Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Can one activate WI-FI calling without giving physical address

Feedback Score

Can one activate WI-FI calling without giving physical address

I just got Rebel K-31 from HSN and it seem it is capable of WI-FI calling. But before activating that feature, it is asking for physical address of phone owner for 911 emergency service. For security and privacy reason (call me paranoid ), I just don't feel too comfortable giving out that information.

Can I just give it a bogus physical address and be done with it. Or is that technically and morally wrong?

Thanks

Device(s)
    iphone 6s plus
    Carrier(s)
    VZW,T-mobile,Cricket,Fi
    Feedback Score
    Depending on the type of emergency, you could even get someone killed by dialing 911 and having the police show up at the wrong house.
    "I didn't get fat by accident. This was a personal choice. " - Kevin Gillespie

Device(s)
    LY Stylo 2v
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony_D View Post
    I just got Rebel K-31 from HSN and it seem it is capable of WI-FI calling. But before activating that feature, it is asking for physical address of phone owner for 911 emergency service. For security and privacy reason (call me paranoid ), I just don't feel too comfortable giving out that information.

Can I just give it a bogus physical address and be done with it. Or is that technically and morally wrong?

Thanks
    If you ever need to call 911 do you want them showing up at someone else's house or yours? Would advise against giving a false address.

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon, Red Pocket, Tracfone)
    Feedback Score
    Of course the address isn't helpful if you aren't at home. Sure an emergency call on wifi is likely to be from home, but not always. A friends house? Family? Work?

Most public hotspots block calls (or did) but there are still lots of places you could be.

And that's the drawback of mapping an address to a mobile number.

It'd be nice if router/access points could have assigned addresses that are used for 911 calls. Still at the mercy of who sets it up, but at least a protocol in place. Maybe add a way for location info from the phone to be sent with a wifi 911 call like they do over cellular.

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I always wondered about this because if you are somewhere else using somewhere else's WiFi, they would be going to the wrong address.

I know some businesses are dead spots with cell service, but they have WiFi. I have seen people have to call 911 in businesses in recent time.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by advcomp2019 View Post
    I always wondered about this because if you are somewhere else using somewhere else's WiFi, they would be going to the wrong address.

I know some businesses are dead spots with cell service, but they have WiFi. I have seen people have to call 911 in businesses in recent time.
    The first thing a 911 operator will ask is, "what is your emergency?" After that they will ask for your location. They are only going to respond to the registered location if you can't speak.

This is not a big problem.

Device(s)
    TF iPhone SE & 6S, Tracfone Samsung Luna Pro, LG Rebel 4, Fiesta 2
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    If this is a Tracfone branded phone running on Verizon, I don't think Wi-Fi calling is going to actually work.
    You can toggle on the switch and enter the address, but try actually making a call with it with Wi-Fi on and airplane mode on.
    Doesn't work on my TF branded (VZW) iPhones.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S21 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Don't forget that several markets have implemented E911 to help locate cell phones that dial 911. Problem is that it isn't fully deployed nationwide like the government was intending when they created the E911 system. Many taxing districts (city, county, state) used those fees/taxes for other projects instead. You will see the E911 fee attached to postpaid billing statements monthly as designed and allowed. Prepaid/MVNO providers bake it into their plans. It is not an optional fee.
    Just another day in paradise.....

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    The first thing a 911 operator will ask is, "what is your emergency?" After that they will ask for your location. They are only going to respond to the registered location if you can't speak.

This is not a big problem.
    What if you are trying to hide in the business or in someone's house due to an active issue? I have seen this issue on the news that people have to do this.

I have even seen that some places have texting 911 now, but it is not in place for every area tho.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tomseys View Post
    If this is a Tracfone branded phone running on Verizon, I don't think Wi-Fi calling is going to actually work.
    You can toggle on the switch and enter the address, but try actually making a call with it with Wi-Fi on and airplane mode on.
    Doesn't work on my TF branded (VZW) iPhones.
    Hate to say this, but how do you explain the WiFi calling icons on my A51. Even the A50 after an update has these same icons and settings, too.

The first photo is the calling with WiFi enable with airport mode on. The second photo is the setting.
    Name:  Screenshot_20210328-144454_Call.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  12.5 KB Name:  Screenshot_20210328-144609_Call settings.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  25.1 KB

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Hate to say this, but how do you explain the WiFi calling icons on my A51. Even the A50 after an update has these same icons and settings, too.

The first photo is the calling with WiFi enable with airport mode on. The second photo is the setting.

These are Tracfone branded phones (not ST or TW)? If so, first I've heard of it working.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    These are TF branded phones (not ST or TW)? If so, first I've heard of it.

If not, that's how I explain it.
    They are TF models, S515DL and S506DL. I am using Verizon based SIMs, and they are on Straight Talk plans.

The funny thing is I did not have WiFi calling till the OneUI 2.5 update hit for both phones which was S515DLUDU4BTK4 for the A51 and S506DLUDU8CUA2 for the A50. Before them, I did not have WiFi calling at all.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    They are TF models, S515DL and S506DL. I am using Verizon based SIMs, and they are on Straight Talk plans.

The funny thing is I did not have WiFi calling till the OneUI 2.5 update hit for both phones which was S515DLUDU4BTK4 for the A51 and S506DLUDU8CUA2 for the A50. Before them, I did not have WiFi calling at all.
    I think it works because you are using them with ST (in addition to getting the feature w/update).

I've haven't heard of a Tracfone branded phone activated with Tracfone Verizon service have working Wi-Fi calling yet.

I believe someone else with a TF phone activated the Wi-Fi calling initially with ST or TW by accident or something and then it worked with TF. If I recall correctly.

On my TF branded iphones using TF service the feature and settings are there. The feature became settable after a recent update. You can enter and reenter an emergency address. But that's as far as it goes as it doesn't actually work.

Would be nice to see it though.

Feedback Score
    What if you are trying to hide in the business or in someone's house due to an active issue? I have seen this issue on the news that people have to do this.

I have even seen that some places have texting 911 now, but it is not in place for every area tho.
    I've heard of those situations too. We could play What If all day. It is what it is. Until it gets better.

My state (Virginia) charges a flat 50 cent E911 fee on all prepaid service purchases. I have no idea how well E911 works to locate cellphone 911 calls.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    I think it works because you are using them with ST (in addition to getting the feature w/update).

I've haven't heard of a Tracfone branded phone activated with Tracfone Verizon service have working Wi-Fi calling yet.

I believe someone else with a TF phone activated the Wi-Fi calling initially with ST or TW by accident or something and then it worked with TF. If I recall correctly.

On my TF branded iphones using TF service the feature and settings are there. The feature became settable after a recent update. You can enter and reenter an emergency address. But that's as far as it goes as it doesn't actually work.

Would be nice to see it though.
    I remember seeing reports of some LG models, and unlocked G Power getting WiFi calling too.

Here are two posts that a little bit more info on WiFi calling with Verizon SIMs: https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...lling-Question and https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...Verizon-Towers

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast