Thread: converting to T-Mobile - lots of questions

Feedback Score

converting to T-Mobile - lots of questions

We used to be on TMobile, say 3 years ago. Service was BAD inside of our home. We had to get one of those mini cell spots that we plugged into our router. If we were talking to someone driving home, the call inevitably dropped as we came to our garage. Hated it. Went to Verizon for a very short stint, then switched to Sprint.

Sprint has been very good in our neighborhood and inside our house! No problems, never a dropped call.

Hence my hesitation on making any changes. How do I know I won't get pushed to the TMobile tower and regret it? How do I know if the Sprint tower by our house is being kept, or has been integrated, into the "new TMobile"?

As far as plans, our main line is Unlimited Kickstart v3 and the second line is free, called Unlimited On Us. So we're getting two unlimited lines for $44 after fees/taxes included.
    How is TMobile handling the plan changes from a price perspective?

I feel based on all the "line on us" promos TMobile has been running, many posts of people having 3, 4, 5, 9 plans and paying around $11-16 a line, I'd want my bill to DROP a little.

Thanks for your thoughts and recommendations!
    Brian

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bxd20 View Post
    We used to be on TMobile, say 3 years ago. Service was BAD inside of our home. We had to get one of those mini cell spots that we plugged into our router. If we were talking to someone driving home, the call inevitably dropped as we came to our garage. Hated it. Went to Verizon for a very short stint, then switched to Sprint.

Sprint has been very good in our neighborhood and inside our house! No problems, never a dropped call.

Hence my hesitation on making any changes. How do I know I won't get pushed to the TMobile tower and regret it? How do I know if the Sprint tower by our house is being kept, or has been integrated, into the "new TMobile"?

As far as plans, our main line is Unlimited Kickstart v3 and the second line is free, called Unlimited On Us. So we're getting two unlimited lines for $44 after fees/taxes included.

I feel based on all the "line on us" promos TMobile has been running, many posts of people having 3, 4, 5, 9 plans and paying around $11-16 a line, I'd want my bill to DROP a little.

Brian
    Do you by any chance have a Samsung phone? If so go to the engineering screen and use *#0011# on the dialer. In the PLMN is 310250 the it is a sprint keep tower.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by terrell352 View Post
    Do you by any chance have a Samsung phone? If so go to the engineering screen and use *#0011# on the dialer. In the PLMN is 310250 the it is a sprint keep tower.

Sorry, all iPhones in the family.

Feedback Score
    Sorry, all iPhones in the family.
    If you have a iPhone it’s very hard to tell

Device(s)
    OnePlus 8T, Apple iPad Air 4th Gen (WiFi), Apple iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, Verizon Prepaid, FreedomPop (AT&T)
    Feedback Score

Speaking that OP has iPhones, it’s possible that OP is already primarily on T-Mobile towers. ROAMAHOME, which is the SOC that prioritizes T-Mobile network over Sprint's legacy network, was setup on many iPhone (8 and later) lines initially, later was expanded onto other devices, and is being replaced with MULTOCN (ver. 2 of RaH) for LTE devices (ROAMAHOME is still on all 5G devices currently, as MULTOCN has issues handling 5G access).

One could switch over to TNX temporarily (you can switch back and forth from TNX SIM and Sprint UICC still, but they will probably discontinue reverting to Sprint UICCs Soon) and test the service to see if there’s been changes strictly on the T-Mobile side. Band 71 has improved coverage in areas, well before the Sprint merger was final; if your iPhones can handle that (XR/XS and above have band 71) then you might see improvements.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    My common forum nick: GenesisDH.

R.I.P. Circuit City

We are the Bor... the new AT&T: Your World, Assimilated.

1000th post: Sept. 29th, 2008, 17:42 CDT

Carrier(s)
    Spectrum Mobile
    Feedback Score

Brian
    You could try using cell mapper to see what the T Mobile signal looks like around the street outside of your home to see if it has improved. Here is the link. https://www.cellmapper.net/map

Device(s)
    iPhone X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT and T
    Feedback Score

Based on my experience with iPhone 8 and iPhone X, neither of which have Band 71, I recommend that you hang tight with Sprint for a few more months. Give T-Mo more time over the summer to build out.

I finally switched over to T-Mo TNX SIMs in February but I am seriously considering switching back to Sprint SIMs in ~ May if improvements are not experienced.

Multiple dropped calls and very slow download and upload on 4G LTE. Sprint was marginal but T-Mo is worse as of now despite multiple support tickets for the rural/fringe area.

I may buy a cheaper 5G Android phone as a second phone - adding a 6th line if eligible to see what improvements might be there that I am missing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by gdrenick74; 03-30-2021 at 07:52 PM.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S8
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score

Brian

Be careful. I made the switch to T-Mobile in February after 23+ years on Sprint. Unfortunately it didn't work out as good as I had hoped. My new phone (Samsung GS21+) cannot use Sprint's network at all. It can only use T-Mobile's. The bad part is T-Mobile's 5G isn't really that great around here. Sprint's LTE was better. I had incorrectly assumed I would be able to roam on Sprint's LTE if I needed to. That was not the case. In the phone's menu there's an option to force the phone over to other networks. Sprint, AT&T, etc but the phone is unable to connect to any of them at all. I was told by someone that my billing would have to be switched over to T-Mobile as well to get these features to work. I guess I'm on a T-Mobile phone but a Sprint plan and the two can't gel together for some reason which is stupid. This is 2021. How hard can it be to work out these glitches?
    Sprint user since 1997

Device(s)
    iPhone 12 ProMax, OnePlus 8 5G
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by larryt510 View Post
    Be careful. I made the switch to T-Mobile in February after 23+ years on Sprint. Unfortunately it didn't work out as good as I had hoped. My new phone (Samsung GS21+) cannot use Sprint's network at all. It can only use T-Mobile's. The bad part is T-Mobile's 5G isn't really that great around here. Sprint's LTE was better. I had incorrectly assumed I would be able to roam on Sprint's LTE if I needed to. That was not the case. In the phone's menu there's an option to force the phone over to other networks. Sprint, AT&T, etc but the phone is unable to connect to any of them at all. I was told by someone that my billing would have to be switched over to T-Mobile as well to get these features to work. I guess I'm on a T-Mobile phone but a Sprint plan and the two can't gel together for some reason which is stupid. This is 2021. How hard can it be to work out these glitches?
    It's more a Sprint issue, as Sprint's billing system/backend was from Nextel, and why the IMEI/SIM's were married in the first place - they could not properly manage it due to just doing patches to make things work.

I worked there until about 5yrs ago, and was one of the few people who still had legacy access to the Ensemble billing system, and let me tell you - it's an absolute mess.

Until T-Mobile can get the Sprint billing system/plans merged into the T-Mobile billing system.. remaining on a Sprint plan is just going to be wonk, and there's just no way around it until the backend merge is complete.. and when ~55mil lines are involved.. that's not an overnight task.
    T-Mobile: Magenta Amplified (airline employee plan)
    AT$T: $50 Unlimited Elite Prepaid promo (for more “rural” areas)

Device(s)
    iPhone X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT and T
    Feedback Score
    It sure seems to be a mess on the Sprint website side too. There is no way to cross-shop devices and a legacy Sprint customer gets redirected from T-Mo to Sprint just as soon as the phone number is entered. Then it is like being thrown back to [2000 or pick a year].

Not knowing or understanding all of the points of integration, the legacy Sprint customers seem to be on for a longer and bumpier ride at least through 2021 and probably 2022.

It is getting more and more inviting to either switch to T-Mo (for better or worse) or to a competitor. These empty promotions that have no real connection to legacy Sprint is all marketing fluff. Please help me realize that they are real and tangible if they really are and how to make them so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    I mean at this point, unless you're married to some super cheap plan..

1) see if you can get Amplified through your company, It gives you Max at the same price as the base plan

https://now.t-mobile.com/business-em...discounts.html

2) go into a store after the 18th and see if you can get the trade-in deals for swapping over

I'm not sure about swapping from Sprint -> T-Mobile as I was one of those people with an account on both carriers anyway, and my T-Mobile account was way older (I'd had it since I was 18), so I just closed my Sprint line and moved it over once ROAMAHOME was put on my Note 9, as for me there was no network difference anyway.

in all honesty though, on the T-Mobile side things are immensely easier.. just due to how T-Mobile's CS is and things like SIM swapping being a thing, as well as being able to access parts of the Sprint network when I "need" it (hint: flying all over the country, i've never needed it)

I've been on amplified for years, and I still get the $10 discount per line on all 9 lines on the account, It seems they changed it to ~2 lines... but with 40GB MHS per line, faster international data when roaming, and uncapped streaming still make it worth it IMO.

Device(s)
    iPhone X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT and T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brad15 View Post
    I mean at this point, unless you're married to some super cheap plan..

1) see if you can get Amplified through your company, It gives you Max at the same price as the base plan

https://now.t-mobile.com/business-em...discounts.html

2) go into a store after the 18th and see if you can get the trade-in deals for swapping over

I'm not sure about swapping from Sprint -> T-Mobile as I was one of those people with an account on both carriers anyway, and my T-Mobile account was way older (I'd had it since I was 18), so I just closed my Sprint line and moved it over once ROAMAHOME was put on my Note 9, as for me there was no network difference anyway.

in all honesty though, on the T-Mobile side things are immensely easier.. just due to how T-Mobile's CS is and things like SIM swapping being a thing, as well as being able to access parts of the Sprint network when I "need" it (hint: flying all over the country, i've never needed it)

I've been on amplified for years, and I still get the $10 discount per line on all 9 lines on the account, It seems they changed it to ~2 lines... but with 40GB MHS per line, faster international data when roaming, and uncapped streaming still make it worth it IMO.
    Thanks for the suggestion. I agree that it "seems" immensely easier to be a T-Mo customer. I considered it up until I tested a T-Mo hotspot and found that could not find any usable data signal in my fringe/rural neighborhood.

With respect to Amplified, I think, I believe that my premium unlimited everything Sprint plan mapped over to Magenta Max. The Magenta Max branding rolled week or two after the Sprint customers were eligible for TNX SIM. Is Magenta Max the same as Amplified?

My company and my phone line are already qualified under Sprint. When I attempted to check with T-Mo and Amplified, the email reply says "Our records indicate you're already a customer. .... If you're interested in this program, please contact us to discuss eligibility. Current Sprint Customers: Visit a T-Mobile store or call 888-211-4727; Current T-Mobile Customers: Email [email protected] or call 977-334-7099."

The web-experiences, chats and phone conversations with T-Mo / Sprint CSRs continue to be circular where T-Mo directs me to Sprint; and then Sprint says wthey don't have access to T-Mobile plans and phones. Ugh. I will just have to wait until April 18th and see if anything changes. I am both hopeful and skeptical. Definitely, a test of patience.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    My account has a "Magenta MaxUP" for $0.. So I pay the same as the base Magenta plan, but get the Max features for $0