Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: TF Moto G Power Global or LTE/CDMA

Device(s)
    LY Stylo 2v
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone
    Feedback Score

TF Moto G Power Global or LTE/CDMA

Factory set to Global right now, but signal isn't that good in every room of my house. When I go to a room where its not so good it switches from LTE to 3G. Should I leave it on Global or try LTE/CDMA to see if its any better?

Feedback Score
    No harm in trying LTE/CDMA, but doubt it will make a difference.

Device(s)
    LG Q7+, LG Journey, LG Stylo 4+
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NanaC View Post
    When I go to a room where its not so good it switches from LTE to 3G.
    Using 3G means no VoLTE (no HD Voice, no Data available when a call is in progress). When Verizon drops support for 3G (the latest news says at the end of 2022), it also means no calls.

Device(s)
    LY Stylo 2v
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    Using 3G means no VoLTE (no HD Voice, no Data available when a call is in progress). When Verizon drops support for 3G (the latest news says at the end of 2022), it also means no calls.
    Thank you. Guess that means I'll be getting another new phone for Christmas that runs off AT&T towers if Verizon doesn't bump up signal for LTE.

I don't understand how the 3 major carriers are investing so much in 5G when 4G LTE doesn't get good signal everywhere. You'd think they would work on complete coverage for it first.

Device(s)
    LY Stylo 2v
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    No harm in trying LTE/CDMA, but doubt it will make a difference.
    Thank you. Just looked at setting on my LG V30 ThinQ that I retired for the Moto G Power. It was running on Global also and did the same thing. Was hoping Motorola had a better antenna than LG...Maybe not.

I do like HD voice so I'll just leave it alone.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Thank you. Guess that means I'll be getting another new phone for Christmas that runs off AT&T towers if Verizon doesn't bump up signal for LTE.
    Let's hope that by the time Verizon drops 3G that they will have improved the 4G/LTE coverage for your area (and everywhere else).

Feedback Score
    ............................... When I go to a room where its not so good it switches from LTE to 3G. ................................
    Is this a more recent occurrence or always been happening ?

I ask because for me I always had a solid LTE signal and VoLTE. I live in a fringe area. When Verizon turned on their nationwide 5G a couple months back, I now drop to 3G sometime. After a little while it must find the LTE signal again and goes back, usually band 5. When it's stuck on 3G and I restart the phone it'll be in LTE.
    Did they stretch the capacity of LTE in some areas when they started sharing band 5 with 5G?
    As @hpham says, I hope they get their act together before they turn off 3G. Maybe this lack of capacity is part of the reason for the delay.

Feedback Score
    ....................... When Verizon drops support for 3G (the latest news says at the end of 2022),....
    You mean I gave up a couple great 3G phones 2 years early ! bummer.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    You mean I gave up a couple great 3G phones 2 years early ! bummer.
    Either Verizon overestimated their readiness to drop 3G or underestimated their customers' resistance to having to buy new phones.

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); LG Fiesta 2 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    It's possible that the tower/cell site that serves you doesn't have a functioning portion of service on their 700 MHz band (called Band 13). That one gets a little further reach with LTE than their other bands (probably about equal to 850 MHz Band 5, where the 1x/3G signal is that you can pickup).

Device(s)
    LY Stylo 2v
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    Is this a more recent occurrence or always been happening ?

I ask because for me I always had a solid LTE signal and VoLTE. I live in a fringe area. When Verizon turned on their nationwide 5G a couple months back, I now drop to 3G sometime. After a little while it must find the LTE signal again and goes back, usually band 5. When it's stuck on 3G and I restart the phone it'll be in LTE.
    Did they stretch the capacity of LTE in some areas when they started sharing band 5 with 5G?
    As @hpham says, I hope they get their act together before they turn off 3G. Maybe this lack of capacity is part of the reason for the delay.
    This has been going on for about a year now. Used to get good signal in all rooms of the house. My husband has always had Verizon and since he had such good signal I switched from Cricket to TF/VZW cause its cheaper.
    I wish now I had spent the extra money and got the unlocked Moto G Power so I could have used a TF/AT&T sim.

You can go about 3 miles up the road and get full signal for Verizon.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by whacker View Post
    It's possible that the tower/cell site that serves you doesn't have a functioning portion of service on their 700 MHz band (called Band 13). That one gets a little further reach with LTE than their other bands (probably about equal to 850 MHz Band 5, where the 1x/3G signal is that you can pickup).
    Yes, In my fringe area before I started dropping to 1x/3G I'd usually be on band 13. Now mainly band 5 on LTE. Now I rarely see B13 since the drop to 3G issue started. (sometime B2 or 4)

Feedback Score
    ....You can go about 3 miles up the road and get full signal for Verizon.
    Same here. Unfortunately ATT or TM isn't a reliable option here.

Feedback Score
    last i heard is that Verizon is pausing 3G shutdown indefinitely - https://www.theverge.com/2021/1/5/22...ork-old-phones

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I wish now I had spent the extra money and got the unlocked Moto G Power so I could have used a TF/AT&T sim.
    If you are willing to give up the possibility of unlocking the phone after a year, you can transfer service to a byop tf/att SIM and just put it in the G power.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast