Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Autopay or Airtime Cards?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    70
    Device(s)
    iPhoneSE 2020
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone
    Feedback Score
    0

    Autopay or Airtime Cards?

    There are many good reasons not to have cc information on various sites, yet I can imagine it's hard to match the autopay discount I noticed on some of the TF plans. TF has changed a lot since the last time I had a phone on the service and I'm not quite sure which way to go. Thoughts or experiences with autopay?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    3,934
    Feedback Score
    0
    Autopay used to be typical TF problematic, but I decided to give it another chance last year. I signed up for autopay 60 min / 90 day cards and it worked fine. It triggered a couple of days before the due date, so it wasn't down to the wire. I was just wanting to test it.

    I guess they are using a better vendor now.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    70
    Device(s)
    iPhoneSE 2020
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone
    Feedback Score
    0
    Thank you for this information. I'm debating whether to deal with the rewards program or just put it on autopay, so it's good to know it's not problematic these days.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    California Gold Country
    Posts
    7,957
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by touchofwhimsy View Post
    Thank you for this information. I'm debating whether to deal with the rewards program or just put it on autopay, so it's good to know it's not problematic these days.
    Keep in mind that some of the plans listed on the website are stating you only get 2 months discount with Auto-Refill. The ones with a "*" are limited like this.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    169
    Device(s)
    Flip phone, Samsung J3 on Tello
    Carrier(s)
    Tello, H2O, Page Plus, Tmobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    I use a Visa card with a $50 limit set for use with autopays. If they try to nick me for over that it bounces.
    Most of my autopays are under $10.
    I did notice that Page Plus adds a $1 service charge for credit card payments.
    I tried autopay with them and they wanted to refill every month instead of every 120 days.
    H2O does the autopays every 3 mo. with a $1 discount.
    I could use one of the phone card people, most of them are charging for autopay.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    In the country SW Michigan
    Posts
    191
    Device(s)
    LG Premier Pro Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone / Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    I have 3 phone I feed. My Daughter's Tracfone LG Journey, which I got her since she is out of work and finally got out from under the contracts payments of Verizon.. to never probably go back My wife's LG Rebel 4, and my LG Premier Pro Plus. ALL use those tracfone cards I buy at Walmart (or wherever) and give me 90 days of service. I love the fact that I buy them as needed when the service date is up. I notice that both my wife and daughter's phones triple the talk/text/data when I buy a card. So a 60 minute (90 day) card gives daughter 180 min, talk 180 texts and 180 MB data. She goes through a LOT more texts than data. My phone is good till 2060, so I just buy 500 minutes for $10.00 as needed. I buy 500 minute for my wife's phone once in a while. It all depends on how much she calls or gets calls. Some months it may only use about 20 minutes. Another month it may use 200 minutes,but at 2 cents a minutes, that is not bad for talk time. Wife's phone service is due in July of this year, so will buy her another cards before then. Daughter's is up in May.. . same thing. $20.00 every few months is not bad for phone service. (19.95 / 60 min. card + 90 days.)

    So when someone asks me how much my phone bill is, I say it's roughly $5.00 a month, and they can't beat that with their $60.00 / month plans. Grant it, they can make unlimited calls, but we just don't make that many calls anymore in a month.... and I can always use Google Voice and talk for free.
    I was born with nothing and have managed to keep most of it.
    When I was a kid rocks were soft and dirt was new.

    LG Rebel 4(current house phone) -> LG Premier Pro Plus(my pack along)

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    1,427
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by dfriz View Post
    I did notice that Page Plus adds a $1 service charge for credit card payments.......
    I tried autopay with them and they wanted to refill every month instead of every 120 days.
    I use a CC all the time on PP for my replenishments (PayGo), never a $1 charge. Where'd you see that ?
    Their 120 day PayGo plan $'s can also be used as a cash balance (for extra data, intl calls, etc, or use to make your monthly renewal) if you have a monthly plan. That's probably why it wanted to refill monthly. Just a guess.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    70
    Device(s)
    iPhoneSE 2020
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    Keep in mind that some of the plans listed on the website are stating you only get 2 months discount with Auto-Refill. The ones with a "*" are limited like this.
    Thank you!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    70
    Device(s)
    iPhoneSE 2020
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by dfriz View Post
    I use a Visa card with a $50 limit set for use with autopays. If they try to nick me for over that it bounces.
    Most of my autopays are under $10.
    I did notice that Page Plus adds a $1 service charge for credit card payments.
    I tried autopay with them and they wanted to refill every month instead of every 120 days.
    H2O does the autopays every 3 mo. with a $1 discount.
    I could use one of the phone card people, most of them are charging for autopay.
    Great idea!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    70
    Device(s)
    iPhoneSE 2020
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by vljenewein View Post

    So when someone asks me how much my phone bill is, I say it's roughly $5.00 a month, and they can't beat that with their $60.00 / month plans. Grant it, they can make unlimited calls, but we just don't make that many calls anymore in a month.... and I can always use Google Voice and talk for free.
    Personally, I much prefer the $5 phone bill. I have similar conversations with some family members. I probably use a bit more of everything than you do, so mine is not so low. Good job keeping the phone expenses so low. TF does offer some ways to be creative and save more.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    orchard country
    Posts
    22
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S3, Alcatel A205G, LG L125DL Classic Flip, Moto X4, Moto E5
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone (Verizon), Red Pocket (AT&T), PagePlus (Verizon), Tello (Sprint)
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by touchofwhimsy View Post
    Great idea!
    I like to use Pinzoo to refill Tracfone and PagePlus devices.


    Sent from my iPad using HoFo

  12. #12
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    BP subsidized Gulf Coast
    Posts
    7,227
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    0
    Buy airtime from Target using their red card and save 5%. Buy in-store or online and receive the PIN by e-mail.
    Some weeks they have a special percentage off airtime that stacks with the 5% red card discount.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    70
    Device(s)
    iPhoneSE 2020
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone
    Feedback Score
    0
    Thank you, Tracfancier. That sounds like the best way to go.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    California Gold Country
    Posts
    7,957
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracfancier View Post
    Buy airtime from Target using their red card and save 5%. Buy in-store or online and receive the PIN by e-mail.
    Is using a Target Red Card any more secure than any other online purchase? It is a PITA, as it draws from you bank account, and that has to be tracked. Not a big Target fan, and seldom buy from them. They dropped some items I used to buy online.

Similar Threads

  1. wtb rogers or telus airtime cards
    By powells29 in forum GSM phone Buy/Sell/Trade
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-17-2007, 08:22 PM
  2. FS: Fido Sim card + $50 worth or airtime
    By Mc_Claren_F1 in forum GSM phone Buy/Sell/Trade
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-11-2004, 08:26 AM
  3. FS: DTV system w/H or HU Card in GTA
    By XTwinTurbo in forum GSM phone Buy/Sell/Trade Archive
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-23-2002, 09:46 PM
  4. WTB: SD or MMC card! Will pay TODAY
    By mikew44 in forum GSM phone Buy/Sell/Trade Archive
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-19-2002, 11:32 AM
  5. Free customized airtime card!
    By Ezmoderator in forum TELUS/Koodo/Public Mobile
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-06-2001, 12:23 PM

Bookmarks