Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Simple Mobile on GSM/AT&T SIM swap question

Device(s)
    LG phones, Motorola, ZTE, occasional Alcatel
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score

Simple Mobile on GSM/AT&T SIM swap question

I have a Simple Mobile Moto e5 I got at Best Buy and its APN indicates it would run on AT&T not T-mobile.

Has anyone ever successfully used a SM GSM/AT&T phone on an AT&T SIM or AT&T MVNO SIM (like H20 Wireless)?

I'm thinking ahead to what may happen to TF GSM phones when VZ fully asserts itself.

Will they unlock phones incompatible with VZ even if they weren't activated for the required year, or will it be over with for the incompatible phones.

I got the e5 mistakenly believing that it could be "rebranded" to TF and found out on chat that it's considered locked to Simple Mobile. I've used it as a WiFi device since then but it's pristine and better actually than my TF e5 I got in an eBay bundle with airtime. That one has a malfunctioning headset jack but the SM one works.

I don't have any currently active AT&T or H20 Sims to test in the SM Moto. Only expired AT&T and H20 SIMs.

I think my LG Fiesta 2 is also SM branded. I got it for the same reason.

Sent from my LGL423DL using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    LG Q7+, LG Journey, LG Stylo 4+
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WheelieBoot View Post
    I have a Simple Mobile Moto e5 I got at Best Buy and its APN indicates it would run on AT&T not T-mobile.

Has anyone ever successfully used a SM GSM/AT&T phone on an AT&T SIM or AT&T MVNO SIM (like H20 Wireless)?

I'm thinking ahead to what may happen to TF GSM phones when VZ fully asserts itself.

Will they unlock phones incompatible with VZ even if they weren't activated for the required year, or will it be over with for the incompatible phones.

I got the e5 mistakenly believing that it could be "rebranded" to TF and found out on chat that it's considered locked to Simple Mobile.
    I bought a Simple Mobile Moto E5 in November 2018 from Simple web site. It came with a T-mo SIM but I never activated that SIM. The phone that I got is a DL model which works with AT&T, T-mo, and Verizon on TF. A forum member said the Simple Mobile Moto E5 that he bought at Walmart was not a DL model and wouldn't work with Verizon.

I've used my SM Moto E5 with a BYOP TF/AT&T SIM and a swapped-in BYOP TF/Verizon SIM. The APN can be edited to suit the carrier you want to use the phone with.

It will work with a BYOP TF/AT&T SIM, but will not with an MVNO (like H2O Wireless) that's not in the TF family, unless you've got TF to unlock it.

Below are some screenshots of my SM Moto E5 that I took back in Nov-Dec 2018.

Name:  Moto-E5-APN-Settings-01.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  13.9 KB

Name:  Moto-E5-APN-Settings-16.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  11.1 KB

Name:  Moto-E5-APN-Settings-15.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  28.4 KB

Name:  Moto-E5-Call-with-HD-Indicator.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  21.2 KB

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    Thank you for the info. Too bad it won't work with H20 (and assume not Red Pocket either).

I do have an old BYOP TF Triple Minutes SIM kit I got at Rite Aid a couple of years ago. I never used it but unfortunately I think I lost the GSM / AT&T SIM I need.

I looked for it and thought I found it but it wasn't the one, it was the CDMA or VZ SIM.

Interesting that the e5 you got does work as a BYOP. I should stick the kit's VZ SIM in just to see how it reacts.

If the APN was edited to VZWinternet maybe itd be ok if the phone does have the bands present to use the service. If not, well, it's just an experiment.

I'm sure VZ won't want to do biz with GSM phones if it's more profitable for them to have all TF customers on VZ, so the GSM phones will not be a loss to them anyway if we can repurpose them to other networks. My theory anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    I bought a Simple Mobile Moto E5 in November 2018 from Simple web site. It came with a T-mo SIM but I never activated that SIM. The phone that I got is a DL model which works with AT&T, T-mo, and Verizon on TF. A forum member said the Simple Mobile Moto E5 that he bought at Walmart was not a DL model and wouldn't work with Verizon.

I've used my SM Moto E5 with a BYOP TF/AT&T SIM and a swapped-in BYOP TF/Verizon SIM. The APN can be edited to suit the carrier you want to use the phone with.

It will work with a BYOP TF/AT&T SIM, but will not with an MVNO (like H2O Wireless) that's not in the TF family, unless you've got TF to unlock it.

Below are some screenshots of my SM Moto E5 that I took back in Nov-Dec 2018.

Name:  Moto-E5-APN-Settings-01.jpg
Size:  13.9 KB

Name:  Moto-E5-APN-Settings-16.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  11.1 KB

Name:  Moto-E5-APN-Settings-15.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  28.4 KB

Name:  Moto-E5-Call-with-HD-Indicator.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  21.2 KB

Feedback Score
    ...I'm sure VZ won't want to do biz with GSM phones if it's more profitable for them to have all TF customers on VZ, so the GSM phones will not be a loss to them anyway if we can repurpose them to other networks. My theory anyway...
    Yeah maybe VZW will be forced to unlock the phones that won't work on VZW. Or maybe they'll do it out of the goodness of their hearts.
    I will be Judged on how I helped the poor, sick & others in need; strangers & loved ones alike.

Visible (Verizon) UTT & Unlimited Data $25/mo
    Liberty Wireless (T-Mobile) UTT 07.26.21
    T-Mobile Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.05.22
    Truphone (AT&T) every 180 days by 07.04.21

Device(s)
    LG Q7+, LG Journey, LG Stylo 4+
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Interesting that the e5 you got does work as a BYOP. I should stick the kit's VZ SIM in just to see how it reacts.
    My SM Moto E5 is a DL model and can be used with TF/VZW but you have to (improperly) swap in a BYOP TF/VZW SIM that was activated with another phone's IMEI. The IMEI of a phone branded by Simple Mobile or another TF subsidiary won't pass the whitelist check.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post
    Yeah maybe VZW will be forced to unlock the phones that won't work on VZW. Or maybe they'll do it out of the goodness of their hearts.
    Yeah, right. I won't be expecting too much consideration.

My current TFs are on TF/VZ. I will probably be leaving anyway when the last phone expires because I expect plan changes and higher prices.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    My SM Moto E5 is a DL model and can be used with TF/VZW but you have to (improperly) swap in a BYOP TF/VZW SIM that was activated with another phone's IMEI. The IMEI of a phone branded by Simple Mobile or another TF subsidiary won't pass the whitelist check.
    OK, so it isn't straightforward, can't just activate a BYOP SIM and change the APN. We'll, it was a thought. A shame that so many GSM TF family phones may become junk.

My fault for buying a SM phone but who was to know VZ was going to take over.

I'll just use the two SM phones I have for WiFi.

Thank you for the info.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    If you cannot get it rebranded for official use with Tracfone airtime for a year you will never get it unlocked... without a year of SM T-mobile airtime.
    You cannot use transferred airtime to pass the year of use. The airtime must be added new to the phone you want to unlock after a year. Transferred airtime can only unlock the phone it was originally added to.

SIM swapping an active AT&T or Verizon SIM will only work up until the time Tracfone discovers the swap and decides they want to step in and ruin your joy. My SM E5 worked with an active AT&T SIM and an active Verizon SIM swapped in. It automatically reset the phone for the new SIM... swap and play.

The E5 is now retired. About a year ago I swapped the AT&T SIM into a TF Moto G6... about the 5th phone this same SIM has been in.
    Every DL model I have ever SIM swapped into was plug and play... never had to set them up for the service provider change.

I have not SIM swapped since TF complicated the rules for SIM swapping.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    I just got this private message...

QUOTE,

Please be informed that SIMPLE Mobile's carrier is only T-mobile.

(WHEELIEBOOT/my note/mine says AT&T on the APN, not T-mobile)

QUOTE,

Our branded SIMPLE Mobile phones are not carrier unlocked. It can only be activated in our service. However, we can unlock your phone only if you meet the set requirements.
    SIMPLE Mobile will provide an unlocking code to customers who request unlocking, provided they meet the following conditions:
    1. Customers must request phone unlocking. SIMPLE Mobile will unlock phones of current and former SIMPLE Mobile customers without charge. Non-former customers may request unlocking, but SIMPLE Mobile may charge a reasonable fee.
    2. The SIMPLE Mobile handset must have been activated on SIMPLE Mobile service for no fewer than 12 months with service plans redeemed in no fewer than 12 months.
    3. Customers must possess a SIMPLE mobile handset that is not reported stolen, lost, or associated with fraudulent activity.
    4. If a customer in good standing requesting phone unlocking is deployed as military personnel, upon provision of deployment papers, SIMPLE Mobile will honor that customer’s unlocking request.

However, beginning February 03, 2021, we now offer our customers the option to unlock the phone for a fee if they have not met the 12 months of service requirements. The fee will be $150 minus $12 for every paid active month per device (cards on reserve are not calculated as paid active).

To process your unlocking request, please call Customer Service at 1-800-867-7183. You may also go to http://www.tfwunlockpolicy.com/. Enter the serial number (IMEI/MEID DEC) or the phone number of the device that you want to unlock.

Lastly, your SIMPLE Mobile phone can be rebranded to TracFone Wireless. The process is easy and simply!

Should you have other questions or concerns, please chat with us at http://bit.ly/2CuBvXO, or text the word Chat to short code 611611. For your convenience, our representatives are available Mondays to Sundays from 08:00 AM to 11:45 PM EST.

END QUOTE.

It says SM phones CAN be rebranded to TF. I wonder why the chat CSR said no... Of course that wasn't recent. I think I asked to rebrand the LG Fiesta 2 and they said no, cant be done.

I did rebrand a Straight Talk Fiesta by chat but within a very short while the SIM deactivated itself, no service, so I had my account switched to another phone (this LG SOLO).

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Your mistake was not stopping until three TF CSR said it could not be rebranded. Never accept what just one CSR tells you as being fact.

SM only has T-Mobile SIM cards. But their phones are DL models, like every other Tracfone company, and are capable of functioning with AT&T and Verizon SIM`s.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    In this case, rebranding my e5 probably would not be worth it. The underlying GSM service of SM will probably be rejected as TF is molded to VZ's new purpose. Or I'd try to rebrand it because it is a good phone. I'd swap it with my already TF branded e5 because the TF e5 has a disfunctional headset jack. But if I swapped e5's, I would lose the chance to apply for unlock on the current active one when it hits a year this November.

To rebrand the SM e5, I would either have to transfer my LG SOLO account to it at activation, or activate with a new number. Then if by some great chance VZ didn't kick the GSM handsets off the service and I could keep it active a year, then I could apply for unlock next year. But, it would genuinely have to be an AT&T GSM TF handset, that's what I want, but TF Alex said their SM handsets are only T-mobile. Very weird because mine says AT&T in its APN.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracfancier View Post
    If you cannot get it rebranded for official use with Tracfone airtime for a year you will never get it unlocked... without a year of SM T-mobile airtime.
    You cannot use transferred airtime to pass the year of use. The airtime must be added new to the phone you want to unlock after a year. Transferred airtime can only unlock the phone it was originally added to.

SIM swapping an active AT&T or Verizon SIM will only work up until the time Tracfone discovers the swap and decides they want to step in and ruin your joy. My SM E5 worked with an active AT&T SIM and an active Verizon SIM swapped in. It automatically reset the phone for the new SIM... swap and play.

The E5 is now retired. About a year ago I swapped the AT&T SIM into a TF Moto G6... about the 5th phone this same SIM has been in.
    Every DL model I have ever SIM swapped into was plug and play... never had to set them up for the service provider change.

I have not SIM swapped since TF complicated the rules for SIM swapping.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    You're right, I should have tried again on a different day.

T-Mobile service is iffy here, so I wouldn't want to use the e5 on their network. One iffy T-mobile phone is all I can stand. AT&T and VZ are good here.

Your mistake was not stopping until three TF CSR said it could not be rebranded. Never accept what just one CSR tells you as being fact.

SM only has T-Mobile SIM cards. But their phones are DL models, like every other Tracfone company, and are capable of functioning with AT&T and Verizon SIM`s.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    T-Mobile is useless where I live. Always has been.
    Remember that transferred airtime does not qualify for unlocking the phone you transfer the service to.
    When you transfer the airtime off the SOLO you render the airtime useless for unlocking ANY phone... even the SOLO.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    T-Mobile is useless where I live. Always has been.
    Remember that transferred airtime does not qualify for unlocking the phone you transfer the service to.
    When you transfer the airtime off the SOLO you render the airtime useless for unlocking ANY phone... even the SOLO.
    Okay so it would need all new airtime. That means I can't buy a TF airtime bundle phone on eBay and add that to the phone to get the required years service. Too bad. The cheapest way would then be with 60units 90 day airtime cards. (?)

I took screen shots of the SM Moto's APN. It is grayed out ("SIM not provisioned") but can read TracFone reseller, and farther down, AT&T.

Name:  IMG_motoe5SM-APN1.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  13.9 KBName:  IMG_motoe5SM-APN2.jpg
Size:  15.2 KB

Sent from my moto e5 (XT1920DL) using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    My SM LG Fiesta 2 has mobile network grayed out in the menu so I can't see its APN. The model is I think L163BL. I'm writing this on the F2 so the model should display at the end of the message.

Sent from my LGL163BL using HoFo mobile app

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast