Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Move landline to VoIP

Feedback Score

Move landline to VoIP

What are the options out there to move my landline to a cheap VoIP.
    I looked into Ooma, but after they change taxes and fees on the free account, if you want caller ID that shows the business name too, that's premium, extra $10/month.
    I thought, great, I'll just get a free Google Voice number. Well.. I already used my cellphone number to get a free GV number and I am using that for different things, work related. I cannot add another GV number, even if I want to pay for it.
    What other VoIP providers are there that charge lower monthly fees for a phone number connected via VoIP?

Feedback Score
    I use MagicJack. Ported landline to them (for a small fee). Cost is about $30 for the entire year of service.

Just looked...current promo is $40/year.

Feedback Score
    Make another Gmail address and get another Google Voice number.

If you can't for whatever reason, Magicjack is only $40 a year. Less if you pay for multiple years.
    Sent from my LM-K920 using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VisionsDivine View Post
    Make another Gmail address and get another Google Voice number.
    Like I said, that was my first idea. Only that each GV number needs to be associated with a real wireless phone number. I already have associated my cell number with a GV number and I am using it.
    It would make no sense to get another cell plan just for that. Or maybe... it makes sense? I wonder what's the cheapest, voice only, cell plan?

Quote Originally Posted by mn1968 View Post
    I use MagicJack. Ported landline to them (for a small fee)...
    Just looked...current promo is $40/year.
    From their FAQ:
    Can someone call me with Session Initiation Protocol (SIP)?
    No, magicJack does not support SIP calls or SIP phones.
    I was looking to use a stand-alone device like Obihai. But I got the roadblock from above.
    Plus, now I see that even Obi might be in trouble:
    As of March 10th, 2021, sign-ups and renewals for OBiEXTRAs are closed to new and existing customers. If you have an active 1-year or 2-year OBiEXTRAs subscription, you will be refunded in-full.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SoNic67 View Post
    Like I said, that was my first idea. Only that each GV number needs to be associated with a real wireless phone number. I already have associated my cell number with a GV number and I am using it.
    It would make no sense to get another cell plan just for that. Or maybe... it makes sense? I wonder what's the cheapest, voice only, cell plan?

From their FAQ:

I was looking to use a stand-alone device like Obihai. But I got the roadblock from above.
    Plus, now I see that even Obi might be in trouble:
    Truphone is $30 to set up, comes with $15 credit, and doesn't expire. That could be an option if you want absolute rock bottom pricing and want to go with another Google Voice number.

I've had my parents on Magicjack for ten years now, and it does what it's advertised to do. Pretty much port a number to it, and it's one-and-done as long as you renew it.

Feedback Score
    It's been since 2015 that I did this, but I'm almost 100% sure that no additional phone # was required to port my AT&T landline # to GV.

GV did the verification using my AT&T landline # during the port process.

Of course, porting my AT&T landline # to a cell phone provider was part of the process to get that phone # to GV. But it was WELL worth the one-time hassle. In my case I was paying ~$35/mo total for my landline, so I've saved $2,100+ since then.

I think H2O Wireless or Page Plus are currently some of the cheapest options for temporarily porting your landline to a cell phone, at ~$10.

It's not required, but if you want it, you can also add e911.
    Google Voice 911 Service (Prices From Last Time I Checked)
    https://www.bulkvs.com/e911.html - $0.49/mo
    https://www.gv911.com/ - $1/mo

Here's a tutorial:
    https://steveborsch.com/gv/

Feedback Score
    Also, another issues that I see - I was recently asked by GV to re-confirm my cell phone number with a SMS.
    So I can't just use a temporary prepaid account and then drop that number, because thy might do the same.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VisionsDivine View Post
    Truphone is $30 to set up, comes with $15 credit, and doesn't expire. That could be an option if you want absolute rock bottom pricing and want to go with another Google Voice number.

I've had my parents on Magicjack for ten years now, and it does what it's advertised to do. Pretty much port a number to it, and it's one-and-done as long as you renew it.
    Truphone wants 5 pound/month for an US number.

Does MagickJack hardware requires to be plugged in the USB port of a computer?
    LE: Now I see that it does not

Name:  setup-without-computer.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  13.7 KB

Feedback Score
    I Googled Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) but don't really understand it or it's purpose for moving a landline to MagicJack/Ooma.

Feedback Score

MagicJack does need to be connected to your router

Feedback Score
    MagicJack does need to be connected to your router
    Oh, yeah, I'm fine with that.

Feedback Score
    I Googled Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) but don't really understand it or it's purpose for moving a landline to MagicJack/Ooma.
    I made the mistake to purchase already a Polycom Obihai OBI202 - 2 Port VoIP Phone Adapter Google Voice Fax. eBay, not returnable.
    Only to realize that I can't port my number and still keep my old GV number.
    So I was going to use my Freedom pop number for the verification SMS. But that SIM just got deactivated with their new plans.

Feedback Score

That's the UK site. Go to the US site

https://www.truphone.com/us/consumer/sim/

Feedback Score
    Also, another issues that I see - I was recently asked by GV to re-confirm my cell phone number with a SMS.
    So I can't just use a temporary prepaid account and then drop that number, because thy might do the same.
    No, that's wrong, too. You don't need ANY forwarding #. If you ignore that message, your GV # will continue to work over data just fine.

Feedback Score
    I made the mistake to purchase already a Polycom Obihai OBI202 - 2 Port VoIP Phone Adapter Google Voice Fax. eBay, not returnable.
    Only to realize that I can't port my number and still keep my old GV number.
    So I was going to use my Freedom pop number for the verification SMS. But that SIM just got deactivated with their new plans.
    Are you reading any of my posts? Yes, you can!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast