Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 89

Thread: Cheap Unlimited 2G data hotspot?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Location
    U.S.A.
    Posts
    50
    Device(s)
    Nokia 3390
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0

    Cheap Unlimited 2G data hotspot?

    Hello all,

    I'm looking to possibly replace my home DSL with a cheap mobile hot-spot plan. Cheap is the key phrase here. It would preferably work with a T-mobile hot spot device. Officially or unofficially; I'd be willing to try it if someone has had luck with it.

    I don't care about high-speed data as much as having an unlimited connection. I've found some plans like Tello data for $5/mo, but it seems that their "unlimited 2G" is 64Kbps, which is basically dial up.

    I've heard that Hello Mobile's unlimited "2G" is 256Kbps, which is far more reasonable. I'd consider anything with at least ISDN speed of 128K. I use E-mail, basic web browsing/searching, internet forums, and text Usenet primarily.

    If anyone has any plan suggestions, I'd love to hear them. The cheaper the better

    Thanks in advance!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    19,956
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S21 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    I don't think any modern carrier will activate/support 2G currently unless you already have it with the exception of select MVNO/prepaid. I have my doubts that you could still do it.
    Just another day in paradise.....

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Location
    U.S.A.
    Posts
    50
    Device(s)
    Nokia 3390
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    A 4G plan is fine; when I said "2G" I was referring to the unlimited data speed after the cap runs out.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    102
    Feedback Score
    0
    T-Mobile prepaid offers internet only plans starting at $5 for 500mb high speed with unlimited 2G speeds. I’m not sure if it’s 64 or 128kbps


    Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Location
    U.S.A.
    Posts
    50
    Device(s)
    Nokia 3390
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Do you know where to find the sign up listed? I couldn't find much of any info on their website. Much appreciated!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    1,427
    Feedback Score
    0
    Without consideration of unlimited, how much data a month do you think you need ? I replaced my dsl with a hotspot and do your kind of use. No streaming except occasional Youtube how to's for car or home repairs. I average about 10-12 GB a month.

    Do you currently have a TM hotspot?

    How's Verizon in your area ?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Location
    U.S.A.
    Posts
    50
    Device(s)
    Nokia 3390
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    I found the T-mo hotspot for like $10 on eBay, free shipping, lightly used 4G device. I haven't bought it yet, but I do have a bid in. I won't pay more than the $10, but I might win it.

    I probably use similar to what you use; I hardly stream at all. Just basic e-mail, text usenet, and forums for the most part. My DSL was out for 2 weeks last month into March, and I signed up for a dial up account for those 2 weeks. I don't have mobile internet or anything. It was possible, but miserable, and of course tied up my phone line. I could tolerate twice that speed I reckon.

    Verizon signal is fine. I'm open to anything cheap! My DSL is going up to $51/mo in April, and I can't fathom paying more than my current bill of $36 for 3 meg service. Apparently AT&T is no longer doing promo pricing on ADSL. Cable internet is about the same price. I'm hoping to go cheaper than all of it.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    1,427
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by mt999999 View Post
    I found the T-mo hotspot for like $10 on eBay, free shipping, lightly used 4G device. I haven't bought it yet, but I do have a bid in. I won't pay more than the $10, but I might win it.

    I probably use similar to what you use; I hardly stream at all. Just basic e-mail, text usenet, and forums for the most part. My DSL was out for 2 weeks last month into March, and I signed up for a dial up account for those 2 weeks. I don't have mobile internet or anything. It was possible, but miserable, and of course tied up my phone line. I could tolerate twice that speed I reckon.

    Verizon signal is fine. I'm open to anything cheap! My DSL is going up to $51/mo in April, and I can't fathom paying more than my current bill of $36 for 3 meg service. Apparently AT&T is no longer doing promo pricing on ADSL. Cable internet is about the same price. I'm hoping to go cheaper than all of it.
    My dsl had at best 1.5mbps then Century link pulled the plug on my area due to no fiber, just old copper phone lines. I had a StraightTalk HotSpot for travel, it's on ST/Vzw. The have decent plans for an MVNO but they're hard capped (not unlimited for at a lower speed/hard cap)
    I then found Verizon prepaid which at the time (maybe they still are) was giving double data on their 8GB plan, so 16GB. And it's not hard capped and suppose to drop to up to 600kbps after that. With 16GB I never go over so don't know what my speed would be after that but I'm sure better then 256kbps, but I have good LTE speed with it (maybe 15-20mbps in a rural fringe area). Better then my ST HS and tons better then my dsl. It costs me $50 a month. I bought a new Mifi 8800 from Vzw which cost around $280 at the time but if you're into Ebay you can pick them up allot cheaper used or refurbed. There's some other cheaper VZW models too or someone can recommended one that will work on VZW prepaid.
    Also check out the ST's plans. Their HS likely comes with a VZW sim, mine did. I think their HS is about $40.

    How about using your cell phone as a HS ? Allot of various plans out there that allow that.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Location
    U.S.A.
    Posts
    50
    Device(s)
    Nokia 3390
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    I pay effectively few dollars per month for a T-mo gold rewards plan. No data, and texting blocked. I'm stubbornly cheap and antiquated.

    They haven't cancelled my DSL yet, but I know they are working toward it.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    1,427
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by mt999999 View Post
    I pay effectively few dollars per month for a T-mo gold rewards plan. No data, and texting blocked. I'm stubbornly cheap and antiquated.

    They haven't cancelled my DSL yet, but I know they are working toward it.
    I'm cheap too. I use PagePlus PayGo for my cell phone. But I need internet so the $50 a month is less then CenturyLink slow dsl and factor in leasing or buying a dsl router and I'm at the same per month with 10 times the speed.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    1,427
    Feedback Score
    0
    Or if your budget is open to a new phone and using it as a hotspot check out this thread....https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...ife-At-Walmart ....you're already paying about $40 a month for your current phone plus dsl.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,022
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by mt999999 View Post
    Do you know where to find the sign up listed? I couldn't find much of any info on their website. Much appreciated!
    https://prepaid.t-mobile.com/prepaid-internet.

    I'm pretty that folks have been saying the unlimited 2g speed is 128.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Location
    U.S.A.
    Posts
    50
    Device(s)
    Nokia 3390
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Mosaic55 View Post
    https://prepaid.t-mobile.com/prepaid-internet.

    I'm pretty that folks have been saying the unlimited 2g speed is 128.
    Thanks! The fine print does mention unlimited 128k after high-speed allotment. If I get the device, I'll test run that $5 for 500MB plan for a month or two side-by-side with my DSL and see how it works out. Once I cancel the AT&T DSL, there is no going back on that. $5 is my kind of cheap, and still cheaper than a 56k dial up plan... Lol. Even if that doesn't work out, I'm certain the $30 10GB or $40 30GB plans will be plenty sufficient, and cheaper than my DSL will be. I like the fact that I would likely be able to swap between plans based on my needs for the month to save a few bucks.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    1,427
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by mt999999 View Post
    Thanks! The fine print does mention unlimited 128k after high-speed allotment. If I get the device, I'll test run that $5 for 500MB plan for a month or two side-by-side with my DSL and see how it works out. Once I cancel the AT&T DSL, there is no going back on that. $5 is my kind of cheap, and still cheaper than a 56k dial up plan... Lol. Even if that doesn't work out, I'm certain the $30 10GB or $40 30GB plans will be plenty sufficient, and cheaper than my DSL will be. I like the fact that I would likely be able to swap between plans based on my needs for the month to save a few bucks.
    Those look like great plans. To bad TM isn't available in my area. Make sure the device you're getting supports all TM's current bands.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    287
    Feedback Score
    0
    I think the T-Mobile Prepaid Mobile Internet plans are your best bet for this, since they're configured knowing that the use is likely to be in a tablet or dedicated hotspot.

    Some (most?) MVNOs offering 2G fallback data specifically state somewhere in the terms or FAQs that unlimited 2G fallback data is not enabled for hotspot use, regardless of the device on the plan-- and Tello states this. And of course some MVNOs prohibit dedicated hotspots on their plans entirely. How well such restrictions is enforced varies from provider to provider.

    It makes sense that an MVNO would not want to allow unlimited slow data for use like yours, since it's much easier to use a very significant amount of 'free' data this way as compared to use in a phone, and the slow data isn't free to the MVNO.

    If you're tempted to go another route, don't prepay for a multi-month plan before confirming it will work as you hope when on fallback data.
    My Tello referral code is P3BSR5HV, and gets both of us 10 Tello Dollars to pay for a plan.
    https://tello.com/account/register?_referral=P3BSR5HV

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Cheapest plan with unlimited "2G" data?
    By Furr in forum General Prepaid discussion
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 01-05-2019, 06:53 PM
  2. Unlimited 2G Data
    By josephf in forum General Prepaid discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-09-2017, 10:04 PM
  3. Cheap Prepaid unlimited plan with small amount of data hotspot use
    By cerdt113387 in forum General Mobile Questions and Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-15-2015, 07:52 AM
  4. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 03-25-2013, 03:11 AM
  5. Replies: 45
    Last Post: 09-22-2004, 07:48 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks