Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Unlocked Phone Recommendations?

Device(s)
    LG phones, Motorola, ZTE, occasional Alcatel
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score

Unlocked Phone Recommendations?

I am good with underlying VZ and AT&T service in my area, but Tmo/Sprint is sketchy here.

I've been looking at unlocked phones at Best Buy and not sure which is best. I would probably use it on H20 or Red Pocket, GSM/AT&T underlying service, but would be best to buy a phone that could do VZ too.

My price point is at most going to be about $120 and hopefully less.

I don't want a huge phone. 5.7" or smaller is preferred. I'd rather have at least 32gb memory but wouldn't die if it only had 16gb. It doesn't need to be fancy, and I rarely use the camera.

My favorite brands are Motorola and LG. Other brands would be considered but no Apple phones. I've never had an Apple.

BLU seems the cheapest but I think they're only GSM.

I used to like the old Nokia phones, but haven't had a Nokia smartphone. I saw a few of those on Best Buy.

Thank you if anyone can come up with an idea.

Sent from my LGL423DL using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Motorola would be one of the best brands for you to choose, but if you want to buy at BestBuy, what you can get depends on what BestBuy is willing to sell you.

Device(s)
    A71 5G, Pixel 3aXL/4a5G, Moto E6/G7 Power/Z3 Play/G6 Play
    Carrier(s)
    H2O, TMO, Xfinity, PagePlus, TracFone
    Feedback Score
    It is pretty hard to find a more current phone with a smaller display (and an unlocked/unbranded one that AT&T allows VoLTE on). Some phones may still have smaller physical dimensions, but the display is larger because it fills up more space closer to the edges, all around. If you can put up with a 6.2 inch display, the Moto E would be a good choice :

https://www.motorola.com/us/smartphones-moto-e/p

Feedback Score
    Just saw today that Motorola was having a sale for the next two weeks. https://www.motorola.com/us/specials

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mframe View Post
    It is pretty hard to find a more current phone with a smaller display (and an unlocked/unbranded one that AT&T allows VoLTE on). Some phones may still have smaller physical dimensions, but the display is larger because it fills up more space closer to the edges, all around. If you can put up with a 6.2 inch display, the Moto E would be a good choice :

Quote Originally Posted by sfmccorm View Post
    Just saw today that Motorola was having a sale for the next two weeks. https://www.motorola.com/us/specials
    In case Moto E6 is still available, device or ?screen size is 5.45 inches diagonally; but storage is limited. Price probably would be between $120 and $150.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mframe View Post

Thanks for the mention. I have seen that one. It's a good price (and a pop-up offered 5%off) but unfortunately 6.2 inches would probably be too much for me. I have an LG Stylo 3 I had active for a few weeks and it was sort of awkward. I like the old 5.7" Moto e5 form because it's narrow. I have a smaller Moto e6 and not real crazy about it. Not sure what to look at next. Most of the newer phones are over 6". I guess I will just keep looking, Best Buy has older ones that are smaller but just hoped someone might know of something I haven't yet seen.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by joseg2016 View Post
    In case Moto E6 is still available, device or ?screen size is 5.45 inches diagonally; but storage is limited. Price probably would be between $120 and $150.
    Hi again. Yes, I have a Straight Talk Moto e6 I got at Walmart for a Tracfone backup because it was on sale. It's a good size but I'm not sure if I'd pay over $100 for an unlocked one.

A Moto G7 series was what I sort of had in mind, I think one of the older ones is 5.7" but only found an AT&T locked one at Walmart. But it was a good price at about $80. If I cant find an unlocked one in my price range I may just buy the locked one and keep looking for a right phone on sale. I'll probably be using an AT&T MVNO anyway.

Feedback Score
    I guess people are obsessed with videos and have asked for phablets. When I go to the store, I see people carrying their phones around like luggage. It's absurd.

Feedback Score
    I believe a Consumer Cellular phone can be unlocked for a few bucks on ebay. Might be an option.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisme View Post
    I guess people are obsessed with videos and have asked for phablets. When I go to the store, I see people carrying their phones around like luggage. It's absurd.
    I've seen someone using a huge phone at the store and thought it was weird. It was a man and he was fairly big, but for most people something 6.5" or bigger would be nuts. Yet people are demanding them or they wouldn't be moving the market that way. I just thought they'd save some room at the bottom for us kiddos with small hands.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisme View Post
    I believe a Consumer Cellular phone can be unlocked for a few bucks on ebay. Might be an option.
    I know someone who has CC and they like the service. I think their cheapest smartphone is a $50 ZTE, or was the last time I looked. They did have a Samsung at the website, but I'm going to try to stick with Moto, LG, although I do like my TF Samsung Luna Pro. The menu differences of Samsung confuse my wee little doo brain.

Device(s)
    LG Ultimate 2 L41C, HTC Evo 4G, Photon Mifi
    Carrier(s)
    Pageplus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    This Motorola G7 plus is gsm(no Verizon but. AT&T AND T-mobile should be okay) only but has band 71.

It's available for $119

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08GL2HKLT...1FX7PYCFB1KXAT

Sent from my S3_Pro Umidigi using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    I think someone on here has that phone, but I forget what they said about it. Not really for the U.S. market, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by ShredFred View Post
    This Motorola G7 plus is gsm(no Verizon but. AT&T AND T-mobile should be okay) only but has band 71.

It's available for $119

Device(s)
    LG Ultimate 2 L41C, HTC Evo 4G, Photon Mifi
    Carrier(s)
    Pageplus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    The dual sim version is an international version and is missing some us specific bands like 12,17 and 71. But it will still work on 2,4 and 5 just like phones from 2014 and earlier.

I think this is single sim version and has us gsm bands and warranty

It's just only good with gsm carriers(unlike the regular unlocked Motorolas). Good thing Amazon has a 30 return period.

Last edited by ShredFred; 03-17-2021 at 06:59 PM.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ShredFred View Post

It's available for $119

If it's GSM only then buying it unlocked wouldn't make much sense. I could just pay the $80 at Walmart for the AT&T locked version and use it on H20 or Red Pocket.

That's something I need to be careful of, is what bands unlocked phones can/can't do.

I have an AT&T LG Neon Plus 2 I paid $70-80 for last year and it seems pretty nice. A good size and nice screen/keypad response. It's 32gb.

Since it's AT&T locked, even if I could get it unlocked it probably would only be useful on GSM/AT&T underlying service.

I probably won't have to switch to a VZ based service anyway, so I have no need to rush buying anything else. I'll keep the G7 in mind just because I like it.

I might buy the locked one and get it unlocked. I think AT&T unlocked my Phoenix 2 after 6 months service when I was on their 25˘/minute Paygo plan. 6 months on that plan cost $50, since I topped up with $25/90 day cards. 25˘ was a lot per minute but I could pay $5/month for 200 texts out of the balance and use Google Voice on WiFi for calls longer than a couple of minutes.

Basically though I wouldn't have to unlock any AT&T phone to use it on H20. Not sure if that's true for Red Pocket.

Sent from my LM-X320 using HoFo mobile app

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast