Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: So what's the network management strategy now for Magenta Max? There's gotta be one...

Carrier(s)
    Sprint/T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

So what's the network management strategy now for Magenta Max? There's gotta be one...

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    yeah you expect that from Verizon not the supposed un-carrier. But considering they are now auto-opting you in to selling your data I shouldn't be shocked. By the way a 400 GB hotspot with 6 Mbps after would still be inadequate for most people anyway as far as replacing home internet. And the paltry hotspot barely more than the other 2 is not enough of differential to get Verizon or at&t customers to move over and not enough to force Verizon or at&t to adjust their current plans which was supposed to be T-Mobile's main job.

Attachment 168265
    Marketing slogans doesn’t mean they aren’t a business first. Selling data is a terrible move I agree, they should never of followed Verizon and AT&T’s lead on it, but, they did. Who claimed it was T-Mobile’s “job” to get Verizon to give you more stuff? Lol that’s a ludicrous statement.

As I said before, and you argued over and over about it, carriers aren’t looking to get mass numbers switching over from other carriers anymore. Churn is low on all 3 and all 3 are now focused on retention, and getting as much out of those customers as possible. This will include services like home internet. If their current offerings don’t work for you, stay with Verizon. I don’t think they will lose any sleep over it.

Device(s)
    One Plus 8 (T-Mobile), Samsung S10e (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I'm not so sure about general retention. Tmobile is currently pushing growth, through it's attempt at 5g, and still being the budget carrier. If you're on an older plan and complain about service, you're less likely to be supported. Tmobile has no problem telling me where the door is when I complain about 5g site with sub 1Mbps service or dead zones. They'll sign you up for all sorts of service, such as TV, "Magenta Max", home internet, digits, or add ons for Scam Shield, but when it comes to support of service, it's "meh". I won't state that any carrier in great in this aspect.

Sent from my IN2017 using HoFo mobile app
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

Carrier(s)
    Sprint/T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by formercanuck View Post
    I'm not so sure about general retention. Tmobile is currently pushing growth, through it's attempt at 5g, and still being the budget carrier. If you're on an older plan and complain about service, you're less likely to be supported. Tmobile has no problem telling me where the door is when I complain about 5g site with sub 1Mbps service or dead zones. They'll sign you up for all sorts of service, such as TV, "Magenta Max", home internet, digits, or add ons for Scam Shield, but when it comes to support of service, it's "meh". I won't state that any carrier in great in this aspect.

They're not really focused on outside growth though. Back in the day they would run specific promos to lure verizon customers over. They ain't doing that anymore. Internal growth is their main source of growth nowadays (though this is the same on all carriers now) tmobile added over 1 million new postpaid lines last quarter, yet only added a a little over 200,000 new accounts. Carriers are focused on churn and growing from inside. All 3 have started taking this route. Will they compare what they offer against the competition? Sure, will they take shots at each other in ads? Of course, will they aggressively go after each other's customers with aggressive promotions to get them to switch over? No.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    This is true. They know their market, and it's mostly urban. Similarly, they're hoping to sell based on services that they can offer through 5g, and IoT. When Tmobile gets serious, it'll become more like at&t and Verizon, with corporate and government contracts, true 24x7 support, more redundancy and cost will increase.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Theghostlad82 View Post
    Back in the day they would run specific promos to lure verizon customers over. They ain't doing that anymore.
    Sure they are:

There’s never been a better time to join T-Mobile. We’ll reimburse your remaining device balance and early termination fees, up to $650 per line—on up to 5 lines—via trade-in credit and virtual prepaid card.

https://www.t-mobile.com/resources/f...itch-carriers#

Carrier(s)
    Sprint/T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jet1000 View Post
    Sure they are:

There’s never been a better time to join T-Mobile. We’ll reimburse your remaining device balance and early termination fees, up to $650 per line—on up to 5 lines—via trade-in credit and virtual prepaid card.

https://www.t-mobile.com/resources/f...itch-carriers#
    Huh, thought they dropped that promo. Good to know though thanks for sharing it.

Device(s)
    iPhone 12 Pro Max / iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    Pacific Bell Wireless / AT&T MX / Movistar MX / Telcel MX
    Feedback Score
    In general, I knew it was a matter of time until Tmobile became more "carrier like" . I still consider Tmobile to be the more budget carrier, as it truly doesn't have a lot of the overhead or reliability that the other 2 do, and is still generally less expensive, but not by much, as it's plans are becoming.more expensive. I treat Tmobile the same way I treat At&t and VZW. At school me point, I'll leave for another carrier. Customer service is always some that is awful on every carrier I've had.
    Magenta Max is too expensive for those on family plans, and many would rather have the ability to put data onto a home hotspot, especially during this past year
    The good times can't last forever and T-Mobile has the raise the ARPU in order to fund upgrades to its network and even with the expansion of their network they can always justify raising prices. The "Uncarrier" was a plan to bring about its turn around after the AT&T/T-Mobile attempted merger, first you bring in these insane promos that AT&T and Verizon will never try to match or otherwise try to meet half way, as your subscribers grow you tweak the promos which offer slightly less but not completely to give too much to AT&T and Verizon, and finally to up the prices slightly yet below AT&T and Verizon because you want to be see as giving more than the other two, but being careful not to become like them. At that point people see less of a reason to switch out of AT&T and Verizon if you charge like them.

