n

https://phonecarriercheck.com/
    CARRIER LEVEL 3 COMMUNICATIONS, LLC
    TYPE fixed line
    As you noted from my previous post, it definitely does not work for all 2FA codes here in the US.
    Trying to come up with some sort of signature line...

Device(s)
    LG G Stylo
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by trackVW View Post
    because if this 2 factor setup is normal in Germany or Europe I would like to understand it for the next after Covid time I go there , as how would you 2 factor a credit card you plan on using if it asks you too ?

So best to learn before you need it !
    Why would you set up your cc in Europe once you get there. Why not do the advance notice you will be using the card in Germany, etc. while still in the US to avoid the issue? And why wouldn't you just use the cc app on your phone instead?

Feedback Score
    Why i came here after reading countless "plans" is that there's no way to tell whether a Marketing Description will meet my needs before you have to pay to Experiment with the end result.

I find that i can't describe my problem and have, evidently, US cellphone customers understand or believe it just exactly as I describe it.

No matter how clearly I have described it step-by-step.

Feedback Score
    Actually, because of the threading, I read your single post about Twitter behavior before i saw your post about the Pay-Go plan.

Feedback Score

My problem is so precise that I must talk directly to an Expert.

Let's take Twitter.

Twitter now, much, much more than EVER in my 8 years of having Twitter accounts CHECKS AHEAD OF TIME on the Validity of the number. SKYPE or any Number provider using VOIP is REJECTED as soon as you submit that number.

As you know, there are services that show what KIND of # in the USA and who whether it is a Virtual number or a Mobile number tracing to a Mobile Service company like AT&T, T-Mobile, Verizon, etc.

Twitter now depends on 2-factor verification in TWO CASES -- No matter what you might read
    Case 1: You want to start a new Twitter account.
    As before in pre-2021 you can make up a Username (not in use yet) and give Twitter an email address and you seem Good to Go AS BEFORE in Twitter's history.
    BUT /CHANGE/ when you log back in to your new Twitter account you find that the Option Twitter used to have to use 2-factor or NOT is GONE.
    NOPE. You started you new account with a valid email. You verified your email when Twitter sent you the link to click on. Twitter congratulated you for verifying your groovy spiffy keen new Twitter account.
    BUT
    Twitter NOW insists on you adding a NEW Mobile or Landline telephone number. No getting around it!
    After you type in a number Twitter auto-checks and quickly announces the Number is Invalid. Please submit a new number.
    If you can't supply anything but a VOIP that many phone plans give you for "roaming" plans you are stuck. Your new Twitter account is unreachable and nothing but a valid Telephone provider's landline or mobile number will work.

IF I already had a Mobile Telephone provider in the USA I can work out a solution, maybe, by upgrading to an international roaming sim that also forwards SMS messages when i take my phone abroad and plug in a new sim.

But the complication Is HERE in Europe. I have to have a technical protocol talking between the mobile service provider in the USA and the European telcos. NONE of the marketing "features" are sufficient to commit my cash too until I know I can give a real mobile phone number from the USA to Twitter and then see the SMS messages sent in the USA arrive shortly afterward in my German located phone.

The only way I can get this pulled together is to be in communication with a real live expert who can fill in all the huge HOLES that all the MARKETING VERBIAGE can not specifically guarantee.

But I see that this site, while wanting to give me a solution, can't offer me that International expertise.

I've checked the ExPat sites but GI's and most workers already had a mobile phone plan in the USA before they crossed the Atlantic.

Thank you for all who tried to point me in the right direction!

Feedback Score
    Simple, stop using Twitter... It's worthless BS anyway.
    Twitter terms of service won't allow the US style account usage in EU, because of their new privacy regulations, more stringent. Also advertisers on Twitter want to target local markets, so that's another reason for localization.

As for military people, most of them have a plan that allows them to SMS/data roam in EU indefinitely (Sprint or T-Mobile come to mind, Google Fi also), the US cell companies allow that for deployed military (they ask for verification).
    Regardless, most of them choose to get a local SIM, much cheaper. They have a couple of US banks represented on the major US bases in Europe, so that's not a big deal to them, because they have that specific bank/credit union as their bank.

If you are not military, and try that roaming long term, your account might have the service cut for excessive roaming.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T -Mobile ATT
    Feedback Score
    Do you only have to give that phone number once , or do they keep asking for it ?

if it was only once you could use a Mint mobile trial sim thats good for 7 days ,
    you activate it over the internet , and it includes WiFi calling.....

This only works if Twitter only wants to verify that number once ,

And is Twitter the only one doing this , or is it also going to be needed for Facebook etc in the future ?

Carrier(s)
    Truphone, FreeUp, FreedomPop US & MX, Toggle UK, Piranha, Netzclub DE, Simyo ES, Three UK
    Feedback Score
    TexasPhone, why can't you just use a German prepaid SIM / number? That's the easiest way to get a non-VOIP number you can receive SMS on without paying an ongoing monthly fee. Check Netzclub in Germany for a prepaid SIM that doesn't expire and doesn't require top-ups (and includes 200MB data per month).

If you need the cheapest US non-VOIP number you can get which will work outside the US, the already mentioned Ultra Mobile $3/month plan is the solution.

Feedback Score

German Pre-Paid

Germany requires that Pre-Paid SIMS must contain all the same address, bank account info as a regular mobile contract.

Whatever social media accounts I use this German number for are then tracked under the very restrictive German speech laws instead of "just" Twitter guidelines in the USA (in theory).

I log in using a USA Vpn & I want to have a Mobile number matching that region in the USA.

Device(s)
    Moto X4, Moto E5+, Any and all Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Dumb question, but do you have a friend, family member or co-conspirator in the US that can assist you?

You might try a trick I did for my kids when they traveled abroad for school, and our regular phones didn't have international roaming.

I set them up with data SIMs that worked in Europe, put US-based Google Voice numbers on their phones (I know that doesn't work for 2FA- hear me out!) and sent them on their way.

Meanwhile, I put their real US SIMs in some old Android phones (they needed to be Android 5 or 6 or below due to the better security in newer Android) and put an SMS forwarding app on the phones, and set all incoming texts to automatically get forwarded to their GV number.

So, to replicate this, your US based compatriot needs to find a crap used old Android phone, a cheap prepaid plan that includes enough texts for your needs, and setup an SMS forwarder app to auto forward all texts to your GV #, plug the phone into a charger 24/7 and walk away.

When any text hits your US prepaid phone, that same phone will immediately copy the text and send it to your GV number that you'd receive on whatever phone you're using in Germany.

Yeah, something might go wrong- the charger gets unplugged, no one notices and the phone dies. Or it freezes once a month or two (it is Android after all...) and needs to be power cycled or some other peril- you might need your USA based friend to fiddle with it on rare occasions to keep it running- but this at least works without having to test and try a dozen sketchy services in hopes one works for you.

Good luck!

Sent from my moto g(7) plus using Tapatalk
    --
    Todd Allcock, Microsoft MVP: Mobile Devices 2007-2011

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast