Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Google Hangouts will no longer be able to make calls (March 2021). Replacement?

Device(s)
    Motorolla Q9c, Droid 1 (2009), Alcatel Elevate (2016)
    Feedback Score

Google Hangouts will no longer be able to make calls (March 2021). Replacement?

https://9to5google.com/2021/02/25/google-hangouts-call-phones-refund/amp/

What are you replacing Hangouts with?

Feedback Score
    replacement is using the google voice app itself for similar functionality

Carrier(s)
    Truphone, FreeUp, FreedomPop US & MX, Toggle UK, Piranha, Netzclub DE, Simyo ES, Three UK
    Feedback Score
    Google Voice? I've been a long-time GV user and never got into using Hangouts on my phone.

Feedback Score
    one bit of functionality that the google voice app will not replace and may also be the reason for the shutdown is that with GV you cannot verify any number to use for the outgoing caller ID. hangouts calling was able to be used for example to make outgoing calls over WIFI or a data plan with a verified call phone number displayed as caller ID. with GV app the outgoing caller ID is always your google voice phone number.

for example i have had hangouts dialer on a handset that i have a truphone SIM installed and can call out over WIFI with my truphone number displayed as caller ID on the other end. i can also do the same for free with rebtel by 'purchasing' a $0.00 US calling plan. which i will use going forward on that phone.

Feedback Score
    Something not too clear.
    If user of Google Voice uses Google Voice to MAKE A CALL to someone, which number will that someone see on his caller-id? Would it be the Google Voice Number, or will it be the caller-user's number connected to the Google Voice account (such as the user's cell phone)?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by joseg2016 View Post
    Something not too clear.
    If user of Google Voice uses Google Voice to MAKE A CALL to someone, which number will that someone see on his caller-id? Would it be the Google Voice Number, or will it be the caller-user's number connected to the Google Voice account (such as the user's cell phone)?
    the google voice number, this was entire reason for the functionality to place calls in the first place at least when it was originally launched as a part of the product.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by robbyrobby View Post
    the google voice number, this was entire reason for the functionality to place calls in the first place at least when it was originally launched as a part of the product.
    Thanks, I think I understand better and that would make sense. The person receiving the call dialed from the Google Voice user would find on caller-id, the Google Voice number.

Device(s)
    Nexus 5, Nexus 6P, Boost Mobile ZTE Speed, Moto G5 Plus, Moto X4, Moto G Stylus(2020)
    Carrier(s)
    SafeLink(T-Mobile), FreedomPop(AT&T), Google Fi(T-Mobile)
    Feedback Score

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by robbyrobby View Post
    one bit of functionality that the google voice app will not replace and may also be the reason for the shutdown is that with GV you cannot verify any number to use for the outgoing caller ID. hangouts calling was able to be used for example to make outgoing calls over WIFI or a data plan with a verified call phone number displayed as caller ID. with GV app the outgoing caller ID is always your google voice phone number.

for example i have had hangouts dialer on a handset that i have a truphone SIM installed and can call out over WIFI with my truphone number displayed as caller ID on the other end. i can also do the same for free with rebtel by 'purchasing' a $0.00 US calling plan. which i will use going forward on that phone.
    I doubt starting July 1st Rebtel will continue to let you set a verified telephone number as outgoing caller ID since it will be outlawed, and that is the very reason why the telephone calling feature of Hangouts has to be disable by then.

Device(s)
    LG G4, Galaxy S6, Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, TracFone, TextNow
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hoktrillian View Post
    I doubt starting July 1st Rebtel will continue to let you set a verified telephone number as outgoing caller ID since it will be outlawed, and that is the very reason why the telephone calling feature of Hangouts has to be disable by then.
    What's this new law? Do you know the name of it or have a link to its text? Web search isn't finding anything for me.
    Find and compare prepaid plans at https://prepaidcompare.net

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeswap View Post
    What's this new law? Do you know the name of it or have a link to its text? Web search isn't finding anything for me.
    STIR/SHAKEN

https://www.fcc.gov/call-authentication

Device(s)
    LG G4, Galaxy S6, Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, TracFone, TextNow
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    Thanks,

As I understand it, STIR (SHAKEN applies to non-VoIP providers) requires VoIP service providers to verify that the phone number or name sent in the caller ID belongs to the entity placing the call. If Rebel does that, which they can easily do by requiring the customer to accept a call back on the number when setting it up, they should be able to meet the legal requirements of STIR. They also have to meet the technical requirement of attaching an encrypted certificate to the SIP header verifying that they attest that the caller ID is valid, but they have to do that for all numbers including the numbers they assign to customers.

If Rebel wants to stay in business they will have to implement STIR. With Hangouts slated to be shut down, it makes sense for Google not to implement it for Hangouts.
    Last edited by Yeswap; 03-21-2021 at 09:15 PM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by joseg2016 View Post
    Something not too clear.

______
    (Sorry for the awkward quote...
    This isn't fully descriptive of the options when using Google Voice. It depends on how one is using GV, and what options are selected. I use Google Voice as my main contact number, forwarding to whichever cellphone number I'm using at the time. Configured that way, the dialer built into Google Voice will always display the GV number, but a call dialed from the native phone dialer can display either the Google Voice phone number, or the native carrier phone number, at the discretion of the GV user. My phones are set up to display the GV number as default (from the native dialer), but I could set it to display the native provider cell #.
    My Tello referral code is P3BSR5HV, and gets both of us 10 Tello Dollars to pay for a plan.
    https://tello.com/account/register?_referral=P3BSR5HV

Feedback Score
    ...Configured that way, the dialer built into Google Voice will always display the GV number, but a call dialed from the native phone dialer can display either the Google Voice phone number, or the native carrier phone number, at the discretion of the GV user...
    In the GV app there are four options for sending the GV number as the Caller ID when calling from the phone app.

1. Yes (all calls)
    2. Yes (international calls only)
    3. Select number before each call
    4. No

#1 is useful if you don't want anyone to see your real cell number.

#3 & #4 are useful if you want different people to see your different numbers, like for keeping business and personal separate.

#1 & #3 require mobile or Wifi data to send your GV number. It may be that you only need data for the first time you call a number.

Watch out for #3 if you Bluetooth pair your phone with your car for hands free calling. My car doesn't know how to handle selecting which number to use for outgoing calls.

GV is a sophisticated system with many options that can be hard to keep track of what all your settings are and what they do. I messed up recently and left a linked/forwarding phone in GV that I had terminated service. When my GV number was called someone else answered who has the number now - oops.

Device(s)
    Motorolla Q9c, Droid 1 (2009), Alcatel Elevate (2016)
    Feedback Score
    kinda lost here about the difference between hangouts and google voice app.

i xferred my home phone # to google voice a long time ago and have been using hangouts to make and receive calls.
    caller id says it's my home phone #.

i do not use/dont care about my phone carriers phone #.

if i use the google voice app, what phone # will be shown on caller id for my case?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fstuff View Post
    kinda lost here about the difference between hangouts and google voice app.

i xferred my home phone # to google voice a long time ago and have been using hangouts to make and receive calls.
    caller id says it's my home phone #.

i do not use/dont care about my phone carriers phone #.

if i use the google voice app, what phone # will be shown on caller id for my case?
    It will show your GV number which is same as your old home phone number just like the hangouts.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast