Thread: Wrong phone number displayed in settings, iMessage & Facetime after port-in

Feedback Score

Wrong phone number displayed in settings, iMessage & Facetime after port-in

Hi Community,

I recently ported in a phone number to replace the existing one I had with my carrier. After this completed, I ran into a problem where under Settings|Phone Number, it shows my old number. It also displays this in "reachable at" for both iMessage & Facetime. I have followed the articles with regards to turning off both services, resetting network settings and ensuring I'm signed out of my AppleID.

When I reboot the phone, it still shows my old number under Settings|Phone and does not allow me to edit this. My AppleID trusted number has already been updated but when trying to enable iMessage or Facetime, it's reading the parameters from the device. Nothing seems to work...

As a result, I went to the store who provided a new SIM and upon inserting, the device STILL shows the old number. Realizing it may have to do with the device itself, I did a factory reset yet still, the same results. I then contact Apple Support who advised logging into my Apple account (Apple ID Login) and change my password. Once done, they told me to log out of the device & log back in thereby forcing the phone to read the parameters again from the Apple Server which should pull in the new credentials (number). Once complete, I was told to enable iMessage & Facetime again.

Went through this whole procedure only to encounter the same results. Quite frustrating so I'm hoping someone could chime in with some assistance? Thanks!

Feedback Score
    Issue is now resolved...

This is a known issue and there's many articles which go through steps to resolve. After fiddling around, there is no way to change the greyed out number under Settings|Phone. iMessage & Facetime read the Settings|Phone parameter so when I went into the iMessage & Facetime services, I clicked on use AppleID. This then changed the service to use my AppleID as primary method of contact. At this point, I then went into each service and clicked on the phone number, which was the old temporary number. This forced each service to ping the Apple Server to, I assume, check the validity of the number resulting in all 3 areas to update with my new number. What a pain in the arse but it's fixed & that's all that matters!

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max, iPad 8th Gen, MacBook Pro mid-2012 13”, Apple TV 4.
    Carrier(s)
    ROGERS
    Feedback Score

Wrong phone number displayed in settings, iMessage & Facetime after port-in

Changing your number on appleid.apple.com really helps too Glad to see you got it resolved!

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo