Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: So what's the network management strategy now for Magenta Max? There's gotta be one...

Feedback Score

So what's the network management strategy now for Magenta Max? There's gotta be one...

Hi all!

I’ll start this post by saying I’m not here to point fingers… you pay a premium for that Magenta Max plan and so you can use it to its fullest extent. But, some of you go all out. 500-600-700 gigs. It’s very impressive! I’ve always said I don’t care about my data usage or the impact it has on the tower because >50 gigs I’m given lower priority if the tower is congested, I’m fine with that. (My data usage never exceeds 250 gigs on any of my lines with One Plus Promo)

Out comes Magenta Max. Data without a priority setup? No 50 gigs? No, it can’t be! I was quite surprised and frankly scratching my head as to why T-Mobile was doing this? Do they want their network to tank? Hear me out... before you go into the comments and say T-Mobile has tons of spectrum and lots of recent tower upgrades… what’s stopping someone from dragging one tower down? Now that there is no more priority leveling setup for magenta max one very dedicated member of the Magenta family could really go at it! Now sure the ToS and other legal documentation does say they can kick you off for causing a negative impact on other customers or significant impact (not quoting but instead paraphrasing) but T-Mobile has yet to enforce that… I see it now, the headlines will crumble T-Mobile PR and it’s Magenta Max plan if they were to ever suspend a customer for using too much data. Which begs the question, what’s T-Mobile’s plan to not screw its customers in dense markets with limited capacity? If you ask me, 5G isn’t there yet and this plan is premature (Think about the 5G speeds we've seen indoors, the majority are subpar with people saying LTE does a better job). With enough lines on one account and the right network usage pattern you can really congest a tower. My speeds have remained steady thus far since the new plans release. Will T-Mobile begin enforcing hotspot bypass methods again? Was there a mew network management team put in place behind the scenes to make sure some customers who put strain on the network or a “small fraction” as T-Mobile likes to call it will be managed? But, technically speaking, this plan has no network management for on device data... right?

I can’t imagine that staying for long. Because, by the looks of it, they’re opening the flood gates to abuse and misuse galore. Cellular networks as a whole are good, but they’re not THAT good.

Happy to hear your thoughts everyone.

Am I missing something?

Device(s)
    One Plus 8 (T-Mobile), Samsung S10e (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Hot spot is capped at 50GB. If they wanted to sell me on this, I'd be needing to aggregate all my hotspots onto a separate device, giving me about 200GB. Personally, it's cheaper for me to get TMobile home internet than Magenta Max.

Sent from my IN2017 using HoFo mobile app
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

Device(s)
    iPhone 12 ProMax, OnePlus 8 5G
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    T-Mobile has plenty of capacity, and it will not "tank" just because the QoS settings for a few users have changed.

The only ones I know now on Plus, and later Max is the "nerds", and the "normal" people I know usually just stick to the base plan as they do not ever bother to even see if they're getting HD.

With them having ~300MHz between low/mid-band, plus mmWave to throw up where they need it.. This plan is more than welcome in my book as AT&T does not throttle on Elite and it's got 100GB QoS, or you can buy a "Business Unlimited Elite" for the same price and get no depri, and 100GB hotspot, with unthrottled video as well.

Hell, even my AT&T prepaid line does not throttle video and AT&T's network data wise has held up just fine.
    T-Mobile: Magenta Amplified (airline employee plan)
    AT$T: $50 Unlimited Elite Prepaid promo (for more “rural” areas)

Feedback Score
    If they start to feel service is taking a hit, couldn't they just quit selling it, like all the past plans that are no longer offered? Problem solved and we have a new, grandfathered plan everyone envies. Future upgrades would outgrow the decline.

I have ONE with Kickback and HookUp, Plus Promo, 2 for $100 with a free line, etc. Try and get that now.
    Last edited by daleraver; 03-08-2021 at 07:39 AM.

Feedback Score
    Interesting thought. I sometimes asked myself if anyone ever had the experience they were prioritized over other folks. Usually, with tower congestion, I found every one to have a rather crappy experience, including postpaid vs. prepaid, (but my anecdotal experience is not really vast).

I could see this becoming a potential problem. People who pay for MAX expecting better and higher speeds at all times than other plans on the same tower and when the anecdotal experience does not live to it badmouthing T-Mo. But then again, how do you really know you are prioritized over anyone else?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Hmm.. didn't think they have 300MHz of mid/low band even considering B41

B2 20x20
    B4 20x20
    B12 5x5
    B71/N71 20x20
    B41 100 (TDD )

240 isn't bad.... That's in 'peak' areas,. Some areas have much less B2/B4. B41 is huge.. but it is TDD, dividing up upload and download as a percentage.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kmetz View Post
    Hi all!

I’ll start this post by saying I’m not here to point fingers… you pay a premium for that Magenta Max plan and so you can use it to its fullest extent. But, some of you go all out. 500-600-700 gigs. It’s very impressive! I’ve always said I don’t care about my data usage or the impact it has on the tower because >50 gigs I’m given lower priority if the tower is congested, I’m fine with that. (My data usage never exceeds 250 gigs on any of my lines with One Plus Promo)

Out comes Magenta Max. Data without a priority setup? No 50 gigs? No, it can’t be! I was quite surprised and frankly scratching my head as to why T-Mobile was doing this? Do they want their network to tank? Hear me out... before you go into the comments and say T-Mobile has tons of spectrum and lots of recent tower upgrades… what’s stopping someone from dragging one tower down? Now that there is no more priority leveling setup for magenta max one very dedicated member of the Magenta family could really go at it! Now sure the ToS and other legal documentation does say they can kick you off for causing a negative impact on other customers or significant impact (not quoting but instead paraphrasing) but T-Mobile has yet to enforce that… I see it now, the headlines will crumble T-Mobile PR and it’s Magenta Max plan if they were to ever suspend a customer for using too much data. Which begs the question, what’s T-Mobile’s plan to not screw its customers in dense markets with limited capacity? If you ask me, 5G isn’t there yet and this plan is premature (Think about the 5G speeds we've seen indoors, the majority are subpar with people saying LTE does a better job). With enough lines on one account and the right network usage pattern you can really congest a tower. My speeds have remained steady thus far since the new plans release. Will T-Mobile begin enforcing hotspot bypass methods again? Was there a mew network management team put in place behind the scenes to make sure some customers who put strain on the network or a “small fraction” as T-Mobile likes to call it will be managed? But, technically speaking, this plan has no network management for on device data... right?

I can’t imagine that staying for long. Because, by the looks of it, they’re opening the flood gates to abuse and misuse galore. Cellular networks as a whole are good, but they’re not THAT good.

Happy to hear your thoughts everyone.

Am I missing something?
    If you look at the full legal terms it states that the network management clause still applies. It says that without notice they can suspend, slow, or terminate anyone for misuse, abnormal use, or interfering with the networks ability to provide quality service to others.

I would imagine if someone is constantly a heavy user on an already strained tower then they would enact the clause and either slow or terminate the user.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by formercanuck View Post
    Hmm.. didn't think they have 300MHz of mid/low band even considering B41

B2 20x20
    B4 20x20
    B12 5x5
    B71/N71 20x20
    B41 100 (TDD )

240 isn't bad.... That's in 'peak' areas,. Some areas have much less B2/B4. B41 is huge.. but it is TDD, dividing up upload and download as a percentage.

Do they not have access to ~190MHz of B41 in a lot of areas? plus the additional 40MHz they bought in this latest C-Band auction?

I know a lot of the B41 is through EBS, but regardless they have access to it.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I guess I'm wrong. At least one article pointed to have an average of 150MHz of EBS... Which is quite a lot. I know in my area, 40MHz is deployed on LTE for T-Mobile, and I'm assuming 60 to 80 is on n71. I was initially under the impression that TMobile was deploying it's B41 with the same spectrum as Sprint. It is possible that they have at leadt 160 in my area ... As Sprint still has its service up with 40MHz as well. Refarming this to NR will give them a lot of capacity... Question then is how long to deploy most of it at a good density

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    I guess I'm wrong. At least one article pointed to have an average of 150MHz of EBS... Which is quite a lot. I know in my area, 40MHz is deployed on LTE for T-Mobile, and I'm assuming 60 to 80 is on n71. I was initially under the impression that TMobile was deploying it's B41 with the same spectrum as Sprint. It is possible that they have at leadt 160 in my area ... As Sprint still has its service up with 40MHz as well. Refarming this to NR will give them a lot of capacity... Question then is how long to deploy most of it at a good density

Yeah.. I had a few beers before replying last time.. but if my memory serves correctly total is ~140-190MHz depending on the market, and Sprint was only using 3xCA @ 20MHz each, plus whatever they had set aside to be wasted on MagicBoxes.

Once they get the MagicBoxes shut down, I am hoping to likely have 100MHz of n41 and hopefully ~40-60MHz of LTE sill up and going (I love n41, but there's a LOT of LTE phones that could take advantage of that capacity)

100MHz of n41, along with n71.. should get consistent ~500Mbps indoors for them, and adding in C-Band/mmWave for shorter range applications will give them an absolutely killer network to be rivaled by nobody.

Feedback Score
    Hot spot is capped at 50GB.
    40 GB then 600 kbps

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brad15 View Post
    100MHz of n41, along with n71.. should get consistent ~500Mbps indoors for them, and adding in C-Band/mmWave for shorter range applications will give them an absolutely killer network to be rivaled by nobody.
    T-Mobile got C-band pretty much in the top 50 markets and next to nothing outside of those. Verizon has 140-200 MHz of c-band nationwide. There is another c-band auction in the 3450-3550 MHz range which any bidder can get up to 40 MHz. While T-Mobile could certainty participate I suspect they won't as there is 2.5 GHz auction coming up and while Verizon could participate in that, I doubt they will. Let's just say each will stay out of the others lane. So Verizon could end up with 180-240 MHz nationwide of c-band. As far as mmwave goes. Sorry Verizon's mmwave holdings dwarfs T-Mobile an at&t combined. that's just factual. So enough of the hyperbole. And as long as their "ultra capacity" network caps hotspot at 40 GB then lowers speeds to a paltry 600 kbps then the bragging should be turned down a notch. if it's so ultra why not at least 6 Mbps instead of 600 Mbps? Why not 400 GB instead of 40 GB?

Carrier(s)
    Sprint/T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    T-Mobile got C-band pretty much in the top 50 markets and next to nothing outside of those. Verizon has 140-200 MHz of c-band nationwide. There is another c-band auction in the 3450-3550 MHz range which any bidder can get up to 40 MHz. While T-Mobile could certainty participate I suspect they won't as there is 2.5 GHz auction coming up and while Verizon could participate in that, I doubt they will. Let's just say each will stay out of the others lane. So Verizon could end up with 180-240 MHz nationwide of c-band. As far as mmwave goes. Sorry Verizon's mmwave holdings dwarfs T-Mobile an at&t combined. that's just factual. So enough of the hyperbole. And as long as their "ultra capacity" network caps hotspot at 40 GB then lowers speeds to a paltry 600 kbps then the bragging should be turned down a notch. if it's so ultra why not at least 6 Mbps instead of 600 Mbps? Why not 400 GB instead of 40 GB?
    The answer to the question asked is easy, they want to sell customers their home internet service on top of phone service, not have people just power their homes with their phone plan. Don’t worry, Verizon will do the same thing, you won’t be left out .

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Theghostlad82 View Post
    Don’t worry, Verizon will do the same thing, you won’t be left out .
    yeah you expect that from Verizon not the supposed un-carrier. But considering they are now auto-opting you in to selling your data I shouldn't be shocked. By the way a 400 GB hotspot with 6 Mbps after would still be inadequate for most people anyway as far as replacing home internet. And the paltry hotspot barely more than the other 2 is not enough of differential to get Verizon or at&t customers to move over and not enough to force Verizon or at&t to adjust their current plans which was supposed to be T-Mobile's main job.

Name:  6b0a546d583515eb2e20ff8f6ea99618.jpeg
Views: 148
Size:  17.5 KB

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    In general, I knew it was a matter of time until Tmobile became more "carrier like" . I still consider Tmobile to be the more budget carrier, as it truly doesn't have a lot of the overhead or reliability that the other 2 do, and is still generally less expensive, but not by much, as it's plans are becoming.more expensive. I treat Tmobile the same way I treat At&t and VZW. At school me point, I'll leave for another carrier. Customer service is always some that is awful on every carrier I've had.
    Magenta Max is too expensive for those on family plans, and many would rather have the ability to put data onto a home hotspot, especially during this past year

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast