Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: LG Xpression Plus does not ring if screen is off

Feedback Score

LG Xpression Plus does not ring if screen is off

LG Xpression Plus (different color of Phoenix Plus) should have been a popular phone. You are not alone if it does not ring when the screen is off.

It used to ring back in October 2020:
    https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...-to-Voice-quot

Google has since changed its incoming call mechanism to use Android's app notification interface. Problems:
    1. Does not ring when the screen is off as already noted.
    2. If you do not change anything, it does use the system ringtone (when the screen is on). But after selecting a notification sound, you cannot select a ringtone again, because LG Xpression Plus does not have an "Advanced" menu.

One'd expect a phone app to at least do the basics, like at least ring on incoming calls. My current work around is to put a $10/year T-Mobile Nokia 6030 next to the LG Xpression Plus. When the Nokia 6030 rings, answer on the LG Xpression Plus. Sad but true that 2006 technology works better than Google's latest in 2021.

Otherwise:
    • Google Voice still always vibrates on incoming calls (does not respect system Settings > Sound) for pre-7.0 phones.
    • Incoming call popup (when the screen is off) still jumps up and down for 7.0 or earlier phones.

LG Xpression Plus (9.0)
    • No ring (and does not vibrate) if screen is off.
    • Does not vibrate if screen is on (respects Settings > Sound). Good.
    • Incoming call popup does not jump up and down if screen is off. Good.
    • Under App notifications > Other: Incoming call, leave as Default notification sound (it's actually ringtone).

LG Phoenix 2 (7.0)
    • Does not vibrate (respects Settings > Sound). Good.
    • Incoming call popup jumps up and down if screen is off.

LG Risio (6.0)
    • Always vibrates (does not respects Settings > Sound).

Moto G (5.1)
    • Always vibrates (does not respects Settings > Sound).

Feedback Score
    I have two LG Premier pro plus and both of them does not ring when the screen is off.

Feedback Score
    Google has definitely made the notification settings for the GV app more complicated than it used to be, or than it was in Hangouts!

Regarding a phone not ringing, have you turned off any battery optimizations or data savings for the GV app?

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the suggestions. I had tried battery optimizations before, no difference.

Battery > Background restrictions was off (default)
    > Power saving exclusions from off to on (so excluded from power saving features)

When I just tried it again, the first two incoming calls did not even come through (i.e., not even incoming call popup).
    I then opened Google Voice (which showed missed calls) and settings all looked good.
    The third incoming call came through (showed incoming call popup), but still no ring.

Then I added (even though the phone was on Wi-Fi):
    Data usage > Unrestricted data usage from off to on
    The fourth incoming call came through, but still no ring.

I turned screen on.
    The fifth incoming call came through, and rang correctly.

Brilliant Google engineering.

I also think/agree that Google way over-engineered notification. LG Phoenix 2 running 7.0 (before the over-engineering) now works the best.

(By the way, the battery of all my LG phones swelled after 2+ years. April 1 was a bad day: In addition to news about Hangouts and Freedompop, I realized that the battery of the LG Xpression Plus had swelled. When the LG Phoenix 2 battery swelled, it actually affected the screen, but I could buy a replacement battery (although it does not seem to hold a lot of charge). Unfortunately the LG Xpression Plus has a built-in battery. Meanwhile, the Moto G battery still has not swelled yet.)
    Last edited by andyk88; 04-03-2021 at 04:18 PM.

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Does LG use some sort of proprietary battery/power management in addition to standard android power management? Perhaps that's whats killing the app?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by LCSJL View Post
    I have two LG Premier pro plus and both of them does not ring when the screen is off.
    Thanks. It's good to confirm that I am not alone.

Quote Originally Posted by GPz1100 View Post
    Does LG use some sort of proprietary battery/power management in addition to standard android power management? Perhaps that's whats killing the app?
    Hmm... I haven't suspected that. Maybe more people will provide more data points. I don't know.

It feels like a lot people know Google puts out **** these days, and/or people had repeatedly complained but Google still insisted on putting out **** with the same "features"/never-fixed-bugs, so now people merely reminisce among themselves if that.
    Last edited by andyk88; 04-03-2021 at 01:30 PM.

Feedback Score
    Regarding the LG Phoenix 2 battery, I experienced the same with mine. The battery swelled, and it pushed the screen out at the edge. Luckily, the screen went back and seems fine with the replacement battery. The battery I ordered around 8 months ago appeared to be identical to the factory battery, but wouldn't seat fully. I told the seller, and they seemed to know that it was an issue, and sent me another, which also appeared identical, but seated like it should, and it has been very good as far as lasting per charge and while the phone is off.

Feedback Score
    At first I thought it had to do with Android 9, but when I updated to 10 it had the same issue. My old LG phone with Android 7 still rings.

Feedback Score
    I just went through my still-occasionally-used Android devices, uninstalled Hangouts, updated the GV app, made sure the settings were all correct on all of them for my 3 GV accounts, and when called, the GV consistently app rings on all of them, in addition to my computer.

DEVICE (ANDROID)
    Pixel 3a XL (11)
    Blu Vivo XI (8)
    Moto E4 XT1768 (7)
    LG Phoenix 2 (7)
    LG G Pad F 8.0 V495 (6)

It's kind of interesting watching 5 Android devices and 1 computer lined up on the couch all start ringing at at the same time when I call my GV # from my wife's phone.

For some reason, my wife just looks at me and shakes her head...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by LCSJL View Post
    At first I thought it had to do with Android 9, but when I updated to 10 it had the same issue. My old LG phone with Android 7 still rings.
    Thanks, it's good to know that Android 10 would not help anyway, because the LG Xpression Plus is stuck on Android 9.

Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    I just went through my still-occasionally-used Android devices, uninstalled Hangouts, updated the GV app, made sure the settings were all correct on all of them for my 3 GV accounts, and when called, the GV consistently app rings on all of them, in addition to my computer.
    Thanks, I assume they all rang when the screen was off. If so, something is up with LG running Android 9 and 10 at least.

Feedback Score
    Yes, the screens were all off and had been sitting for a few minutes between each test call.

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by andyk88 View Post
    FWIW, notifications on android 8/9/10/11 are completely redesigned/different from android 7. In newer versions they've become very granular. Possible the wrong notification is set for ringing?

Feedback Score
    Well, it rings fine when the screen is on.

I have tried to set screen lock to either None or PIN. No difference. I cannot think of anything that LG does differently when the screen is off.

This is what I see under App notifications > Incoming call:

Name:  Screenshot_20210403-205641.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  31.4 KB

It says "Default notification sound" and "Sound with vibration" is on. But it does use what's in system Settings > Sound (the correct ringtone and "Ring with vibration" off), when the screen is on.

If I tap on "Default notification sound", I can see all the notification sounds, but none of the ringtones. But if I then tap on + on top right, I can select an MP3 file. Google Voice will play the MP3 file on incoming calls when the screen is on, but still no sound when the screen is off.

Besides App notifications > Incoming call, there is > Background tasks. It is set to "Medium: No sound" by default. Just for fun I set it to "Urgent: Make sound and pop on screen" and selected another MP3 file for sound. When the screen is off, on an incoming call it actually starts to play the another MP3 file, but right away the usual incoming call popup appears and there is no more sound.

I have also tried setting "Override Do not Disturb" to on. No difference. "Do not disturb" is not enabled at all anyway.

I have tried to start fresh multiple times. After clearing data, I add to Permissions: Contacts, Microphone, Phone, and Storage. At this point, "App notifications" are not yet populated.
    I then run the Google Voice app.
    Link this device to Google Voice: Skip (because will be VoIP only)
    Update device name through the web interface.
    I don't change anything else on the LG Xpression Plus (on phones running 7.0 or earlier, under Settings > Messages:, I set Notification sound to Default notification sound / Main (instead of Silent), and Vibrate to off).

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    ^^It must be doing something different as it's not working the way it should. I used get the same nonsense on my oneplus 7t. Would not wake up the screen. This appears to be fixed now. Best I can recall (this is from a year ago), was something to do with the dual sims of this phone.

The notification settings above look good. I wonder, is it not ringing because the app is getting killed, or because of some other reason. I suppose one way to find out is when you open the app, does it open instantly or there's small delay?

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the suggestion, I am not sure I notice anything strange when I open the app. I might say it opens instantly (the LG Xpression Plus has a better CPU than the LG Phoenix 2).

I would think the app is not getting killed: When the screen is off, on incoming calls it correctly displays an incoming call popup. The popup stays on (and does not jump up and down like on 7.0 or earlier phones) to allow one to answer the phone. It's just that it does not ring.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast