Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Inexpensive home internet service Pre or Postpaid

Carrier(s)
    H20
    Feedback Score

Inexpensive home internet service Pre or Postpaid

Have an elderly relative that has very slow DSL and cable internet is not available. They do very little and only have one computer. Something with a 10GB data cap monthly is probably overkill even. Tmobile had my attention but then they raised prices to $60 a month and I'm sure more with taxes and fees. Just need something reliable and cheap. They are in a good area for cell coverage by all 4 providers. DSL is unable to stream any video which they need for church services. Thanks in advance!

Feedback Score
    Probably better deal out there but I'm happy with Total wireless. Better then that $60 you mentioned with Tmobile. Also have multiple lines discount. https://www.totalwireless.com/serviceplan

Device(s)
    Nexus 5, Nexus 6P, Boost Mobile ZTE Speed, Moto G5 Plus, Moto X4, Moto G Stylus(2020)
    Carrier(s)
    SafeLink(T-Mobile), FreedomPop(AT&T), Google Fi(T-Mobile)
    Feedback Score

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S21 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jayjr1105 View Post
    Have an elderly relative that has very slow DSL and cable internet is not available. They do very little and only have one computer. Something with a 10GB data cap monthly is probably overkill even. Tmobile had my attention but then they raised prices to $60 a month and I'm sure more with taxes and fees. Just need something reliable and cheap. They are in a good area for cell coverage by all 4 providers. DSL is unable to stream any video which they need for church services. Thanks in advance!
    Just curious, where do they live and which DSL provider ? I use ADSL from Centurylink at my home. I only pay a flat $35 (all fees and taxes inclusive). My internet connection isn't great, but I can easily stream video.
    Just another day in paradise.....

Device(s)
    Nokia 3390
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    See the "cheap unlimited 2G hotspot" thread that I started; a few posts down.

I went with T-Mobile pre-paid -- plans start at $5 -- $10GB high-speed would be $30. Just get a cheap compatible hot-spot device from eBay or buy a new one, and all they'll have to do would be buy the T-mobile refill cards at the store or refill via credit card. I linked a $1.80 free shipping T-Mobile SIM card that is compatible on one of the pages of that tread as well.

https://prepaid.t-mobile.com/prepaid-internet

Feedback Score
    If they do any amount of streaming for full church services they may eat through 10GB. I went from slow dsl to wireless and with the faster speed you can tend to do more that you didn't do before.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Serial Port View Post
    Just curious, where do they live and which DSL provider ? I use ADSL from Centurylink at my home. I only pay a flat $35 (all fees and taxes inclusive). My internet connection isn't great, but I can easily stream video.
    In some areas that only have copper wire Century Link DSL is less then 1.5 mbps. (averages 600kbps, can't stream at that without allot of buffering) and they're now no longer offering it to areas that don't have fiber. You may have fiber in your area.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S21 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    You may have fiber in your area.
    Not an option in my neighborhood, just POTS here. Only select neighborhoods in my city have it available and I am not in one of them. Pretty pathetic that they don't have it in more areas where I live.

Carrier(s)
    H20
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Serial Port View Post
    Verizon and it's 1mbps. Tech came out yesterday and cleaned up some things on the pole and got a new modem. Still maybe 1.1mbps tops. No fiber, no comcast. A 10/10 4G connection would be enough. So no prepaid competition here for Tmobile $60 month internet?

Carrier(s)
    H20
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mt999999 View Post
    See the "cheap unlimited 2G hotspot" thread that I started; a few posts down.

I went with T-Mobile pre-paid -- plans start at $5 -- $10GB high-speed would be $30. Just get a cheap compatible hot-spot device from eBay or buy a new one, and all they'll have to do would be buy the T-mobile refill cards at the store or refill via credit card. I linked a $1.80 free shipping T-Mobile SIM card that is compatible on one of the pages of that tread as well.

https://prepaid.t-mobile.com/prepaid-internet
    So I can basically pick any data only plan from an MVNO and just buy the device? What kind of device am I looking at? I know customers of mine have used cradlepoints but they are pricey.

Feedback Score
    https://www.millenicom.com/

Millenicom has unlimited data plans for all three major carriers, though they're a bit pricey.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    If they do any amount of streaming for full church services they may eat through 10GB. I went from slow dsl to wireless and with the faster speed you can tend to do more that you didn't do before.
    Video streaming is more like 1-3 GB per hour for HD720 - HD1080.

Device(s)
    Nokia 3390
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    So I can basically pick any data only plan from an MVNO and just buy the device? What kind of device am I looking at? I know customers of mine have used cradlepoints but they are pricey.
    Well, that plan that I linked isn't from an MVNO, it's from t-mobile directly - just their pre-paid service. Plans picture attached. I just bought one of these devices, see eBay link, although the one I found was cheaper -- look around. Still, $30 isn't bad:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GSM-T-Mobil...Cclp%3A2334524Name:  tmo_htsp.png
Views: 69
Size:  50.5 KB

Feedback Score
    See if you can get the free T-Mobile Test Drive.

https://www.t-mobile.com/offers/free-trial

It's a free hotspot device and 30 GB for up to 30 days, no strings attached. You don't even have to return the hotspot device.

That will tell you if T-Mo works for your location. After the test drive you can use the device on a paid T-Mo plan.

Carrier(s)
    H20
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    See if you can get the free T-Mobile Test Drive.

https://www.t-mobile.com/offers/free-trial

It's a free hotspot device and 30 GB for up to 30 days, no strings attached. You don't even have to return the hotspot device.

That will tell you if T-Mo works for your location. After the test drive you can use the device on a paid T-Mo plan.
    Tmob coverage maps shows great service in this area. 4/5G full coverage. Tmob also keeps jacking up the price on the home internet plans. they start at $60 month now. I just called our local Tmob store (not reseller)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast