Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Google Hangouts will no longer be able to make calls (March 2021). Replacement?

Feedback Score
    What would happen if i answer yes to ... is xxx xxx xxxx this iphones number which i no longer have? That probably would be bad idea even if it worked since it would then use someone else who has that number now? I cancelled that VOIP number many years ago. I only used it for verification to set up google voice number years ago.

Feedback Score
    Just change the setting in the GV app to "Prefer Wi-Fi and mobile data".

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    Just change the setting in the GV app to "Prefer Wi-Fi and mobile data".

What do you mean by this?

What about the linking of phone number thing?

Because right now... I can't make phone calls... only text...

Feedback Score
    Since I can't see your phone, please just change that setting in the GV app, and report back if it then works for calls.

In your situation you CAN'T use a forwarding #, and you certainly never used a forwarding # with Hangouts, because that wasn't an option with Hangouts.

Device(s)
    Nexus 5, Nexus 6P, Boost Mobile ZTE Speed, Moto G5 Plus, Moto X4, Moto G Stylus(2020)
    Carrier(s)
    SafeLink(T-Mobile), FreedomPop(AT&T), Google Fi(T-Mobile)
    Feedback Score
    1. Hangouts completely lost its ability of connect to PSTN (Plain Old Telephone Number) starting April 1, 2021, whether it be texting or calling.

2. Google Voice can be used worldwide as long as there is decent Internet connection without firewall like one in China, whether it be fixed or mobile. The only difference is outside of United States calling to Canada and United States should not be free. However, Google has been letting people went outside of United States temporarily continue to be able to call and text to Canada and United States telephone numbers for free.

3. Your best bet will be have a United States telephone number ready for verification as your current telephone number when you install Google Voice outside of United States, hopefully Google will consider you just travel outside of United States temporarily. If not, you can still use Google Voice for sure, just not free of charge to call Canadian and United States telephone numbers. Once you have your device returned to United States, it will be free of charge again to call telephone numbers in Canada and United States.

4. TextNow will be free to call (not text) to many international destinations such as Australia, Brazil, Chile, Christmas Island, Colombia, Denmark, Faroe Islands, France, Germany, Guiana, Iceland, Israel, Italy, Malaysia, Mexico, Norway, Poland, Reunion, Romania, Singapore, Slovakia, South Korea, Spain, Sweden despite some are limited to land lines only regardless where you install it. You can get either a Canadian or United States telephone number for free. However, it is advertisement supported so it consumes a lot more data. Moreover, some of mobile carriers and MVNOs filter out SMSs from TextNow due to the history of the source of spam. User would not know the problem right away. By the time user calls intended SMS recipients, it may be too late. Furthermore, TextNow closes account for no usage as little as one month and for sending same SMS to as little as a dozen recipients as they consider it as spam without warning. Once account is closed, no recourse whatsoever.

Feedback Score
    Regarding Google Voice, some of what you posted is different from what most people understand about GV.

2. Google Voice can be used worldwide as long as there is decent Internet connection without firewall like one in China, whether it be fixed or mobile. The only difference is outside of United States calling to Canada and United States should not be free. However, Google has been letting people went outside of United States temporarily continue to be able to call and text to Canada and United States telephone numbers for free.
    Where did you get this information? I always understood that the GV app (VoIP) should work the same as Hangouts always has when outside the US. Also, has Google stated something about the calls to Canadian & US #s initiated from outside the Canada & US are not supposed to be free, but are being temporarily allowed for free?

3. Your best bet will be have a United States telephone number ready for verification as your current telephone number when you install Google Voice outside of United States, hopefully Google will consider you just travel outside of United States temporarily. If not, you can still use Google Voice for sure, just not free of charge to call Canadian and United States telephone numbers. Once you have your device returned to United States, it will be free of charge again to call telephone numbers in Canada and United States.
    So you're saying that if you're somehow able to install the GV app when you're physically outside the US, such as side load it on an Android device, the GV app will require a forwarding #, even if you already have a GV # and select "Prefer Wi-Fi and mobile data", and that GV will charge for calls to Canadian & US phone #s, despite your "Google has been letting people went outside of United States temporarily continue to be able to call and text to Canada and United States telephone numbers for free" statement? Have you personally experienced this, or if not, where did you get that info?

Thanks!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pauly02 View Post
    What do you mean by this?

What about the linking of phone number thing?

Because right now... I can't make phone calls... only text...
    Since I can't see your phone, please just change that setting in the GV app, and report back if it then works for calls.

In your situation you CAN'T use a forwarding #, and you certainly never used a forwarding # with Hangouts, because that wasn't an option with Hangouts.
    pauly02, did you try with "Prefer Wi-Fi and mobile data" set in the GV app? What was the result?

Please let us know.

Thanks!

Device(s)
    Nexus 5, Nexus 6P, Boost Mobile ZTE Speed, Moto G5 Plus, Moto X4, Moto G Stylus(2020)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score

Lightbulb

Regarding Google Voice, some of what you posted is different from what most people understand about GV.

Where did you get this information? I always understood that the GV app (VoIP) should work the same as Hangouts always has when outside the US. Also, has Google stated something about the calls to Canadian & US #s initiated from outside the Canada & US are not supposed to be free, but are being temporarily allowed for free?

So you're saying that if you're somehow able to install the GV app when you're physically outside the US, such as side load it on an Android device, the GV app will require a forwarding #, even if you already have a GV # and select "Prefer Wi-Fi and mobile data", and that GV will charge for calls to Canadian & US phone #s, despite your "Google has been letting people went outside of United States temporarily continue to be able to call and text to Canada and United States telephone numbers for free" statement? Have you personally experienced this, or if not, where did you get that info?
    What most people understand about Google Voice is the Google official description -- only calls from United States to Canada and within United States are free of charge. You may have to have foreign IP address in order to see this or toll rate sheet. What pauly02 and I discussed are using Google Voice outside of United States with long term absence from United States and/or install/reinstall/getting Voice and/or Hangouts application and/or telephone number. It has nothing to do with "Prefer Wi-Fi and mobile data" nor forwarding telephone number. Both Voice and Hangouts can be installed and used worldwide except firewalled places, the only difference is whether there will be a charge to call Canadian and United States telephone numbers or not. Google has been using IP address to determine whether the call is from United States or not. However, some still are unable to by pass this check with VPN especially install and reinstall the application outside of United States. Since all these are unofficial, only people have actually experienced these like pauly02 and I can tell the story.

Feedback Score
    What's different about how it was handled by a phone when using Hangouts, where pauly02 and I and others used it internationally with no trouble, vs the GV app?

Also, I've helped several people from Canada on more than one forum get the GV app working for calls after transitioning from Hangouts, and the solution was to set "Prefer Wi-Fi and mobile data".

Since I haven't been able to travel internationally since then end of Hangouts due to Covid, I can't do my own testing...

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by fstuff View Post
    is there a way to get ringtone when someone calls my google voice # but leave ringtone off when someone calls my phone provider's (ie: Mint) assigned #?

another problem with gv app:
    how do i get touchtone when im dialing #'s on the phone pad?

How do you do multiple person chat in Google voice?
    I have just answered all of above questions in Google Voice forum at https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...ents-DTMF-tone

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score

Question

What's different about how it was handled by a phone when using Hangouts, where pauly02 and I and others used it internationally with no trouble, vs the GV app?

Also, I've helped several people from Canada on more than one forum get the GV app working for calls after transitioning from Hangouts, and the solution was to set "Prefer Wi-Fi and mobile data".
    There should be no difference between Hangouts and Google Voice app. as to how it was handled by a phone. Again, the difference is as pauly02 described, when Hangouts app. installed outside of United States, it would not work, actually, it does work, just there will be a charge for all outgoing calls. When you helped several people from Canada on more than one forum get the GV app working for calls after transitioning from Hangouts, and the solution was to set "Prefer Wi-Fi and mobile data", did they install Google Voice app. when they were outside of United States? Is there a charge for calling Canadian and United States telephone numbers?

Feedback Score
    The GV app was installed while in Canada. There was no charge to call US and Canadian #s. But remember, this is all 2nd hand info.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score

Thumbs up

The GV app was installed while in Canada. There was no charge to call US and Canadian #s. But remember, this is all 2nd hand info.
    Both you and me are looking forward to pauly02's reply to confirm the same. If you encounter new case that is similar situated, please provide me with an URL so I can have updated information as well.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hoktrillian View Post
    Both you and me are looking forward to pauly02's reply to confirm the same. If you encounter new case that is similar situated, please provide me with an URL so I can have updated information as well.
    One of them was here: https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...link-my-number

There were others on Reddit, but they aren't easy to find.

Feedback Score
    pauly02, did you try with "Prefer Wi-Fi and mobile data" set in the GV app? What was the result?

Please let us know.

Thanks!

Im confused what this has to do with anything? I also asked someone to call my google voice number and it didn't ring... but I did get like text message saying someone tried to call me. They said when they tried tor call me, it went to voice mail etc.

What I want to know is... could I use someone else's US phone number as verification or not? Again years ago, I used a VOIP phone number I had as verification and it worked to set up my account. So I been using google voice on my iphone ever since outside the US and inside the US as long as I have either wifi... or my cell plan which is an abroad plan which could be used both abroad and the US.

What would happen if i click on accept that old number i used? I assume do not do that right since they probably want verification for it... which I don't have? Thus i could use someone's US phone number as verification for this... then my google voice would work?

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast