Thread: what is the self-activation like?

Feedback Score

what is the self-activation like?

I am an AT&T customer jumping ship because they didn't have the phone I want. I found the phone online at Trac Fone. The only problem I can see is that they don't have stores where a customer can go in and get help from a real live person. i have never activated a phone before, and I also want to keep my old number. The phone I'm getting is one of theirs, they are selling it to me and I hope this means the self-activation goes well.I will have the LG 125DL, which is a simple flip phone.Can someone tell me how this self activation works, such as did you have problems and was customer service able to resolve any issues with activation? Thank you

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by william wh View Post
    I am an AT&T customer jumping ship because they didn't have the phone I want. I found the phone online at Trac Fone. The only problem I can see is that they don't have stores where a customer can go in and get help from a real live person. i have never activated a phone before, and I also want to keep my old number. The phone I'm getting is one of theirs, they are selling it to me and I hope this means the self-activation goes well.I will have the LG 125DL, which is a simple flip phone.Can someone tell me how this self activation works, such as did you have problems and was customer service able to resolve any issues with activation? Thank you
    Instructions to activate the phone and service will come in the box. It's simple and works well. If you find the need to contact customer support, consider using online chat. Calling to talk to a human can be painful. Many of them barely speak English.

Your LG 125DL will most likely come with a SIM for Verizon.

I have been using Tracfone for eighteen years. It has worked fine for me.

Feedback Score
    If you run into some activation trouble, you might be able to find a local service store (cellular service broker?) who includes Tracfone, but not exactly sure - maybe this only applies to certain of the Tracfone companies.

I activated on a Tracfone device with Tracfone a few years ago. Not too bad. The activation worked but I do not remember any details. I believe I strictly used the through-landline telephone number for activation. You on the other hand are hoping to KEEP a current number. I was just interested in starting with a new number. You will need some details to provide, in order to keep your current number from AT&T.

My feel is that best to try Tracfone to learn about Tracfone - NOT to keep an important telephone line number.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Do not cancel your AT&T account or you will lose your phone number. Also, most companies require active service to transfer out the number to the next provider.

You will need airtime, so consider a bundle unless you have excess money to simply throw away. HSN has the phone and airtime for $49.99... the airtime alone sells for $100. When the airtime is near used up, buy another cheap bundle. Or buy two bundles now and have combined airtime on one, and a spare phone tucked away for troubleshooting problems.
    https://www.hsn.com/products/lg-clas...-wwire/9705519
    Also, check QVC and the Tracfone e-Bay store. Pay attention to the brand at the e-Bay store as they also sell Tracfone sister company items.
    https://www.qvc.com/electronics/phon...+High#plModule
    https://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_nkw...reless&_sop=15

Being new you have a lot to learn to play the game. We here are a group of money-saving do-it-yourselfers. Earning or saving money takes some effort and time on your part. You will learn a lot in the process. So ask questions first... make fewer costly and time-consuming mistakes as you learn.

Feedback Score
    It's about time I heard a positive review about Trac Fone! Hopefully i have good luck too.

Feedback Score
    I have already learned to keep the ATT and to give Trac fone my ATT PIN and account number. I have that info already. this is a flip phone i am going to be using, texts and messaging only. They have a plan with unlimited texts and calls for $ 20 a month, more if i want more GB which i don't.The phone itself was $ 29.
    So this venture into Trac Fone isn't going to cost too much and if I have to bail to go back to ATT or some major carrier I haven't lost too much. Though already Ive had a bad taste of their customer service. They sent me a phone on March 19 to the wrong address! It is now languishing in Fed Ex waiting to be retuened and I ordered a new phone (same flip phone) this morning. Hopefully i get THAT one!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracfancier View Post
    Being new you have a lot to learn to play the game. We here are a group of money-saving do-it-yourselfers. Earning or saving money takes some effort and time on your part. You will learn a lot in the process. So ask questions first... make fewer costly and time-consuming mistakes as you learn.
    Yes, the Tracfone forum members have a lot of collective know-how to make up for the notorious lack of customer service. Some of the pioneers came up with doing things long before CS even knew what the subjects were. It will be interesting (scary?) to see how Verizon deals with all of this if/when they take over later this year.

Device(s)
    LG Premier Pro Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone / Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Also, keep in mind, if you go to the TracFone website and create an account there... username... password. then you can edit the name of your phone, AND if you want to just add minutes, you can buy 500 minutes for $10.00 plus fees. Taxes and such come up to around $11 and change for me in Michigan. You can also add additional DATA or TEXT to you phone, and not just talk minutes. Remember, though, that these are add on minutes/texts/data and don't add any length of your service.

I buy those TracFone cards at Walmart fo $19 that add 60 minutes, and my daughters LG Journey will triple all the minutes, texts and data. and add 90 days to her service dates. My phone is good until the year 2060 so I am good for life. All I need to do is buy the occasional minutes.

Once you have an account set up at Tracfone.com it's easy to upgrade or switch between phones and keep the same number. You can activate a new phone with an old phone's number and it transfers over all you time, talk text and data to that phone. Basically the phone is now recorded as assigned to that number and your talk./ texts / data is sort of associated with that number.
    I was born with nothing and have managed to keep most of it.
    When I was a kid rocks were soft and dirt was new.

LG Rebel 4(current house phone) -> LG Premier Pro Plus(my pack along)

Feedback Score
    Too bad you have to have that 1 specific phone. Because $20/mo. for UTT these days is not a good deal. I went Liberty Wireless eBay exclusive 360 day deal $60 up front ($5/30 days) for UTT every month.
    I will be Judged on how I helped the poor, sick & others in need; strangers & loved ones alike.

Visible (Verizon) UTT & Unlimited Data $25/mo
    Liberty Wireless (T-Mobile) UTT 07.26.21
    T-Mobile Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.05.22
    Truphone (AT&T) every 180 days by 07.04.21

Device(s)
    LG phones, Motorola, ZTE, occasional Alcatel
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post
    Too bad you have to have that 1 specific phone. Because $20/mo. for UTT these days is not a good deal. I went Liberty Wireless eBay exclusive 360 day deal $60 up front ($5/30 days) for UTT every month.
    I just saw that Liberty plan on eBay but it said no data. Red Pocket has a T-Mo based plan $30/year. While not unlimited it offers 200talk/ 1000 text/ 200mb

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-50-Mo-Red....c100930.m5375

Sent from my LGL423DL using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    OP doesn't need data afair.

Feedback Score
    To port a # in from a different carrier will require a phone call. Took about 45 minutes last time I had it done. That was from at&t to a TracFone BYOP ATT.