Thread: Coverage coastal Maine?

Feedback Score

Coverage coastal Maine?

A couple of years ago T-Mobile coverage along coastal Maine was pretty limited and there were many dead spots even if you had some coverage. I just took a look at their coverage map and it looks like they are claiming pretty good coverage now, even way Down East past Jonesport. Is that real? I'm based in Massachusetts and even though they claim a lot of coverage around here it is not real in terms of signal. Thinking of going to Maine this summer.

Device(s)
    One Plus 8 (T-Mobile), Samsung S10e (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Better make sure that you have something with LTE 600 / 5G on it, from T-Mobile's maps.
    https://maps.t-mobile.com/pcc.html?map=mvno-noroam-5
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

Feedback Score
    I was looking at this coverage map: https://www.t-mobile.com/coverage/coverage-map

I have a Pixel 4a so have Band 71 but no 5G.

Device(s)
    1+ 8T 5G, Galaxy S20 5G, Moto G7 Power
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ten Four View Post
    .....I have a Pixel 4a so have Band 71 but no 5G.
    Is that phone from T-Mobile or Google? Some areas in Maine may rely on USCC roaming, which is problematic with BYOD Android phones.
    Donald Newcomb

Feedback Score
    My Pixel 4a was purchased direct from Google, unlocked.

Device(s)
    1+ 8T 5G, Galaxy S20 5G, Moto G7 Power
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ten Four View Post
    My Pixel 4a was purchased direct from Google, unlocked.
    So, when you zoom way in on T-Mobile's coverage map, you get different shades of magenta and sometimes tan. The tan indicates LTE roaming, which in the case of Maine is US Cellular (USCC).

There have been issues with Android BYODs roaming USCC. This is because USCC asked T-Mobile to provide a list of their LTE phones, so T-Mobile sent over all the TACs for the phones they sell. USCC implemented this list as a whitelist, implying that if your phone isn't on the list, it's blocked. It seems that the TACs of iPhones are all intermixed among carriers. So, all recent iPhones work.

Bottom line, don't be surprised if you can't roam USCC, where the map is colored tan. If you can roam USCC with your phone, please let us know.

Feedback Score
    Interesting. Thanks!

Feedback Score
    It's going to be very spotty outside of Portland. Good example would be Kittery to york, on route 1 you'll be good but go out to waterside in york harbor, Nubble light area and it's a tmo ghost town. I've done uber/lyft from Kittery to Portland and it's truly a spotty hit or miss.

Go on vacation, enjoy it, and if needed drive to RT1 for your phone fix needs!

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    It's going to be very spotty outside of Portland.
    That's what I have found in the past. I'm old enough not to go into a cold sweat when I lose cell service, but with 90+ year-old parents it is becoming more important to stay in touch when away on vacations. Is there anyway to get a SIM that is accepted by USCC? Or, do you have to just purchase a phone from T Mobile? Will any unlocked iPhone be accepted by USCC?

Feedback Score
    I'll let a TMO expert chime in, but I used a 4a from google to Lyft/uber and it was spotty. If it's something urgent, get a gps phone as a backup. They are not cost prohibitive and can easily by a calling/message pack for your vacation time. I went to Alaska last fall for a bit and kept one with me along with my TMO phone.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    I took a AT&T prepaid, Verizon prepaid and TMobile prepaid with me to Acadia last September just for fun.

There was no native TMobile in Bar Harbor last September. At my hotel right in the village the TMobile only could roam to AT&T. There was a tower right in the middle of the village and TMobile clearly wasn't on it. Unlocked Oneplus phone bought from Oneplus and a G Power couldn't roam on US Cellular because they're unlocked, which is very stupid and very out of character for the way TMobile claims to be.

Driving back south down the coast on US 1, there was no TMobile coverage from east of Belfast down to about Camden. Coverage in Camden and Rockland was fine as long as your have Band 71. Most of those Maine towns TMobile does not have a lot of spectrum deployed, there is a lot of Band 71 only. Not sure how they'll do with speed in a real non-pandemic vacation season.

Feedback Score
    It's definitely not conclusive information, but have you tried cell mapper? It will at least provide some evidence, or lack of it, of T-Mobile coverage depending on who has gone there.

If you see green in the places you are going for T-Mobile, that's very good. If you don't see anything, all that that conclusively says is that no one using T-Mobile has been there.

If you see red, there's a little bit of coverage but it's rather poor.

And yes, Nexus, you will find such areas all over the country at least until T-Mobile covers the large gap with the other carriers. I think they have made great progress so far.

Feedback Score
    Thanks Nexus Man. That's about what I have found in the past.