Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 54

Thread: Next Uncarrier Announcement: April 7th

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Posts
    459
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint/T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    Yes they have the only one with mmwave is the A42 which is why it's the only one between the A32, A42 and A52 Verizon will carry.

    Innovation for All: Samsung Introduces Galaxy A Series for the U.S - Samsung US Newsroom
    Odd specs for the devices. Weird they gave it to the 42 and not the 52, weird they gave the 32 a 90hz refresh rate and the 42 only 60hz, weird moves by Samsung.

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Los Angeles/Canada
    Posts
    12,465
    Device(s)
    One Plus 8 (T-Mobile), Samsung S10e (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Some of that, I suspect is due to Tmobile literally pumping the device, and ditching Qualcomm for MeditaTek. https://www.phonescoop.com/articles/article.php?a=22488

    Sent from my IN2017 using HoFo mobile app
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    7,421
    Device(s)
    iPhone 12 ProMax, OnePlus 8 5G
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by formercanuck View Post
    Some of this may be more important.
    Of course, I suspect that the free Tmobile 5g entry level Samsung is part to get Sprint and Tmobile non 5g users over to 5g to be able to sunset network and 2g/3g 'quicker'.
    Some of this goes hand in hand.

    Sent from my IN2017 using HoFo mobile app
    I'm fairly certain that's more what it is.. it's a carrot for those Sprint users hanging onto those 4-5yr old phones to finally just make the jump..

    I highly doubt many actual T-Mobile customers are on a 3G only device at this point, as most of those were AWS HSPA only.. and T-Mobile swapped everyone I knew holding onto the myTouch 4G into some Alcatel a while back.
    T-Mobile: Magenta Amplified (airline employee plan)
    AT$T: $50 Unlimited Elite Prepaid promo (for more “rural” areas)

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2,561
    Feedback Score
    0
    So does this "Free Upgrade To 5G" mean I can trade in a working phone and get the A32 without having to open a new line?

    I have 7 lines for my wife and I, and could use a few free phones as just hot spots in our cars, etc. to save on data for our KickBack lines. I am certainly not going to be giving up the free lines any time in the next 24 months, so that condition is easy to comply with. I'm on a taxes and fees included plan, and in Oregon so there is no sales tax due either. I suppose they will try and ding me for the assistance fee if I do the exchange in a brick & mortar though.

    Edited to add: It seems the trade in phone needs to be unlocked according to Reddit & T-Mobile. This is posted on their website. "Tax on pre-credit price due at sale. Limited-time offer; subject to change. Qualifying credit, service, & functioning trade-in without screen or water damage required. Customer must own trade in device and must be unlocked, not lost/stolen."
    Last edited by daleraver; 04-08-2021 at 08:32 AM.

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Posts
    459
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint/T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by formercanuck View Post
    Some of that, I suspect is due to Tmobile literally pumping the device, and ditching Qualcomm for MeditaTek. https://www.phonescoop.com/articles/article.php?a=22488

    Sent from my IN2017 using HoFo mobile app
    Yea but the 42 and 52 have Qualcomm chips. Samsung just oddly spec’d the devices. I get the 32 having an ips display with no mm support, it’s the cheapie of the bunch, but they gave it a 90hz refresh rate, why then give the 42 a 60hz refresh rate, it’s not like they are charging the same price for the 42 and had to cut corners, they are charging more for it. Then to give the 42 mm support but not the 52. They just spec’d these odd, and as I said they do charge different prices for them, so it’s not like you can choose 2 at the same price and decide what matters to you.

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    669
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Theghostlad82 View Post
    Odd specs for the devices. Weird they gave it to the 42 and not the 52, weird they gave the 32 a 90hz refresh rate and the 42 only 60hz, weird moves by Samsung.
    A42 5G is a verizon exclusive

    So likely verizon influenced the specs/design on this to hit s price point, so that they have a budget mmwave phone (even though MSRP $399 isn't really super budget, more like midrange)

    The 'free' a32 from tmobile was what I anticipated... Cheap budget phone that works on b71/n71, better coverage for a lot of users who don't even have a b71 capable phone.

    I bet tmobile got a huge volume deal with samsung, and will get a lot more aggressive (i.e. trying to give them a free phone) pushing existing users who are using a 5year phone

    Then tmobile can refarm spectrum for 5g

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2,561
    Feedback Score
    0
    Could the screen technology be a factor in the refresh rate? The A32 5G is TFT. Perhaps there is no up charge for 90hz on those screens.

    Anyhoo, I need to find 3 or so cheap trade in phones, and then hope somehow Costco gets involved in this, LOL.

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    3,075
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by daleraver View Post
    Could the screen technology be a factor in the refresh rate? The A32 5G is TFT. Perhaps there is no up charge for 90hz on those screens.

    Anyhoo, I need to find 3 or so cheap trade in phones, and then hope somehow Costco gets involved in this, LOL.
    It should be noted both the a32 and a42 are 1600X720p

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    US
    Posts
    178
    Device(s)
    Apple iPhone X, OnePlus Nord N10 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT and T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by brad15 View Post
    I'm fairly certain that's more what it is.. it's a carrot for those Sprint users hanging onto those 4-5yr old phones to finally just make the jump..

    I highly doubt many actual T-Mobile customers are on a 3G only device at this point, as most of those were AWS HSPA only.. and T-Mobile swapped everyone I knew holding onto the myTouch 4G into some Alcatel a while back.
    Maybe, but ...

    I am totally baffled as a legacy Sprint customer with older phones (non-B71 and no 5G).

    For those who do not know, all legacy Sprint customers are funneled off of T-Mo and onto Sprint’s website where is zero acknowledgment of these so-called new promotions.”

    I have chatted with Sprint customer service twice this week, including last night, since the announcement. There is nothing that they know about the promotions. In fact, I asked about the A32 and A52. The Sprint CSR said those are not available.

    It would be great if someone could help sort this out. Like I say, I am baffled and gradually getting a bit frustrated with the new T-Mo.

    TIA.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    77
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by gdrenick74 View Post
    Maybe, but ...

    I am totally baffled as a legacy Sprint customer with older phones (non-B71 and no 5G).

    For those who do not know, all legacy Sprint customers are funneled off of T-Mo and onto Sprint’s website where is zero acknowledgment of these so-called new promotions.”

    I have chatted with Sprint customer service twice this week, including last night, since the announcement. There is nothing that they know about the promotions. In fact, I asked about the A32 and A52. The Sprint CSR said those are not available.

    It would be great if someone could help sort this out. Like I say, I am baffled and gradually getting a bit frustrated with the new T-Mo.

    TIA.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    There was a start date of April 18th mentioned.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  11. #41
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    US
    Posts
    178
    Device(s)
    Apple iPhone X, OnePlus Nord N10 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT and T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Thanks. I missed that date.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

  12. #42
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    BTA-44: MTA-29: MSA-41: PEA-40: CMA-41: BEA-78: MEA-24
    Posts
    5,849
    Device(s)
    Galaxy S21 Ultra, Galaxy S10+, Galaxy S8, LG K7, iPhone 6S, iPhone 6, iPhone 4S, iPhone 4, iPhone 3G
    Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    0
    I've noticed that with my phone, it will show 5G (the icon shows next to the signal bars) but the phone is actually connect to LTE. Why is that??
    Quote Originally Posted by Falcon_73 View Post
    Time will tell, but it's mostly marketing right now. In general, things have improved a bit, but I don't think 5G has much to do with it yet. It's like a better video encoding standard for video, but how many people are still watching standard def and when will HD really look like HD? Maybe when 4k catches on.

    Having been on 5G/NR, with mostly NSA since December, there are still too few n71 sites and much more importantly, n41 sites for NR to matter just yet.

    Something else I will add is that my phone shows the 5G icon when there's an anchor LTE site available, regardless of whether it's even connected to NR (and it almost never is... and may not even be in range). That's my biggest disappointment so far with "5G," and how is the average consumer going to know they really are using NR? My phone shows 5G a lot when there's no hope of getting anything from even an n71 site. Relatively few LTE sites in my area can't be anchors yet.
    Sent from my SM-G998U1 using HoFo mobile app
    AT&T Unlimited Elite & Unlimited Starter
    HBOMAX

    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

  13. #43
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    US
    Posts
    178
    Device(s)
    Apple iPhone X, OnePlus Nord N10 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT and T
    Feedback Score
    0

    Next Uncarrier Announcement: April 7th

    Quote Originally Posted by paperwastage View Post
    ...The 'free' a32 from tmobile was what I anticipated... Cheap budget phone that works on b71/n71, better coverage for a lot of users who don't even have a b71 capable phone. ...

    Then tmobile can refarm spectrum for 5g
    Does T-Mo Home Internet currently and primarily rely on B71/N71?

    Per T-Mo Home’s eligibility tester, my address is not currently eligible. Per Cellmapper, there is only one tower nearby (but 3 miles away) that has B71.

    Is there a correlation between lack of eligibility on B71/N71 for T-Mo Home and the likelihood that a new phone, that supports B71/N71 like the A32, will not be anymore useable than my current, older phone that does not support B71?

    Jumping to a new T-Mo phone prematurely in the rural / fringe area still feels like a bad idea.

    I do want to upgrade - just not prematurely as I would have five iPhones to upgrade, preferably iPhone 12S/13 (whichever it may be called).



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

  14. #44
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Los Angeles/Canada
    Posts
    12,465
    Device(s)
    One Plus 8 (T-Mobile), Samsung S10e (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Not sure. Per cell mapper, there are 3 n71/B71 +n41/B41 close to my house... 0.6 miles, 1.07 miles and 1.17 miles. I actually pick up n71 from the site 1.07 miles often. The closest site is B2/B4/B12 only at 0.25 miles

    Sent from my IN2017 using HoFo mobile app

  15. #45
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    669
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by shortyd999 View Post
    I've noticed that with my phone, it will show 5G (the icon shows next to the signal bars) but the phone is actually connect to LTE. Why is that??

    Sent from my SM-G998U1 using HoFo mobile app
    Upperlayer indicator. unfortunate that they decide to do that

    https://www.telecomhall.net/t/5g-ico...ge-area/9503/4

    if you have modem debug mode to check (or sometimes cellmapper/netmonster is accurate enough)
    https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...5#post17159665

    Quote Originally Posted by gdrenick74 View Post
    Does T-Mo Home Internet currently and primarily rely on B71/N71?

    Per T-Mo Home’s eligibility tester, my address is not currently eligible. Per Cellmapper, there is only one tower nearby (but 3 miles away) that has B71.

    Is there a correlation between lack of eligibility on B71/N71 for T-Mo Home and the likelihood that a new phone, that supports B71/N71 like the A32, will not be anymore useable than my current, older phone that does not support B71?
    t-mobile limits Home signups based on address probably for load-balancing (since you're supposed to use Home internet only at that location). one location supports only limited # of subscribers (having b71/n71 definitely limits it)

    tmobile may also choose not to serve the location for various reasons (they have limitd 5G routers to send out, rather target specific rural areas over others)

    no real way to know until you get a b71 phone to test.

    https://www.tmonews.com/2021/04/ipho...upgrade-offer/
    tmobile currently offers 50% off iphone 12 mini after trade-in of any older iphone model. try one, whoever wants a smaller iPhone (no 3.5mm though)
    Last edited by paperwastage; 04-10-2021 at 08:07 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Your Daily News Round-up for Tuesday, April 7th, 2015
    By acurrie in forum General Mobile Questions and Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-07-2015, 03:20 PM
  2. Your Daily News Round-up for Monday, April 7th, 2014
    By acurrie in forum General Mobile Questions and Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-07-2014, 04:13 PM
  3. Replies: 54
    Last Post: 08-28-2007, 03:45 AM
  4. WTB: S700i tomorrow, Thursday April 7th
    By King_of_ROM in forum GSM phone Buy/Sell/Trade
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-06-2005, 08:44 PM
  5. Replies: 24
    Last Post: 04-10-2002, 07:20 PM

Bookmarks