Thread: AT&T Prepaid Taxes and Fees?

Feedback Score

Question AT&T Prepaid Taxes and Fees?

How can I see in advance or estimate the exact taxes and fees and total charges for the currently offered AT&T Prepaid plans in California?

Device(s)
    Motorola MOTO X4, Iphone 6S On VZW (Wife's)
    Carrier(s)
    GoPhone, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    If you're paying any additional taxes & fees on AT&T prepaid refills then you're doing it wrong. If you purchase the refills through Callingmart there are no additional taxes or fee's & Callingmart has monthly coupon codes for 5%-7% for AT&T prepaid so their $40 plan usually costs me about $38 every month.

Feedback Score
    Target also doesn't charge taxes and 911 fees but not sure about other countries like California

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dust N Bones View Post
    If you're paying any additional taxes & fees on AT&T prepaid refills then you're doing it wrong. If you purchase the refills through Callingmart there are no additional taxes or fee's & Callingmart has monthly coupon codes for 5%-7% for AT&T prepaid so their $40 plan usually costs me about $38 every month.
    I have an old 8GB plan that was $50 minus $10 auto pay discount to $40 including tax. For some time, my total monthly bill was exactly $40, then small fees of less than 60 cents started being added some time later.

Now, they have a 15GB plan listed for $40 plus taxes and fees, but if the new plan with more fees caused my bill to increase to $45, I would pass on it as a worse deal because I usually use less than 8GB per month and have rollover.
    They also have a $30 plan that only has 5GB data, but if taxes and fees bring the price up several more dollars, I would pass on that too since it would be getting too close to what I’m paying for 8GB.

So, I want to see what the actual new bills would look like before making any changes,
    I don’t think I want to bother with having to deal with the extra work and account management required using Callingmart cards since paying directly with autopay is so much more simple.

Feedback Score
    You still get the autopay discount following Dust N Bones post #2. You're throwing away money otherwise.
    I will be Judged on how I helped the poor, sick & others in need; strangers & loved ones alike.

Visible (Verizon) UTT & Unlimited Data $25/mo
    Liberty Wireless (T-Mobile) UTT 07.26.21
    T-Mobile Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.05.22
    Truphone (AT&T) every 180 days by 07.04.21

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post
    You still get the autopay discount following Dust N Bones post #2. You're throwing away money otherwise.
    There is currently no Callingmart discount available plus there is a $1 service fee.
    So, you have to to monitor for monthly discounts to purchase at the right time when the promo codes work. Too much micromanagement dealing with two different accounts to pay one bill to save less than $2

Feedback Score
    Callingmart has a standard 2% discount and a $1 fee. Plus it saves all the taxes and fees. The only AT&T codes I ever see are 3%

I have to buy two $100 cards to cover my seven lines with a little left over to carry forward.

So out of the $200, I save $4-$6 off the cost, as well as about $16 taxes and fees. Then you add the $2 for their "service fee" and we end up with about $18 savings.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wwglen View Post
    Callingmart has a standard 2% discount and a $1 fee. Plus it saves all the taxes and fees. The only AT&T codes I ever see are 3%

I have to buy two $100 cards to cover my seven lines with a little left over to carry forward.

So out of the $200, I save $4-$6 off the cost, as well as about $16 taxes and fees. Then you add the $2 for their "service fee" and we end up with about $18 savings.
    Not worth the extra work for me since the plan I already have includes most taxes and fees. It’s less than 60 cents over the list price.
    If I was ready to commit to $200 purchase, then I could just spend $100 more and prepay for the $25 annual plan without dealing with a middleman.

Right now, I like being able to leave whenever I want without losing money and not having to buy third party calling cards of several months value.

Feedback Score
    Without getting further sidetracked on Callingmart, back to the original question. How can I see or calculate on my own the total cost for AT&T prepaid plans including the additional taxes and fees in California?

Carrier(s)
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score

Fee and tax free for me

Quote Originally Posted by web1b View Post
    Without getting further sidetracked on Callingmart, back to the original question. How can I see or calculate on my own the total cost for AT&T prepaid plans including the additional taxes and fees in California?
    I have been with AT&T Prepaid for about 5 years, lived in CA during that time and have NEVER paid taxes or fees. I buy my refills at Target and they do not charge a tax or fee either. My understanding is that if you refill with AT&T directly you will be charged a tax and fee based on the plan you are on which is why I avoid that option.

Device(s)
    LG G4, Galaxy S7 Edge, Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, FreedomPop, TracFone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by web1b View Post
    You can look up the current CA MTA tax at
    https://www.cdtfa.ca.gov/taxes-and-fees/mts-rates.aspx. It varies by county and city. AFAIK, the MTA is the only tax collected on prepaid airtime by CA.
    Find and compare prepaid plans at https://prepaidcompare.net

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    I just activated the 8gb plan for 12 months. I am in Illinois, so we probably pay more taxes and the total bill ended up being $339.21 which calculates to 28.26 so only $3.26 tax on top o $25 base monthly cost. Hope his helps.

Feedback Score
    Wow! That's a lot of taxes! I'm glad I was able to fund my wife's account with AT&T Prepaid cards, purchased at a discount and with no taxes/fees!

Device(s)
    iPhone 11, iPhone SE, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Boom Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    Wow! That's a lot of taxes! I'm glad I was able to fund my wife's account with AT&T Prepaid cards, purchased at a discount and with no taxes/fees!
    It all comes to how much effort you want to put into it. The simplest default procedure is just to do autopay, and pay these fees. Then there are the third party route in buying cards or pins. Which isn't all that hard either if you buy $100 or so at a time so you do it only a few times a year. For some people, $5-10/month may be the difference between phone service or not. Others, just not liking to pay more than they need to. There is a reason I don't have postpaid right now
    iPhone 12 Pro is my current primary phone. No plans to upgrade plan to 5G.