Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: T-Mobile Goes After Businesses And AT&T And Verizon Should Be Concerned

Carrier(s)
    Spectrum Mobile
    Feedback Score
    T Mobile has a lot of work to do before they can attract business customers. They would need to add backup power to all their cell sites so a power outage does not take out their services. They need to add towers to areas that have poor or no wireless signal which should be easier since they can just lease out an existing cell tower to put their equipment on. In addition they would need to add a roaming provider like AT&T or Verizon for roaming so their business customers have service outside their coverage area. T Mobile has improved but they still have a ways to go before they can compete for business lines.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by techguru30 View Post
    T Mobile has a lot of work to do before they can attract business customers. They would need to add backup power to all their cell sites so a power outage does not take out their services. They need to add towers to areas that have poor or no wireless signal which should be easier since they can just lease out an existing cell tower to put their equipment on. In addition they would need to add a roaming provider like AT&T or Verizon for roaming so their business customers have service outside their coverage area. T Mobile has improved but they still have a ways to go before they can compete for business lines.
    I also think it takes more than just good commercials to get corporations to switch carriers. Their is absolutely ZERO doubt that T-Mobile has not drastically improved their service over the last few years. Several reports back up the idea that they have improved.

The problem is that just because T-Mobile got much better that did not make Verizon or AT&T get worse. Verizon also added density and AT&T added coverage with FirstNet. A corporation or government is not going to simply switch providers if they are satisfied with the one they currently have and it meets their needs.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Feedback Score
    There are a wide variety of businesses and they have different needs. Some want all of the things you listed. Others may want a more affordable service. Many businesses have employees that never leave the city, for example. Thus roaming coverage would be irrelevant if T-Mobile covered that city well.

As their network becomes more improved, T-Mobile becomes an option for more and more businesses. It's not an all or nothing proposition.

Carrier(s)
    Sprint/T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jet1000 View Post
    There are a wide variety of businesses and they have different needs. Some want all of the things you listed. Others may want a more affordable service. Many businesses have employees that never leave the city, for example. Thus roaming coverage would be irrelevant if T-Mobile covered that city well.

As their network becomes more improved, T-Mobile becomes an option for more and more businesses. It's not an all or nothing proposition.
    T-Mobile claims that verizon and at&t own over 90% of corporate and government accounts. Their coverage gaps play a part in this. As does their issues with redundancies, or lack of. For consumer accounts all 3 carriers are much closer than most people think, they are within a few million of each other in consumer postpaid accounts, and for consumer accounts the coverage gaps are fine, cover where people live and cover it well and you will do fine, but, for government and corporate accounts they will need to fill those gaps to make any dent in verizon and at&t's dominant lead. Their history of data breaches also does not help them in this regard either. Now, for small businesses they may be fine, and I suspect that is the majority of the 8ish% of the corporate accounts they do have, for larger ones though (which I would assume they really want) they have work to do.

Feedback Score
    Not only lacks in infrastructure, but even devices for some markets. Sprint sold a lot of Sonim ruggedized business flip phones, that T-Mobile doesn't seem to want to deal with on their network. They have a carrier lock that apparently has to be removed by the manufacturer, not just a simple SIM change like on smartphones. These are not cheap phones, and T-Mobile does not have anything like it. You can buy these phones from Verizon and AT&T, and I assume they are all locked to the carrier. Without the carrier allowing an unlock they can't be used anywhere else, and T-Mobile has not done so.

As far as T-Mobile signal coverage, it can be pretty bad in some areas. On one of the busy highways in my area between cities, there is a 25 mile void because of a lack of towers. Even where there are towers, the reach is very short because of hills and trees. Only a mile or so from the T-Mobile store in town the signal mostly craps out. Might be better now that they energized B71 (if you phone has it).

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max Series 4 Apple Watch
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile US
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

T-Mobile Goes After Businesses And AT&T And Verizon Should Be Concerned

Quote Originally Posted by jet1000 View Post

I agree.

In my field I notice that as the older generation IT Director’s retire and are replaced by their younger brethren so goes a lot of the opinions of T-Mobile that are better suited for the year 2012.

Sometimes perception isn’t always based on reality. Business needs aren’t always static even if outdated opinions are.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Device(s)
    1+ 8T 5G, Galaxy S20 5G, Moto G7 Power
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    ...... They would need to add backup power to all their cell sites........
    Not really, they just need to have enough backup power to assure continuity of service. Remember, in a 5G world, a "cell site' can be a paint-can-sided thing hanging on a light-pole. However, the point is taken that their current reliance on limited battery backup isn't adequate.
    Donald Newcomb

Device(s)
    One Plus 8 (T-Mobile), Samsung S10e (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I'm more rural areas, with large macro sites where overlap is not huge one site outage could but out a large area. I suspect that some smaller businesses, at least in some areas where Tmobile has good service may bite. On a national scale, some big corps offer it (mine too offered Sprint in the past, Tmobile currently), however, I don't have a single coworker that has picked it, due to Tmobile's "reputation" for lack of rural support. I.e. if a person can't trust Tmobile to resolve issues when they use it for a personal line, they won't expect it on a business line either. What is sad... Sprint had probably the best corporate business when they purchased Nextel. Nextel was very eager to set up sites for businesses, and they worked with many very well.

Sent from my IN2017 using HoFo mobile app
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2