Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: No more SIM swapping between phones on PagePlus ...

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    2,055
    Carrier(s)
    US Mobile (this month anyway)
    Feedback Score
    0

    No more SIM swapping between phones on PagePlus ...

    ... and probably all the Tracfone MVNOs. Here's a transcript of a recent chat with a PagePlus customer service representative:

    Jose : Thank you for visiting Page Plus today. How may I help you?
    You : I want to use a different phone. It is compatible so can I simply remove the SIM card and put it in the new phone?
    Jose : Thank you for visiting Page Plus Cellular.
    Jose : Hi Customer.
    You : Hello.
    Jose : The SIM are married to each phone.
    Jose : If you changed phone you need to change the SIM.
    You : So do I need a new SIM card?
    Jose : Yes.
    You : OK, thank you.

    I already suspected this from what I've read here on HoFo, but I'm sure that in the past I was able to swap SIM cards between phones. Maybe that was before PP became part of the América Móvil conglomerate.
    Since I started using a GPS I really miss the old-fashioned road maps. I always enjoyed folding them up correctly.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    417
    Feedback Score
    0
    That is or seems disappointing. I believed that if get a new phone, should be able to remove SIM from old phone and put into new phone, and PPC system would catch-up to what is newly being used. PPC uses Verizon, maybe this is the reason (not sure why) that one cannot just put current SIM into the new phone. I wonder just what a customer will need to do to use the new phone with customer's existing phone number.

    We might expect that we can remove SIM and put into new phone, if on GSM network, but PPC uses Verizon so is not for GSM.

    I already had some trouble with Tracfone a few years ago when service on my device at that time stopped, and I went throug processes by telephone customer support, and new SIM after new SIM failed for getting my cell service back. So far with my current PPC service on the ~1 year old device, I am lucky. I do not really like the device I use with PPC ( a basic clamshell flip-phone) and I might want to get a new basic device, but I would be afraid of going through routines using c.s. of PPC remotely to get a new SIM working for a new flip-phone.

    Is this trouble or possible new trouble part of Tracfone taking over more and more at PPC (which is a Tracfone owned company)?

    ( I do not even like to call by telephone to get advice or tech help from Page Plus Cellular - and their CHAT system has not been operating lately, at least if you want to chat with an agent.)

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    1,427
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Relztrah View Post
    ... and probably all the Tracfone MVNOs. Here's a transcript of a recent chat with a PagePlus customer service representative:

    Jose : Thank you for visiting Page Plus today. How may I help you?
    You : I want to use a different phone. It is compatible so can I simply remove the SIM card and put it in the new phone?
    Jose : Thank you for visiting Page Plus Cellular.
    Jose : Hi Customer.
    You : Hello.
    Jose : The SIM are married to each phone.
    Jose : If you changed phone you need to change the SIM.
    You : So do I need a new SIM card?
    Jose : Yes.
    You : OK, thank you.

    I already suspected this from what I've read here on HoFo, but I'm sure that in the past I was able to swap SIM cards between phones. Maybe that was before PP became part of the América Móvil conglomerate.

    Was this the only CSR you talked to? In the many years I've been with PagePlus even after America Movil (TF) bought them they were the only TF company that allowed sim swapping with their system doing an auto imei/sim re-pairing (marrying). I confirmed the process many times with them and it always worked. I haven't reconfirmed recently. Maybe they did change but many CSRs with PP are trying to sell you something or really don't know the process. You can never go by what just one CSR tells you. Try another CSR; I'll do the same since it's been awhile since my last confirmed swap.
    Even with other TF companies you don't need a new sim with a new phone but you do need to (should) contact them to have the re-pairing done (new phone/same sim) since they don't have the auto update process. That alone makes me suspicious that you may have chatted with a bad CSR. But maybe they did change things.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    417
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    Was this the only CSR you talked to? In the many years I've been with PagePlus even after America Movil (TF) bought them they were the only TF company that allowed sim swapping with their system doing an auto imei/sim re-pairing (marrying). I confirmed the process many times with them and it always worked. I haven't reconfirmed recently. Maybe they did change but many CSRs with PP are trying to sell you something or really don't know the process. You can never go by what just one CSR tells you. Try another CSR; I'll do the same since it's been awhile since my last confirmed swap.
    Even with other TF companies you don't need a new sim with a new phone but you do need to (should) contact them to have the re-pairing done (new phone/same sim) since they don't have the auto update process. That alone makes me suspicious that you may have chatted with a bad CSR. But maybe they did change things.
    The customer service person on the phone/telephone call to page plus cellular always sounded like the same person, every time that I called.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    West Central Iowa
    Posts
    1,318
    Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    0
    From what I have seen with other Tracfone brands mainly Straight Talk and Total Wireless, one CSR might have different answers from another CSR.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    14,310
    Feedback Score
    0
    I think it would be best to get multiple reports of the same thing before we believe CSR Jose that there's actually been a change to the way PPC operates.

    However, it's possible the PPC system has finally been fully converted to be like the other TF systems. But like I said, I think we need to wait for more reports.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    2,055
    Carrier(s)
    US Mobile (this month anyway)
    Feedback Score
    0
    When my current month with US Mobile runs out I'm going to put the PP SIM card in my phone and see if it works despite what the customer service representative told me. My phone is Verizon branded so I know it's compatible.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    1,427
    Feedback Score
    0
    Just got out of chat:

    You: Can I still just swap my sim to a compatible new phone and your system will automatically change the imei/sim info ?
    Arlene: Thank you for visiting Page Plus Cellular.
    Arlene: Hi Rip.
    You: hi
    Arlene: Yes, it will automatically changed in the system. Make sure the phone is compatible.
    You: ok so just put the sim into the new phone and the phone number and balance will be ok and the new imei will be paired with the sim?
    Arlene: Yes.
    You: Thank you
    Arlene: You're welcome.

    As I said, never go by what one CSR tells you if it contradicts what you know to be true. Also, Arlene or Jose today may not be the same Arlene or Jose tomorrow. That's not their daily or real name.
    Last edited by rpz1; 04-01-2021 at 11:58 AM.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    14,310
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    Just got out of chat:

    You: Can I still just swap my sim to a compatible new phone and your system will automatically change the imei/sim info ?
    Arlene: Thank you for visiting Page Plus Cellular.
    Arlene: Hi Rip.
    You: hi
    Arlene: Yes, it will automatically changed in the system. Make sure the phone is compatible.
    You: ok so just put the sim into the new phone and the phone number and balance will be ok and the new imei will be paired with the sim?
    Arlene: Yes.
    You: Thank you
    Arlene: You're welcome.

    As I said, never go by what one CSR tells you if it contradicts what you know to be true. Also, Arlene or Jose today may not be the same Arlene or Jose tomorrow. That's not their daily real name.
    Yup! Exactly!

    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    I think it would be best to get multiple reports of the same thing before we believe CSR Jose that there's actually been a change to the way PPC operates.

    However, it's possible the PPC system has finally been fully converted to be like the other TF systems. But like I said, I think we need to wait for more reports.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Southwest Michigan, USA
    Posts
    3,817
    Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); LG Fiesta 2 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    0
    Just as we should have expected! The previous rep was stuck on support rules for TF, no doubt.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    1,427
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by whacker View Post
    .....................The previous rep was stuck on support rules for TF, no doubt.
    Another good point. I think all or most of the TF companies CSRs work in the same call center. They mostly do TF, Net10, Tw, PPC etc. but some days may come into work and be assigned to take an other company brand inquiries and they're not totally familiar with the differences.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    417
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    Another good point. I think all or most of the TF companies CSRs work in the same call center. They mostly do TF, Net10, Tw, PPC etc. but some days may come into work and be assigned to take an other company brand inquiries and they're not totally familiar with the differences.
    I said earlier but may have not said correctly, that when I called a few times on telephone to speak witch representatives at Page Plus Cellular, the customer service representative always sounded like THE SAME person, and also THE SAME PERSON as I heard when I called to customer service of Tracfone. This would not be too much different from what @rpz1 said in post #11.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    California Gold Country
    Posts
    7,957
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by joseg2016 View Post
    I believed that if get a new phone, should be able to remove SIM from old phone and put into new phone, and PPC system would catch-up to what is newly being used. PPC uses Verizon, maybe this is the reason (not sure why) that one cannot just put current SIM into the new phone. I wonder just what a customer will need to do to use the new phone with customer's existing phone number.
    For the last few years, the PPC CS reps often told you to just swap the SIM to a new phone, instead of doing an "ESN change" to a new SIM. Retail dealers always do this, as it's less work. The IMEI and SIM will pair in their system. With the other TF companies, that re-pairing may not happen. Not sure why PPC is unique in this way.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    2,055
    Carrier(s)
    US Mobile (this month anyway)
    Feedback Score
    0

    The results are in!

    And in fact, yes, to nobody's surprise my PagePlus SIM card works perfectly in another phone. I already had TRACFONE.VZWENTP as the APN profile on this phone from my US Mobile Super LTE SIM card, so I didn't have to create a new APN profile.

    So obviously in the case of PP the SIM card is not married to the IMEI as many of you have confirmed. This is a distinct advantage that PP has over the other Tracfone MVNOs if indeed they don't have this SIM swapping option. Granted, you can get Tracfone SIM cards for a buck on eBay. But the inconvenience of having to purchase one and then contact customer service makes PP more attractive if you want to change phones.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    1,427
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Relztrah View Post
    And in fact, yes, to nobody's surprise my PagePlus SIM card works perfectly in another phone. I already had TRACFONE.VZWENTP as the APN profile on this phone from my US Mobile Super LTE SIM card, so I didn't have to create a new APN profile.

    So obviously in the case of PP the SIM card is not married to the IMEI as many of you have confirmed. This is a distinct advantage that PP has over the other Tracfone MVNOs if indeed they don't have this SIM swapping option. Granted, you can get Tracfone SIM cards for a buck on eBay. But the inconvenience of having to purchase one and then contact customer service makes PP more attractive if you want to change phones.
    You're missing the point. YES your sim "was" married to your old phone. But unlike the other TF companies PP automatically divorces and re-marrys your sim to the new phone after you do the swap and use the new phone. Your sim is now married to the new phone. Same thing that would happen if you called TF and they'd do it manually. You wouldn't need to buy a new sim.
    It is certainly an advantage being automatic but don't think you could stick another Vzw carrier sim in your phone and have it activated without a port, because your phones already married to a Vzw carrier (PP).

Similar Threads

  1. Sim swap between phones blocks the phone?
    By mnewber in forum Straight Talk
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-09-2013, 01:57 PM
  2. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-09-2012, 12:51 AM
  3. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 09-19-2008, 09:46 AM
  4. No more ATTWS plans or phones on Amazon
    By i_mobile in forum AT&T
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-31-2005, 04:06 PM
  5. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 04-24-2003, 09:26 PM

Bookmarks