Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: T-mobile is shutting down its Tvision tv service

Feedback Score

T-mobile is shutting down its Tvision tv service

https://www.theverge.com/2021/3/29/2...own-youtube-tv

The Live, Live Plus, and Live Zone services that were available with TVision will go dark on April 29th.

Carrier(s)
    Sprint/T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Didn’t take too long. Live tv is a dying business, not sure why they wanted to get into it to begin with. At least they didn’t invest too much into it.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S21 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Kind of ironic because just today I noticed the online advertising for the feature and wondered why it said "no longer available" when I tried to download it for the first time.

I will have to disagree that live TV is a "dying business". I live in a market that is too far for OTA antennas and the only alternatives are Cable, Satellite and internet based TV services. However a large population still lives in range of OTA TV broadcasts. It is difficult finding local news broadcasts over the internet for some people.
    Just another day in paradise.....

Device(s)
    OnePlus 8 Pro
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I looked at this months ago and laughed. I don't blame them for shutting this down. The pricing was not of interest to us at all, so I forgot about it.

To me, the concept of "Packages of TV Channels," is starting to become absurd. People want to watch shows, not channels.

In what comes off as an attempt to sugarcoat a short-lived misstep, T-Mobile says its “TVision initiative was launched to give customers new choices and help millions cut the cord, while expanding appeal for the company’s forthcoming wireless home Internet service.” That doesn’t quite match the usual brazen “Uncarrier” tone that T-Mobile had back in October, when CEO Mike Sievert said “just like we changed wireless for good, now we’re gonna change TV for good.” At the time, T-Mobile said TVision Live was “a total game-changer for anyone who wants live news and sports.”
    "TV" has already been forever changed and streaming services are becoming like TV channels.

I'm glad to see TMo getting out of this space.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max Series 4 Apple Watch
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile US
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

T-Mobile is betting big on Google’s Android services: RCS, YouTube TV, Pixel, and more...

Google and T-Mobile are announcing a huge partnership today, with the carrier agreeing to showcase a suite of Google’s services on Android phones sold on the carrier’s network. The list includes officially supporting Google’s Android Messages (with RCS) app on all of T-Mobile’s Android phones, dropping T-Mobile’s own TV services for Google’s YouTube TV, showcasing Google One as the default backup service, and expanding support and sales of Google hardware like the Pixel.

T-Mobile and Google say the carrier has “the most Android smartphone customers in the US.” With this big partnership, those customers will have a phone that is more likely to showcase native Google services instead of less-well-supported services from the carrier or manufacturer.

https://www.theverge.com/2021/3/29/2...storage-backup

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Device(s)
    iPhone Xs Plus (64GB),Galaxy S9 (64GB
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Verizon(E-Sim)
    Feedback Score
    $55 for YTTV isn't a bad deal. Competes directly with Hulu and ,if you want live sports on Sling(ESPN, sports package), as well. Plus unlimited DVR which can't be beat. I've used YTTV before and that DVR was great to have. I recorded EVERYTHING on it. Has a 9 month shelf life per recording and if a particular recording airs again the storage counter starts again. I'll look into this come September when college football starts up again.
    Sim-Locked phones just flat out suck!

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max Series 4 Apple Watch
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile US
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    I’m an existing YTTV and YTP subscriber. Hopefully I’ll be able to get the discount through T-Mobile.

Feedback Score
    Some of the reports say that customers will get 3 months of YTTV free. I wonder if this is all customers, or only new customers?

YouTube TV is literally ready for prime time because it has CBS ABC NBC Fox. I keep seeing ads from Philo saying that it competes with YouTube TV. But it doesn't. It's very much an inferior incomplete service because it lacks these four networks, which are fundamental to a channel package.

Carrier(s)
    Sprint/T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Serial Port View Post
    Kind of ironic because just today I noticed the online advertising for the feature and wondered why it said "no longer available" when I tried to download it for the first time.

I will have to disagree that live TV is a "dying business". I live in a market that is too far for OTA antennas and the only alternatives are Cable, Satellite and internet based TV services. However a large population still lives in range of OTA TV broadcasts. It is difficult finding local news broadcasts over the internet for some people.
    This is a dying business though. All metrics show live tv ratings are declining at a higher rate than ever before. The main segment of the population that still watches live tv is the over 45 crowd who grew up with live and cable television as the main means of content consumption, and even that segment is starting to decline as even they are starting to see the overall benefits of streaming content. This is also a driving reason behind cable/satellite providers looking for other forms of revenue to replace dwindling tv numbers.

Carrier(s)
    Sprint/T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by @TheRealDanny View Post
    T-Mobile is betting big on Google’s Android services: RCS, YouTube TV, Pixel, and more...

Google and T-Mobile are announcing a huge partnership today, with the carrier agreeing to showcase a suite of Google’s services on Android phones sold on the carrier’s network. The list includes officially supporting Google’s Android Messages (with RCS) app on all of T-Mobile’s Android phones, dropping T-Mobile’s own TV services for Google’s YouTube TV, showcasing Google One as the default backup service, and expanding support and sales of Google hardware like the Pixel.

T-Mobile and Google say the carrier has “the most Android smartphone customers in the US.” With this big partnership, those customers will have a phone that is more likely to showcase native Google services instead of less-well-supported services from the carrier or manufacturer.

https://www.theverge.com/2021/3/29/2...storage-backup

Given googles penchant for only supporting services for a few years before dropping them, this could backfire easily. Expanding support for the pixel line of devices is pointless, nobody buys em. I know people like to say Android is the top o.s. In the world, but you have to look at what is selling in the u.s, it’s Samsung and apple. Yes, Samsung devices are technically android devices, but I would not call them google devices in the slightest bit. This isn’t going to change, Samsung is still going to be king of Android sales, and they don’t push google services on their devices, they push Samsung services. People don’t buy Samsung devices for google services, or a google experience, they buy them for the Samsung experience.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Theghostlad82 View Post
    ....Samsung is still going to be king of Android sales, and they don’t push google services on their devices, they push Samsung services. People don’t buy Samsung devices for google services, or a google experience, they buy them for the Samsung experience.
    I disagree. People buy Samsung devices for the Google experience. The Google experience is integral to Samsung devices (other than watches, but see below). The Google services are both pushed AND demanded by Samsung customers. Can you imagine the spectacular fast collapse of Samsung phones if they no longer ran Google services?

The Samsung-only part of the experience is rudimentary, disliked, and ignored whenever possible. Have you ever seen anyone have anything good to say about Touchwiz? No. The replacement "One UI" is barely tolerated.

This https://www.androidpolice.com/2020/0...and-im-fed-up/ is the Samsung experience. Who asked for this or wanted it?

I used Samsung phones for years. I saw the various aspects of the Samsung offered Samsung ecosystem fade and fail over the years: now, more than ever, the strength of the phone is the Google suite: the Google experience. And Samsung's attempts to replace this are regarded as interference and obstacles.

Like with Samsung's near universally despised skin on Android, another strongly evident aspect of the "Samsung experience" has been Samsung's Tizen OS on the watches. And now there are strong rumors that even this is giving way to Google, with the next Samsung watches to run on the Google watch US.
    Last edited by NotABiot; 03-30-2021 at 07:21 AM.

Feedback Score
    Also, I did a check, and I found several articles on replacing Samsung apps with stock Google apps. I found nothing going the other way... nothing indicating a desire by anyone to replace stock Google apps with Samsung apps. I am not surprised... is anyone?

https://android.gadgethacks.com/how-...pixel-0195236/

Where are the articles on turning your Pixel into a Samsung? Probably in the same place as you could find articles on how to make your Corvette more like a Chevette.

Carrier(s)
    Sprint/T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by NotABiot View Post
    Also, I did a check, and I found several articles on replacing Samsung apps with stock Google apps. I found nothing going the other way... nothing indicating a desire by anyone to replace stock Google apps with Samsung apps. I am not surprised... is anyone?

https://android.gadgethacks.com/how-...pixel-0195236/

Where are the articles on turning your Pixel into a Samsung? Probably in the same place as you could find articles on how to make your Corvette more like a Chevette.
    Your thinking as a tech user and not an average customer. A tech user wants to make their samsung device a “pixel”, the average customer doesnt. You’ll also find a ton of tech articles claiming the pixel is a fantastic device and a device the people should buy. How it’s better at this and that than any other Android device, even rivals the iPhone!!! Doesn’t work that way in the real world. People don’t buy them, people don’t buy Samsung devices for the google experience. They buy them because they are Samsung devices. People keep trying to push “pure Android” and the “google experience” as what people want, but those phones don’t sell and actual sales figures show this is a flat out lie. You claim one U.I. Is “despised”, by whom exactly? The millions upon millions who choose samsung devices everyday over a stock Android device? If T-Mobile’s plan is to just cater to the very small niche market of Android techies, this will fail, and fail fast. You always hear it “Android vs. iOS” as the top o.s. In the U.S., this isn’t completely accurate, it’s iOS vs one u.I. With Android with stock google services a distant 3rd. Since you also brought up wearables and tizen, are you really going to try to tell me wear o.s. Is the more desirable o.s.???
    Last edited by Theghostlad82; 03-30-2021 at 08:20 AM.

Feedback Score
    "Your" thinking as a tech user and not an average customer.

One UI is not an OS. Android is. The average customer doesn't even know the name of Touchwhiz (aka One UI)... but they DO know Android. That is what they choose, and they definitely choose Samsung devices for the well-known "Android experience" (as part of the completely accurately described "Android vs IOS" situation)

I also do not agree with the fanboyish assertion that it is actually a BAD idea for T-Mobile to offer more and better choices in phones.... which is really all this is about. The only thing that "fails fast" here is fanboyish fan loyalty, which sees it as somehow as a betrayal of Samsung and the user base's imaginary and specific demand for Touchwhiz for T-Mobile to dare to promote other phones alongside fanboy-darling Samsung.

The more Android phones the better. Come on in, the water's fine. Even if the pool is now filled by Samsung fanboy tears. The ship has already sailed: T-Mobile now carries 6 or so different phone brands. The addition of each of them was embraced by consumers and made business sense. Never "fail", never "fail fast". The top brass at T-Mobile know what they are doing, no matter how much armchair CEO's gnash their teeth.
    Last edited by NotABiot; 03-30-2021 at 03:08 PM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Falcon_73 View Post
    I looked at this months ago and laughed. I don't blame them for shutting this down. The pricing was not of interest to us at all, so I forgot about it.

To me, the concept of "Packages of TV Channels," is starting to become absurd. People want to watch shows, not channels.

"TV" has already been forever changed and streaming services are becoming like TV channels.

I'm glad to see TMo getting out of this space.
    It has been absurd since over the air TV became the minority. Media networks like cable TV are forced by the media content owners to buy packages of channels. The do not and will not sell channels a la carte to the media networks. Six mega media content conglomerates control 90% of the media channels - Comcast, Disney, AT&T Time Warner, News Corp, National Amusements, and Sony.

T-Mo had to play in this space just like the cable companies unless they only wanted to carry channels that hardly anyone wants to watch.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast