Thread: Esim activation

Feedback Score

Esim activation

What’s the current method for activation with eSim on AT&T prepaid? Searching for this brings up posts that are a year or more old.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    Last edited by overlock; 03-31-2021 at 02:13 PM.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S21 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I suggest that you contact your provider directly to confirm. What phone make/model to confirm it has an eSIM ?

For instance, I own a Samsung Galaxy S21 5G that has the necessary hardware, but my provider T-Mobile currently does not offer support for the use of the eSIM until June or July (speculated availability date).
    Just another day in paradise.....

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Serial Port View Post
    I suggest that you contact your provider directly to confirm. What phone make/model to confirm it has an eSIM ?

For instance, I own a Samsung Galaxy S21 5G that has the necessary hardware, but my provider T-Mobile currently does not offer support for the use of the eSIM until June or July (speculated availability date).
    AT&T prepaid and I’ve tried asking them but they have been unhelpful so far.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S21 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Are you trying to use the eSIM with another carrier ? If you are, you should contact the other carrier. If At&t cannot answer your question, it isn't supported by them yet, just like T-Mobile postpaid doesn't support my phone for the eSIM yet. You never identified the phone you are wanting to use.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Serial Port View Post
    Are you trying to use the eSIM with another carrier ? If you are, you should contact the other carrier. If At&t cannot answer your question, it isn't supported by them yet, just like T-Mobile postpaid doesn't support my phone for the eSIM yet. You never identified the phone you are wanting to use.
    I’m wanting to sign up for AT&T prepaid service using my iPhone SE 2020. I don’t want to use a physical SIM card. I would like to use the eSim on my device.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S21 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    It is likely that prepaid CS can't confirm when it will be available. If they can't answer your question then it is not yet available and they don't have training yet to activate it. You may have to use a regular SIM for now or wait until the eSIM can be used/activated.

Feedback Score
    I think what he is asking is how can you get esim right off the bat instead of getting a physical sim first. On that I don’t honestly know I don’t think you can place it online in the past the only experience I had was physically getting a SIM card then going to store to change it. If it changed some now I wouldn’t know how to do it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by punisherbv View Post
    I think what he is asking is how can you get esim right off the bat instead of getting a physical sim first. On that I don’t honestly know I don’t think you can place it online in the past the only experience I had was physically getting a SIM card then going to store to change it. If it changed some now I wouldn’t know how to do it.
    Exactly. I’m aware that it’s available. I was just asking if the process is more streamlined now. It seems nothing has changed in the past year. At&t customer service was no help.

Sent from my iPad using HoFo

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 12 Pro Max, Google Pixel 5
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Yeah unfortunately AT&T (Prepaid at least) has no incentive to streamline the process of acquiring eSIM. The only way to get it is by getting a physical SIM and swapping for eSIM in a store. It's ridiculous frankly, but the US carriers are constantly putting up roadblocks when it comes to eSIM. Verizon and T-Mobile are no better.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S21 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Never forget that eSIM is a fairly new technology in the US (European carriers have used eSIM for more than a few years on their devices). There are development/infrastructure costs to enable it in the US as adoption of international standards have always been behind more than a few years. Not really as simple as pressing a button or flipping a switch on the existing network. Give it time and it will be available for both postpaid and prepaid accounts and on all new phones. This is not a critical thing that needs to be resolved immediately. Cell phone technology is ever-evolving and has always been that way.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Don't waste your time talking to paygo customer service.

Some corporate store personnel will do this no problem, but finding them can be an adventure.

If all else fails go to an Apple store and request an eSIM activation card; they should give you one for free. Then you swap or activate the ICCID on your paygo account and then activate the eSIM ("plan") with your iPhone.