Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 35

Thread: Which high data AT&T or Verizon Prepaid Pla?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    316
    Feedback Score
    0

    Which high data AT&T or Verizon Prepaid Pla?

    In an area with poor T-Mobile and Sprint service, which plan is best as a substitute for home internet?
    Television will be be streamed most of the day from a single TV However, even 480P quality will be acceptable as long as itís stable and doesnít stutter and buffer. At 480P to 720P, I donít think a super massive amount of data would be required.
    So, maybe a completely unlimited plan isnít necessary. Would we be able to get away with plan with 30 GB per month or less?
    The rest of the data use would only be web browsing, email, WiFi calling and performing iOS updates and nightly iCloud backups.

    The Visible wireless plan seemed perfect on paper, but users say data deprioritization cutting the connection to dial up speeds often makes the data service useless.

    Are there other affordable prepaid services that are not necessarily fully unlimited like Visible, but where data deprioritization is much less of an issue?

    We donít even need full high speed 4G LTE speeds, but we want to have a lot of monthly data just fast enough to reliably stream 480p to 720p video so we can avoid having to pay for a satellite dish service for TV.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    SID 246
    Posts
    2,792
    Device(s)
    iPhone, OnePlus 8, iPhone 7 Plus (Car phone)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile PostPaid
    Feedback Score
    0
    Do you not have any internet providers? Like AT&T, Spectrum, Comcast? Cellular internet is a next step not first step.

    Steaming 480p or 720p all day long can use a good chunk of data. You would easily eat through 30GB a week for just 1 tv and nothing else


    iCloud backups and updates can also rack up tons of data usage.


    Sent from my KB2007 using Tapatalk
    Current Phone: AT&T XS Silver 256GB. T-Mobile / MetroPCS
    Android device : Galaxy S9 RedPocket Verizon

    I am no longer a U.S.Cellular User.
    Speedtest in Knox.TN EvDo Rev.A

    My Photography www.hunterspad.com

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    316
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by hyelton View Post
    Do you not have any internet providers? Like AT&T, Spectrum, Comcast? Cellular internet is a next step not first step.

    Steaming 480p or 720p all day long can use a good chunk of data. You would easily eat through 30GB a week for just 1 tv and nothing else


    iCloud backups and updates can also rack up tons of data usage.


    Sent from my KB2007 using Tapatalk
    Arenít there some cellular services that include some 480p video services through the phone that donít count towards your data limit? The phone could be connected to the TV with an HDMI adapter.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    SID 246
    Posts
    2,792
    Device(s)
    iPhone, OnePlus 8, iPhone 7 Plus (Car phone)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile PostPaid
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by web1b View Post
    Arenít there some cellular services that include some 480p video services through the phone that donít count towards your data limit? The phone could be connected to the TV with an HDMI adapter.
    It would use data. I don't think data from netflix gets counted on tmobile. But is on AT&T.

    I'm not 100% certain on what each carrier does as it's all different. But only a few video streaming services will be whitelisted. Not all of them. Like youtube etc will come out of your data.

    Sent from my KB2007 using Tapatalk

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    316
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by hyelton View Post
    It would use data. I don't think data from netflix gets counted on tmobile. But is on AT&T.

    I'm not 100% certain on what each carrier does as it's all different. But only a few video streaming services will be whitelisted. Not all of them. Like youtube etc will come out of your data.

    Sent from my KB2007 using Tapatalk
    Then we would need to find which carriers whitelist which video services. If we can just use those whitelisted services most of the day, then the rest of the data use wouldnít add up to much.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    SID 246
    Posts
    2,792
    Device(s)
    iPhone, OnePlus 8, iPhone 7 Plus (Car phone)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile PostPaid
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by web1b View Post
    Then we would need to find which carriers whitelist which video services. If we can just use those whitelisted services most of the day, then the rest of the data use wouldnít add up to much.
    What are you mostly going to be streaming?

    Are there no internet providers in your area? I'm some cases you would pay the same for unlimited internet through a internet provider as you would for just 30GB of data.

    If all of your video streaming is going to be done directly on the phone and not through hotspot you might could get by with a cheap cricket (att) or Metro plan (tmobile) assuming you get decent enough signal/speeds with them at the location

    Sent from my KB2007 using Tapatalk

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    316
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by hyelton View Post
    What are you mostly going to be streaming?

    Are there no internet providers in your area? I'm some cases you would pay the same for unlimited internet through a internet provider as you would for just 30GB of data.

    Sent from my KB2007 using Tapatalk
    The local internet service is $85 per month for the cheapest plan offered. DIRECTtv is around the same price after the new customer deals expire.
    The person living at that address is looking for a way to watch TV at home on a much smaller budget.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    1,427
    Feedback Score
    0
    IMHO, I would not use a cell phone for exclusive home internet and TV watching. Battery life/heat for one thing. Get a Hotspot device if wireless is your only option. Or all 3 carrier/networks have unlimited fixed wireless internet in some limited areas.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    316
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    IMHO, I would not use a cell phone for exclusive home internet and TV watching. Battery life/heat for one thing. Get a Hotspot device if wireless is your only option. Or all 3 carrier/networks have unlimited fixed wireless internet in some limited areas.
    No fixed wireless is available in the area.
    Obviously, the phone would be plugged in to power to charge and we would not be relying on battery power at home.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    SID 246
    Posts
    2,792
    Device(s)
    iPhone, OnePlus 8, iPhone 7 Plus (Car phone)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile PostPaid
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by web1b View Post
    No fixed wireless is available in the area.
    Obviously, the phone would be plugged in to power to charge and we would not be relying on battery power at home.
    Is the phone 100% going to be for that purpose? What theyíre meaning is doing that is going to degrade the battery on that phone.

    What isp is charging $85? Generally you canít go by current customer pricing, especially if itís an old plan. Unless itís sat internet then I could understand the reason for wanting to switch to cellular.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    316
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by hyelton View Post
    Is the phone 100% going to be for that purpose? What they’re meaning is doing that is going to degrade the battery on that phone.

    What isp is charging $85? Generally you can’t go by current customer pricing, especially if it’s an old plan. Unless it’s sat internet then I could understand the reason for wanting to switch to cellular.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yes, the phone would be used 100% as a hotspot. The plan was to get the cheapest phone that works as a hotspot and just keep it charging all day and night so it can be used as a hotspot so iOS devices can do iCloud backups and software updates. We would also would like to use it for streaming video of at least 480p.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    1,427
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by web1b View Post
    Yes, the phone would be used 100% as a hotspot. The plan was to get the cheapest phone that works as a hotspot and just keep it charging all day and night so it can be used as a hotspot so iOS devices can do iCloud backups and software updates. We would also would like to use it for streaming video of at least 480p.
    Even if it's plugged in all the time while you're using it it's going to get real hot and cause other issues. And as mentioned you'll be looking for a new battery more often then usual.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    316
    Feedback Score
    0
    Do any AT&T or Verizon MVNOs have an equivalent to T-Mobileís BINGE ON?
    We canít use BINGE ON because T-Mobile service is so weak at the location that a signal booster in the window didnít do much of anything to help reception when we tried it a couple years back.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    316
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    Even if it's plugged in all the time while you're using it it's going to get real hot and cause other issues. And as mentioned you'll be looking for a new battery more often then usual.
    Battery life will not be a concern. If the phone has a removable battery like the ZTE A3 and the phone works without a battery, we might just leave it out.
    I donít think a phone sim will function for this in a dedicated hotspot. The carrier might block it.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    SID 246
    Posts
    2,792
    Device(s)
    iPhone, OnePlus 8, iPhone 7 Plus (Car phone)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile PostPaid
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by web1b View Post
    Battery life will not be a concern. If the phone has a removable battery like the ZTE A3 and the phone works without a battery, we might just leave it out.
    I donít think a phone sim will function for this in a dedicated hotspot. The carrier might block it.
    Your best bet is gonna be Visible with the 5mbps cap. Otherwise itís just going to cost as much or more than the $85 ISP.

    T-Mobile has the 100GB plans for for $50 which is about the best but you said T-Mobile doesnít work well there. But thatís about as good as itís gonna get cellular data wise.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Looking to take over AT&T or Verizon unlimited Plan
    By JPL01 in forum Take over my phone plan
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-11-2013, 10:01 PM
  2. Nokia E71, do they work off of the At&t network or Verizons?
    By fourmyskull in forum Straight Talk
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 02-28-2011, 08:18 AM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-08-2007, 02:00 PM
  4. Which is faster at texting T9 or a Qwerty?
    By badboy8813 in forum Windows Mobile (Before 7)
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 05-22-2007, 12:24 PM
  5. Buy Mot Q at Best Buy or Verizon store?
    By dgardner in forum Windows Mobile (Before 7)
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-11-2006, 06:41 AM

Bookmarks