Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: TracFone Moto G Power Unlocking After 12 Months

Device(s)
    LY Stylo 2v
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone
    Feedback Score

TracFone Moto G Power Unlocking After 12 Months

Will the TracFone Moto G Power be unlocked for all networks including GSM after 12 months of service with TF?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NanaC View Post
    Will the TracFone Moto G Power be unlocked for all networks including GSM after 12 months of service with TF?
    They are not unlocked automatically. You have to request the unlock. If the phone came with service, that service has to be activated and active for a year in the phone it came with. Smartphone service requires some billable activity every six months to remain active.

In between six month activity you can probably use a different SIM in the phone.

When they are unlocked, they are unlocked for use with any carrier. The Moto G Power, when carrier unlocked, is compatible with all three US carriers and many foreign networks.

Device(s)
    LY Stylo 2v
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    They are not unlocked automatically. You have to request the unlock. If the phone came with service, that service has to be activated and active for a year in the phone it came with. Smartphone service requires some billable activity every six months to remain active.

In between six month activity you can probably use a different SIM in the phone.

When they are unlocked, they are unlocked for use with any carrier. The Moto G Power, when carrier unlocked, is compatible with all three US carriers and many foreign networks.
    Thank you, totally answered my question. Might want to use it with Cricket which runs on GSM after I ask for unlocking after 12 months.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NanaC View Post
    Thank you, totally answered my question. Might want to use it with Cricket which runs on GSM after I ask for unlocking after 12 months.
    I would expect it to work on Cricket. I got my HSN bundle Moto E5 unlocked after a year and have an AT&T based Freedompop SIM in it. It works. Being Freedompop, I have only been able to try it for data.

One caveat: You probably won't get VoLTE on Cricket and AT&T MVNOs. AT&T is stingy with allowing that except on their branded phones.

Device(s)
    LY Stylo 2v
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone
    Feedback Score
    One caveat: You probably won't get VoLTE on Cricket and AT&T MVNOs. AT&T is stingy with allowing that except on their branded phones.
    Thanks about the VoLTE info on Cricket, good to know.

Device(s)
    LG Q7+, LG Journey, LG Stylo 4+
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    I'm using an unlocked Essential PH-1 with a Cricket SIM. It has VoLTE. Screenshots show a call in progress and the voice connection is on LTE Band 17.

Name:  Essential-PH1-on-Cricket-1.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  40.9 KB

Name:  Essential-PH1-on-Cricket-3.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  22.9 KB

Name:  Essential-PH1-on-Cricket-4.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  23.2 KB

Device(s)
    LY Stylo 2v
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    I'm using an unlocked Essential PH-1 with a Cricket SIM. It has VoLTE. Screenshots show a call in progress and the voice connection is on LTE Band 17.

Name:  Essential-PH1-on-Cricket-1.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  40.9 KB

Name:  Essential-PH1-on-Cricket-3.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  22.9 KB

Name:  Essential-PH1-on-Cricket-4.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  23.2 KB
    Thanks...Good to know. AT&T gets a better signal at my house. Got my TracFone Moto G Power today so guess I'll have to live off Verizon towers for at least a year till it eligible to unlock.

Feedback Score
    I would expect it to work on Cricket. I got my HSN bundle Moto E5 unlocked after a year and have an AT&T based Freedompop SIM in it. It works. Being Freedompop, I have only been able to try it for data.

I have some hope for this. The last version I've seen of the AT&T list of phones supported for VoLTE does include several Tracfone DL models, mostly LG and Alcatel. No Tracfone Motos on the list yet, and AT&T doesn't seem to be in any hurry to add to the VoLTE eligible stable of Moto models in general.
    Not sure why that might be-- I've wondered if AT&T doesn't offer a lot of Moto models in their branded phones?
    My Tello referral code is P3BSR5HV, and gets both of us 10 Tello Dollars to pay for a plan.
    https://tello.com/account/register?_referral=P3BSR5HV

Device(s)
    LG phones, Motorola, ZTE, occasional Alcatel
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    There's an AT&T branded Moto g7 on the Walmart website. It was $79. for a long while but went up about $10 recently. I don't know if it's at Best Buy or Amazon.

One thing about buying from Walmart, quite a few reviews complain about the phones not being properly scanned at point of sale, making it impossible to activate the phone until that's rectified. If anyone buys any phone online make sure to keep the receipts to prove it was paid for.

Sent from my moto e5 (XT1920DL) using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    They are not unlocked automatically. You have to request the unlock.
    I have a TF branded Samsung Galaxy S7. A few weeks ago I went to unlock it, using the instructions on the TF website and it told me that it was already unlocked. So maybe they unlocked it automatically after 12 months?

I've unlocked some of my other TF phones, such as a TF branded LG Stylo 3 and I had to request to unlock and enter codes on the phone to do it.

Device(s)
    LG phones, Motorola, ZTE, occasional Alcatel
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    Could it be possible that some brands or models of TF are already unlocked?

Some service providers do sell unlocked phones for use on their network. TF generally doesn't, but maybe that was a batch of them that slipped through without being locked.

Very interesting.

Sent from my U307AS using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    LG Q7+, LG Journey, LG Stylo 4+
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by eohippus View Post
    I have a TF branded Samsung Galaxy S7. A few weeks ago I went to unlock it, using the instructions on the TF website and it told me that it was already unlocked. So maybe they unlocked it automatically after 12 months?

I've unlocked some of my other TF phones, such as a TF branded LG Stylo 3 and I had to request to unlock and enter codes on the phone to do it.
    Some phones can be unlocked over-the-air, and those are the ones that can be automatically unlocked by TF after 12 months. Other phones require the unlock code to be manually keyed in by the owner, and for those you'll have to obtain the code from TF.

Last year, I bought several LG phones from Sprint to do their sign-up deal. After 3 months, I contacted them to get the phone unlocked. The rep did something on their end, then told me to reboot the phone, and it became unlocked.

Device(s)
    Google Pixel 3a, Samsung A10e (active)
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    I have a Samsung A10e which, if I recall correctly, I purchased as a Straight Talk branded phone. The CSR successfully "rebranded" it to Tracfone and I am now using that service. This phone has been used with Tracfone service for well over a year.

I wasn't successful unlocking my phone online. The unlocking department CSR sent unlocking instructions (including a set of two codes), but I was unsuccessful in using #TFUNLOCK# to access the unlocking menu.

Could this be because my phone was rebranded? I'm hesitant to call CSR again because I'm worried tat my balances might be affected in the process.

Thanks!

Problem solved! I needed to use the native phone app.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitzer18 View Post
    I have a Samsung A10e which, if I recall correctly, I purchased as a Straight Talk branded phone. The CSR successfully "rebranded" it to Tracfone and I am now using that service. This phone has been used with Tracfone service for well over a year.

I wasn't successful unlocking my phone online. The unlocking department CSR sent unlocking instructions (including a set of two codes), but I was unsuccessful in using #TFUNLOCK# to access the unlocking menu.

Could this be because my phone was rebranded? I'm hesitant to call CSR again because I'm worried tat my balances might be affected in the process.

Thanks!

Problem solved! I needed to use the native phone app.
    Are you using Google Voice, or some other VoIP service that ties in to your native dialer? I do this, with my native dialer set to display my GV number. I sometimes have to change that in order to use dialer codes successfully from the native dialer.

Device(s)
    Google Pixel 3a, Samsung A10e (active)
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by greenhandle View Post
    Are you using Google Voice, or some other VoIP service that ties in to your native dialer? I do this, with my native dialer set to display my GV number. I sometimes have to change that in order to use dialer codes successfully from the native dialer.
    I do use Google Voice, but I don't (I don't think...) tie it in to the Google dialer app that I use for my regular Tracfone service calls. I use GV only occasionally if my Tracfone Verizon service is poor due to being in a remote location.

Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast