Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: $15 Plan — activation, tax and other fees?

Carrier(s)
    Twigby & Tello
    Feedback Score

$15 Plan — activation, tax and other fees?

Does anyone use the $15 plan at T-Mobile? (I hardly use data.) If so, are there added monthly fees and an activation fee when signing up? I'm so used to not paying these fees that they could be a significant factor in my choice. For example, Tello charges $10 even, and taxes in Idaho are 7 cents per month. And that's all I pay, $10.07 (for unlimited talk and text, plus a GB of data). But, right now, the Tello compatibility checker is on the fritz and I want to test a Nokia phone on the T-Mobile network, so that's why I'm looking at T-Mobile as (probably) a temporary deal.

Thanks for any information.
    Blackberry Q10 on Twigby — Nokia 6300 4G on Tello & H2O

Feedback Score
    It's been reported the taxes & fees are around $5 a month. Think it's very State dependent though.
    I will be Judged on how I helped the poor, sick & others in need; strangers & loved ones alike.

Visible (Verizon) UTT & Unlimited Data $25/mo
    Liberty Wireless (T-Mobile) UTT 07.26.21
    T-Mobile Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.05.22
    Truphone (AT&T) every 180 days by 07.04.21

Feedback Score
    No activation fees, but will need a TMobile sim. No extra fees if drawing from prepaid balance, so buying TMobile prepaid card from Target.com (or wherever that doesn't charge fees or sales tax) will avoid the extra fees.

Feedback Score
    No activation fee, just need a SIM, usually around $10 (or activated on eSIM for free with the app if you have an iPhone that supports it). It's basically tax and E911 and those can vary be location (where I am, it's about $2), but as others have mentioned, if you buy the refill cards, there's no extra charges (in theory, you'd be paying the taxes when buying the refill cards, but some merchants don't charge it).

I'm running the $15 Connect plan right now, going to upgrade to the $25 one with the next billing cycle, but have also used the Mobile Internet plans ($10 2GB) on other devices, which uses the same account management system. One tip is if you sign up online, even though it allows you to pick a PIN longer than 6 digits, use 6 digits. If you do more, you may run into trouble when it comes time to make the account login for My T-Mobile. Other than that, things mostly work as expected and you get the same data priority as postpaid (which may be nice, depending on your location). Also, your account number is displayed on both the order page and when you log in on the account, so these plans are good for if you plan to port out later.

Device(s)
    nexus and RIP Motorola flip phone
    Carrier(s)
    T -Mobile ATT
    Feedback Score
    I would love to use the connect plan but as far as I see there is no International calling or Texting ,'
    Wanted: old barnfind VWs and Sports cars ,
    save them from the crusher , I have had my tetanus shots so rust does not scare me ,
    anything considered even parts cars

Device(s)
    A71 5G, Pixel 3aXL/4a5G, Moto G7 Power/E6/Z3/G6 Play
    Carrier(s)
    H2O, TMO, Xfinity, PagePlus, TracFone
    Feedback Score
    If I convert my Legacy Gold Rewards plan (old billing system) to this one, can I still keep my balance?

Device(s)
    LG G Stylo
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Yes. You need to contact CS and they will sign you up and transfer the balance.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mframe View Post
    If I convert my Legacy Gold Rewards plan (old billing system) to this one, can I still keep my balance?
    Yep, there's a few steps since the two billing systems are treated separately. It may almost make sense to sign up with a new number on the Connect line and then have customer service move the balance and "port" the number over. Unlike most other carriers, T-Mobile lets you port/migrate anything into the new billing system that can end up there except numbers already in there (old prepaid, postpaid, MVNOs, other carriers, etc. all work). You can even do it yourself through the account management interface, but it probably would make sense to call customer service to move the balance at least.

Device(s)
    A71 5G, Pixel 3aXL/4a5G, Moto G7 Power/E6/Z3/G6 Play
    Carrier(s)
    H2O, TMO, Xfinity, PagePlus, TracFone
    Feedback Score
    Thank you both for your responses. I have 2 more questions about the Connect plan. Is there an expiration date (90 or 365 days, depending on refill amount), like the Legacy plan, or does the Connect plan keep going as long as there is sufficient balance?

Also, if I have a current T-Mobile locked phone on the Connect plan, will they app-unlock it after I add $100?

Feedback Score
    Thank you both for your responses. I have 2 more questions about the Connect plan. Is there an expiration date (90 or 365 days, depending on refill amount), like the Legacy plan, or does the Connect plan keep going as long as there is sufficient balance?
    It seems funds basically "expire" one year after you last loaded/paid (at least I could've sworn it said on the main page of the account management site), but if you add more, it kicks the date out further. The denomination doesn't matter.

Device(s)
    NUU X6 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Hello Mobile, US Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Tello's IMEI checker is based on T-Mobile's which is also on the fritz.
    Drako Swiftclaw

Webmaster for Drako's Website Services
    Review Team Member for Drako's Wireless Review
    Independent Tech for DTech Seattle

Feedback Score
    It's month to month.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Gotadimple View Post
    Yes. You need to contact CS and they will sign you up and transfer the balance.
    Did you actually accomplish this or know someone who did? Several months ago my sister tried and was told it was not possible. She ended up switching her number to the new plan which required a new sim and sacrificed the money left on her legacy Gold plan.

Feedback Score

Also, if I have a current T-Mobile locked phone on the Connect plan, will they app-unlock it after I add $100?
    I tried asking T-Mobile about this ( I believe you are discussing T-Mobile Connect plans), and the information given was the plans along that "Connect" are all MONTHLY. You get 30 days before expiration. Either must pay monthly or do monthly with auto-pay.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by joseg2016 View Post
    I tried asking T-Mobile about this ( I believe you are discussing T-Mobile Connect plans), and the information given was the plans along that "Connect" are all MONTHLY. You get 30 days before expiration. Either must pay monthly or do monthly with auto-pay.
    I think mframe was asking if there was an expiration on the balance (i.e. if you load more than your monthly service cost, how long will it stay if unused?) From what I had seen, the web site used to list a year from the last time you reloaded (right on the front page), but it disappeared recently. It didn't seem to matter the denomination loaded or method either.

Just for reference, AT&T Prepaid gives expirations to different dollar amounts loaded: https://forums.att.com/conversations...d5f2f606407482

It also appears that they do treat it as an actual month instead of 30 days like some prepaid services—mine are set for the 1st and the 19th and that seems to always be the renewal date regardless of if the month has 28, 30, or 31 days.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast