Thread: Bought New iPhone 12 on eBay

Feedback Score

Bought New iPhone 12 on eBay

I posted my questions in the Tracfone forum because I’ve used Tracfone/Verizon for years and have used several BYOP without issues but the guys over there thought maybe you guys could better help me.

I bought a new (sealed box) Verizon iPhone 12 on eBay from an individual and my intention was to use it with Tracfone or some other MVNO. In the meantime I was told that new Verizon phones are locked for 60 days (Postpay) or Prepaid (6 months) so I couldn’t use my newly purchased phone with Tracfone or any other MVNO. Realizing my goof up of course not too happy... I should get it on Wednesday.

It was suggested by one person in the Tracfone forum I should checkout Verizon’s Prepaid Plans and just activate and use for 6 months then I would be free to leave. Their $40 Plan with 5 GB is more expensive than I’m used to but I could see it as being workable for the short term... especially with the Loyalty Discounts.

It was also suggested I ask Verizon about a lump sum payment to get it unlocked and then compare what each method would cost me. Also he said I would think you could return the phone for a refund or exchange. Is any of this feasible?

Do new Verizon phones come with a SIM card?

Feedback Score
    How much cheaper was it than from VZW?
    I will be Judged on how I helped the poor, sick & others in need; strangers & loved ones alike.

Visible (Verizon) UTT & Unlimited Data $25/mo
    Liberty Wireless (T-Mobile) UTT 07.26.21
    T-Mobile Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.05.22
    Truphone (AT&T) every 180 days by 07.04.21

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post
    How much cheaper was it than from VZW?
    I really don’t know but didn’t want to get locked into anything if that would have been required.

Feedback Score
    Or from apple directly?

Feedback Score
    Yes I did check about buying directly from Apple and couldn't quality for payment's and the lump sum with taxes was just too much. So yes when compared to buying direct from Apple I paid a lot less.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mike2874 View Post
    Yes I did check about buying directly from Apple and couldn't quality for payment's and the lump sum with taxes was just too much. So yes when compared to buying direct from Apple I paid a lot less.
    How sure are you that it's actually locked to verizon? Depending on where it was purchased originally, I think it's possible that it was sold as a locked phone but is actually a reseller-flex phone (locks to first carrier sim used). If it IS such a phone, you won't have any trouble using it, but you might not want it locked to Tracfone (you might have trouble getting it unlocked to resell in the future).

Also, I've often had luck using an MVNO sim in locked phones -- as long as the MVNO is using the same carrier. So, maybe, just use a verizon tracfone sim? (this won't work for MetroPCS or Cricket, but it's always worked for me with AT&T and T-Mobile locked phones)

Device(s)
    OnePlus 8T, Apple iPad Air 4th Gen (WiFi), Apple iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, Verizon Prepaid, FreedomPop (AT&T)
    Feedback Score

Bought New iPhone 12 on eBay

It was also suggested I ask Verizon about a lump sum payment to get it unlocked and then compare what each method would cost me. Also he said I would think you could return the phone for a refund or exchange. Is any of this feasible?

Do new Verizon phones come with a SIM card?
    You won’t get a refund or exchange from Verizon without the original owner being involved. eBay has its own return/refund policy, but that is also complicated.

If it was originally purchased directly from a Verizon-branded store, yes it will come with a SIM. However, that may cause issues activating. When I was on Verizon postpaid and received my full price iPhone 6, it already knew my Verizon phone number even though I didn’t put in my old SIM or signed into my Apple ID previously into the phone. That seems to me that Verizon prescanned the SIM and IMEI so that Apple knew to activate it for my Verizon account immediately.

Other Resellers like Walmart, Best Buy, etc, likely will not have any SIMs in the package; this relates to the previous post about the reseller flex lock policy as it saves retailers inventory space from having to carry multiple ‘branded’ phones. Tracfone brands have their own Apple activation policy (which allows Tracfone-branded SIMs to swap easily), so using a Tracfone SIM would lock the phone to Tracfone if it was a reseller phone. Avoid initial activation with a Tracfone SIM, unless you want to wait 12 to unlock it for non-Tracfone use.

You may be best to initially activate it with a [not preinstalled] Verizon-branded SIM so that the clock starts on Verizon's 40-day unlock clock. If you plan to wait it out using a Prepaid plan, it would be best to go into a Verizon store to get a SIM and have them activate it. After that time frame, I would imagine any SIM should work.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    My common forum nick: GenesisDH.

R.I.P. Circuit City

We are the Bor... the new AT&T: Your World, Assimilated.

1000th post: Sept. 29th, 2008, 17:42 CDT

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Haas_Dave View Post
    You won’t get a refund or exchange from Verizon without the original owner being involved. eBay has its own return/refund policy, but that is also complicated.

If it was originally purchased directly from a Verizon-branded store, yes it will come with a SIM. However, that may cause issues activating. When I was on Verizon postpaid and received my full price iPhone 6, it already knew my Verizon phone number even though I didn’t put in my old SIM or signed into my Apple ID previously into the phone. That seems to me that Verizon prescanned the SIM and IMEI so that Apple knew to activate it for my Verizon account immediately.

Other Resellers like Walmart, Best Buy, etc, likely will not have any SIMs in the package; this relates to the previous post about the reseller flex lock policy as it saves retailers inventory space from having to carry multiple ‘branded’ phones. Tracfone brands have their own Apple activation policy (which allows Tracfone-branded SIMs to swap easily), so using a Tracfone SIM would lock the phone to Tracfone if it was a reseller phone. Avoid initial activation with a Tracfone SIM, unless you want to wait 12 to unlock it for non-Tracfone use.

You may be best to initially activate it with a [not preinstalled] Verizon-branded SIM so that the clock starts on Verizon's 40-day unlock clock. If you plan to wait it out using a Prepaid plan, it would be best to go into a Verizon store to get a SIM and have them activate it. After that time frame, I would imagine any SIM should work.

Wish I had seen your post earlier I got my phone and it did come with a SIM installed. I tried activating after I purchased a Prepaid plan online yesterday evening and I am trying to port over my number from Tracfone.

How long should I give it to activate before I call for help and who do I call... been 14 hours now and still says waiting for activation?

Could it be that my number still hasn't ported over? I've called every phone number I could find on Verizon's website for help but everything has been automated and no live help. I get shut down pretty quick when I give them my number (porting from Tracfone) it's always we don't recognize that number or you don't have a Verizon account.
    Last edited by mike2874; 03-24-2021 at 08:56 AM.

Device(s)
    OnePlus 8T, Apple iPad Air 4th Gen (WiFi), Apple iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, Verizon Prepaid, FreedomPop (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    Wish I had seen your post earlier I got my phone and it did come with a SIM installed. I tried activating after I purchased a Prepaid plan online yesterday evening and I am trying to port over my number from Tracfone.

How long should I give it to activate before I call for help and who do I call... been 14 hours now and still says waiting for activation?

Could it be that my number still hasn't ported over? I've called every phone number I could find on Verizon's website for help but everything has been automated and no live help. I get shut down pretty quick when I give them my number (porting from Tracfone) it's always we don't recognize that number or you don't have a Verizon account.
    Can you access the My Verizon site yet? If you can, this might show you the status of the number.

Porting shouldn’t take more than a couple days max, unless porting in a landline number.

The only support number I have ever used on prepaid was 888-294-6804, and I have only used it once.

Feedback Score
    So I finally called a local store and they transferred me to Prepaid assistance and then finally Porting assistance. The Porting guy was able to push through the port on my Tracfone number and that's all it took.

I now have a working phone thanks for all the help!