Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: America’s drowsy telecom giants face a 5G wake-up call. T-Mobile is leaving them standing

Device(s)
    One Plus 8 (T-Mobile), Samsung S10e (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I have no clue. According to OnePlus, their devices come with 5G SA disabled by default (5G NSA is enabled) and a carrier update is required to enable it.

Sent from my IN2017 using HoFo mobile app
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jameny5 View Post
    They may come close to Verizon...
    Close to Verizon?? CLOSE to Verizon??? That's laughable... T-Mobile's far SURPASSED Verizon.

T-Mobile's 5G is the largest and fastest Nationwide, and their 4G handily beats Verizon's congested mess of a network.

This is why Verizon has been caught off guard, sleeping, while charging their customers buttloads of $$ for a weak network.

I pay $42.50 + tax for seven lines of unlimited high-speed data on T-Mobile with free HD streaming. Unlike Verizon, no dropped calls or slow (to non-existent) data.

Verizon did this to themselves... perhaps someday, they can attempt to get closer to T-Mobile... but it won't be within OUR lifetimes!

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone X, OnePlus Nord N10 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT and T
    Feedback Score
    Op-Ed

My general rule is: Cellular is LOCAL between
    - wherever I am, and
    - wherever I am connecting.

It does not matter if a network claims to be the fastest, biggest, largest, widest, greatest “nationwide” network. That is marketing with some degree of puffery.

What matters is that the device connects and stays connected with reasonable call quality, up/down speeds, reasonable latency and little data loss.

As a long time supporter of Sprint/T-Mo, I am looking for tangible and real progress for rural and fringe suburbia. Patience is a virtue but it has limits. Reliable and decent 4G LTE would be so so satisfying.

Marketing is not my cup of tea; results are
    - at least for many of us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gdrenick74 View Post
    Op-Ed

As a long time supporter of Sprint/T-Mo, I am looking for tangible and real progress for rural and fringe suburbia. Patience is a virtue but it has limits. Reliable and decent 4G LTE would be so so satisfying.
    Not to mention urban areas, of which there are thousands in the US. The first one I chose at random from the US census list of urban areas came in with no T-Mobile coverage at all. So, even if they moved to cover all urban areas (regardless of rural) it would be a big improvement.

Feedback Score
    It doesn't matter if it is 5G, 6G or 7G - cell service is still expensive. What difference does it make if one is first or last in the 5G race? Nothing but hype!

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gdrenick74 View Post
    Thanks! The OnePlus Nord N10 looks to be a decent second phone, too until I upgrade my iPhone X.

Novice question: Was there a consensus that a new phone must be T-Mo locked for 5G SA access? I will test it out if a third/sixth line free promotion comes around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    I think there's also an Motorola One device that's similar price. The only 'true' problem that I have with One Plus is their issues with bluetooth (One Plus 8 update from Android 10 to 11 causes Android Auto issues) - its been 4 months... no fix.

Carrier(s)
    Sprint/T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by formercanuck View Post
    I think there's also an Motorola One device that's similar price. The only 'true' problem that I have with One Plus is their issues with bluetooth (One Plus 8 update from Android 10 to 11 causes Android Auto issues) - its been 4 months... no fix.
    Moto one 5g ace. The unlocked variant is a better device than the n10 5g. The version TMobile sells though is only the 4gb of ram version. You can get the 6gb version unlocked and has a better chip than the n10.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone X, OnePlus Nord N10 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT and T
    Feedback Score
    Thanks all I will take a look at the Moto One 5G version. I am still in the 14-day return window.

Bluetooth is critical for me and Android Auto is useful for change of pace.I like the option of jumping between CarPlay (iPhone X) and Android Auto (OnePlus Nord 10 5G). I was not aware of any significant limitations.

Although I don’t know for certain, I suspect too that the OnePlus Nord 10 5G (circa 2020) could be stuck on Android 10.x. It may never see Android 11 which supposedly offers WiFi Android Auto for vehicles that support 5 GHz.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I can't say for the One Plus Nord 10, but I'd almost exchange my 8 for one just to have working Bluetooth in my vehicle again. Had to purchase a cheap BT adapter to use on my aux port to be able to use it.
    If you want a really cheap device... Tmobile is 'giving away' (credit) it's lowest Samsung 5g device.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    One plus forumsName:  Screenshot_20210512-161408.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  39.7 KB

Device(s)
    iPhone 12 ProMax, OnePlus 8 5G
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    I can't say for the One Plus Nord 10, but I'd almost exchange my 8 for one just to have working Bluetooth in my vehicle again. Had to purchase a cheap BT adapter to use on my aux port to be able to use it.
    If you want a really cheap device... Tmobile is 'giving away' (credit) it's lowest Samsung 5g device.

What issues are you having with the OP8? I use it with Android Auto no problem (This is on a pioneer head unit though)
    T-Mobile: Magenta Amplified (airline employee plan)
    AT$T: $50 Unlimited Elite Prepaid promo (for more “rural” areas)

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brad15 View Post
    What issues are you having with the OP8? I use it with Android Auto no problem (This is on a pioneer head unit though)
    Only with the One Plus 8, and only after the Android 10 to 11 upgrade, does the One Plus 8 stop pairing with Dodge Durango (non Android Auto - just vehicle Bluetooth voice/messages/audio).
    I've gone through 3 One Plus 8 (sent back to T-Mobile for warranty exchange) ... all 3 have the same issue, and only once the OP 8 upgrades to Android 11. I have a Samsung S10e on Android 11... no issues. Apple, no issues. Only this device. Bought a cheap $9 BT to AUX and it works fine. OP claims to know about the issue with 'some' vehicles. Its been 4 months.

Device(s)
    iPhone 12 ProMax, OnePlus 8 5G
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    Only with the One Plus 8, and only after the Android 10 to 11 upgrade, does the One Plus 8 stop pairing with Dodge Durango (non Android Auto - just vehicle Bluetooth voice/messages/audio).
    I've gone through 3 One Plus 8 (sent back to T-Mobile for warranty exchange) ... all 3 have the same issue, and only once the OP 8 upgrades to Android 11. I have a Samsung S10e on Android 11... no issues. Apple, no issues. Only this device. Bought a cheap $9 BT to AUX and it works fine. OP claims to know about the issue with 'some' vehicles. Its been 4 months.
    Humm that's odd, and I wonder what the issue is.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2