Thread: Wanting to change from Verizon to T-Mobile Connect

Feedback Score

Wanting to change from Verizon to T-Mobile Connect

I am technology challenged so please bear with me.

I have a Samsung S7 (4G) and currently, I have a "Red" (Verizon) pre-paid plan with boom Mobile. 1,500 talk minutes, unlimited text, and 500MB of data. I am paying $21.99 and this includes a $2.99 Regulatory Recovery Fee.

I need a little more data. Boom Mobile offers the T-Mobile $15 Connect plan where I can get 2GB of data. I can save a few dollars but more importantly, 2GB of data will be more than I need (when I reach my 500MB of data, I am used to the data ending). Boom said that my S7 is compatible and for $7 they will send me a new SIM card. I reside in Philadelphia and do not expect any difference in coverage. These are my questions:

1. Do you see any reason(s) not to make the switch?
    2. Can I get the Connect plan online?
    3. Since I am technology challenged, can I get the Connect plan at the local T-Mobile store?
    4. Is there any disadvantage to getting this plan through boom Mobile? I have been with them since 2017 and have been very pleased with their customer service. When I have a question, I am able to get them on the phone with minimal to no wait time. They have my credit card on file and each month I get a text message that my credit card has been charged.
    5. Is there anything else that I should be aware of?

Thank you!

Anovise

Device(s)
    Nokia 3390
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    In your situation, since you're used to Boom, I would just stick with their T-mobile offering. It costs the same, $15, directly through T-mobile. T-Mobile stores charge $10 for a SIM, $7 is a good deal. The connect plan is hard-capped as well like your current plan. If service is the same for T-Mobile and Verizon, it sounds like it's a worth while switch to T-Mobile in my opinion. Keep in mind, that through T-Mobile, it's been reported that the taxes/fees come to an additional $5 or so, but it looks like even still you would be saving money with that deal, and getting 4 times the data.

Feedback Score
    As it turns out, staying with boom Mobile with T-Mobile lines is less advantageous than going directly to T-Mobile. 1 GB of data for $19.00 + $2.99 for the Regulatory Recovery Fee for a monthly total of $21.99. Boom Mobile does not charge for the SIM but charges $8.00 shipping for the SIM!

I called one of the local T-Mobile stores and the Connect plan (for whatever reason the store does not go by the name of the plan but the price) is $15 + tax. Unlimited talk and text and 2.5 GB of data. I do not know why but they do not charge the monthly $2.99 Regulatory Recovery Fee. The SIM card is $10.00 + tax.

Unless I am missing something, changing from boom Mobile with Verizon lines and going directly with T-Mobile will cost me a few dollars less and increase my data from 500 MB to 2.5 GB per month.

Device(s)
    Nokia 3390
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Correct; that is the T-Mobile direct pricing. It seems that Boom Mobile charges a fair deal more for it. Those "regulatory" fees are usually just junk fees some companies use to charge you more money; without much meaning behind them.

Every year, T-Mobile will add another 500MB/mo to the connect plan. From their website: "Unlimited talk and text, plus 2GB of high-speed data. And we'll increase your data by 500MB each year for the next five years."

If you keep this plan for the next 5 years, you'll have 5GB/mo by then. Honestly, you won't get a better wireless value than this plan. For your needs, I would switch.

Feedback Score
    You can buy your T-mobile refill on eBay for less money. It has steadily been going up. I started paying 55% a year ago. It’s gone up to about 70% now. There are several sellers. Email delivered refill pins.

Feedback Score
    Since this is new to me, I am a bit confused.

I will be going to the T-Mobile store Tuesday to get my SIM card and do whatever else I need to change to their Connect plan. My intention was to have them debit my credit card on a monthly basis as I arranged with boom Mobile. Are you suggesting not to do this and instead buy a refill on eBay? How does this work? What you mean by "I started paying 55% a year ago. It’s gone up to about 70% now."

Thanks!

Device(s)
    Nokia 3390
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Anovise View Post

I will be going to the T-Mobile store Tuesday to get my SIM card and do whatever else I need to change to their Connect plan. My intention was to have them debit my credit card on a monthly basis as I arranged with boom Mobile. Are you suggesting not to do this and instead buy a refill on eBay? How does this work? What you mean by "I started paying 55% a year ago. It’s gone up to about 70% now."

Thanks!
    You can use T-Mobile refill cards to refill the service, if you so choose. You call the number on the back of the cards to apply the balance.

However, these refill cards are sold on eBay also, and you can get a discount on them. I'm not sure how it works, but it does work. Below is an example. It's a $30 refill card for sale for $20. That's 66.7% off.

If you have ever purchased things on eBay before, it's a simple process. Buy the card, and send the seller a message with your mobile phone number. Now there is money instantly added to your account. (takes a couple hours).

If you are not familiar with purchasing things on eBay, this might be an added level of stress that is not worth it to you to save ~32-33% on your bill. It is easier to have them auto-debit your account, but myself, being cheap as possible, I have been buying these cards on eBay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/T-Mobile-Pr...53.m1438.l2649

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mt999999 View Post
    You can use T-Mobile refill cards to refill the service, if you so choose. You call the number on the back of the cards to apply the balance.

However, these refill cards are sold on eBay also, and you can get a discount on them. I'm not sure how it works, but it does work. Below is an example. It's a $30 refill card for sale for $20. That's 66.7% off.

If you have ever purchased things on eBay before, it's a simple process. Buy the card, and send the seller a message with your mobile phone number. Now there is money instantly added to your account. (takes a couple hours).

If you are not familiar with purchasing things on eBay, this might be an added level of stress that is not worth it to you to save ~32-33% on your bill. It is easier to have them auto-debit your account, but myself, being cheap as possible, I have been buying these cards on eBay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/T-Mobile-Pr...53.m1438.l2649
    Thanks for your post!

As an "insurance" plan, can I sign up to have T-Mobile auto-debit my credit card AND purchase a T-Mobile refill card on ebay? This way if all goes well with the refill card on ebay, after a few billing cycles, I can discontinue having T-Mobile auto-debit my credit card.

Thanks!

Anovise

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Mint, Red Pocket
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Anovise View Post

Thanks!
    Target and Kroger regularly sell refill cards (ePins) online at 5/10/15% discount, plus 5% with RedCard if you have it. Target is also sales tax free, Kroger - it depends on your state (none in my state, only a flat .50 e911 fee). Also, paying by refill avoids paying taxes/fees that autopay by CC incurs.
    Yes, you can set up autopay and pay via refills.

Feedback Score
    I apologize for not responding sooner.
    I find a reputable seller on ebay and buy a T-Mobile refill. I give them my phone number, and within a couple hours they add credit to my account. In the past I have purchased for example a $100 credit for $62. It has been steadily increasing lately. They also charge sales tax from where I live.
    As you stated, you could add your credit card to the account and also have a balance from manual refills. I would imagine the refill balance would get consumed first before the card is charged.