T-Mobile will always try to differentiate themselves from AT&T and Verizon, but they also want to have the pricing close to like them so for them, it's a matter of changing things around and charging more (more than what they used to when they started being the Uncarrier). They're not struggling anymore like they used to.

And, I have noticed that that the "cool" image is slowly disappearing ever since John Legere left...

Feedback Score
    In general, I knew it was a matter of time until Tmobile became more "carrier like"
    I'm glad. To me "uncarrier" went hand in hand with poor coverage.

Device(s)
    NUU X6 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Hello Mobile, US Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NotABiot View Post
    I'm glad. To me "uncarrier" went hand in hand with poor coverage.
    Which just isn't true any more.

Almost all that "breakup" money from att went into upgrading and expanding their network.

Sent from my S6003L using HoFo mobile app
    Drako Swiftclaw

Webmaster for Drako's Website Services
    Review Team Member for Drako's Wireless Review
    Independent Tech for DTech Seattle

Carrier(s)
    Sprint/T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by i0wnj00 View Post
    And, I have noticed that that the "cool" image is slowly disappearing ever since John Legere left...

I agree. Mike is probably the better guy to lead the new company, John thrived in the underdog us against the world scenario, and that really doesn’t apply anymore,but, John was also the voice and I’d argue the heart and soul of T-Mobile. It’s kind of similar to Jobs and Cook. Tim took apple into the stratosphere and apple has never been bigger than under Tim Cook’s leadership. He was the better guy to make apple what it is today, but, apple lost something when jobs died, jobs was the voice, and heart and soul, of apple.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jmac32here View Post
    Which just isn't true any more.

Almost all that "breakup" money from att went into upgrading and expanding their network.

It's much less true now. They have closed a lot of the gap, but AT&T and Verizon still have a lot more coverage.

I use T-Mobile. There are massive dead areas all around me, that are bright with AT&T blue and Verizon red, but no magenta. But I am paying a lot less, so I put up with the inferior network

Device(s)
    NUU X6 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Hello Mobile, US Mobile
    Feedback Score
    It's much less true now. They have closed a lot of the gap, but AT&T and Verizon still have a lot more coverage.

I use T-Mobile. There are massive dead areas all around me, that are bright with AT&T blue and Verizon red, but no magenta. But I am paying a lot less, so I put up with the inferior network
    Have to take into consideration much of that funding had gone into newer bands that quite a few phones still don't support. So the gaps could be actual gaps, or a device not supporting b12/71.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jmac32here View Post
    Have to take into consideration much of that funding had gone into newer bands that quite a few phones still don't support. So the gaps could be actual gaps, or a device not supporting b12/71.

Oh, I'm smart enough to get the latest phones (radio-wise anyway) and check tower locations.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score

Not only a lot of dead areas, but a lot of either 'paper thin coverage' or sites that have been given 5g to satisfy someone's on the books requirements. They aren't building like At&t has been with Firstnet, and are - at least in the places that I've been - cherry picking deployments for colocation and fiber. I.e. T-mobile where I've been to is not very likely to build where it can't easily get fiber/site or at least microwave backhaul. Some rural Pacbell sites have been upgraded to 5g but still rely on T1'S

Device(s)
    NUU X6 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Hello Mobile, US Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Oh, I'm smart enough to get the latest phones (radio-wise anyway) and check tower locations.
    Funny thing though, I'm still seeing them selling new devices missing one of those bands.

For instance, I've read a complaint on reddit about a device that supports 5g n71, but not lte 71.

The user in question can confirm its not an actual coverage hole (has 2 other lines that both work in the same spot and one is 5g).

Yet because its in the unlikely scenario where the device supports sa n71, but T-mobile only has nsa n71 that only tethers off lte 71. Since the phone doesn't support the one band, the phone shows that spot to be a dead spot - even though the two other lines work in that same spot.

Not saying they don't have coverage holes. Coverage holes are a reality with any and all carriers. Just saying a device missing even one band can make it seem that way and give a customer a bad experience.

So yes, your experience will always be location dependent, but even the devices themselves can still affect that experience.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast