Thread: Textnow using the cell signal not working?

Feedback Score

Textnow using the cell signal not working?

Can someone with the free service try making a call using the cell signal and post back if they were successful? The phone shows a good signal and LTE. Is TextNow still on Sprint - I still have a Sprint SIM.

When I sent an SMS to it, it did show up in the app but I couldn't reply from the app. After a while it says "Not sent. Tap to retry".

Calling and texting works perfectly well over wifi - the calling and texting experience described above is on a Sprint cell signal.

Feedback Score
    I've been able to PLACE TextNow calls over Cellular data, but never RECEIVE calls over cellular data. Stopped trying that. And stopped using the service. Perhaps I'll go fire up the TextNow phone and attempt to place a call over cellular data again...

See: https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...8#post17161878

And: https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...0#post17162050

Feedback Score
    Tested just now, on LTE data:

Incoming and outgoing SMS work

Incoming and outgoing calls work
    • First try outgoing call- I couldn’t hear anything on both caller (A) and callee (B) sides. So, I called my TextNow A from B. Call went through and I can hear on both sides.
    Then I called again from A to B. It worked fine then - can hear on both sides.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for taking the time to reply, Maru.

brg, let me know how that works out, please.

I tried what you suggested, but am having no luck. However, I do notice when I call the phone it says "incoming call", but there appears to be nothing I can do to make it connect.

However, texting appears to work now.

Feedback Score
    working fine for me on 2 different devices(samsung s7 & iphone 6) activated on free plan on sprint, i have wifi turned off for the testing

Feedback Score
    if you are still having trouble you may want to 'cancel' the free plan and than re-activate

i have had trouble a few times over the months i have used textnow for testing and experimenting that were fixed by cancelling and re-activating

Feedback Score
    I had a 2 hour chat session with Tech support yesterday. "Darian" at TextNow was patient and persistent, even though at some point I was happy to call it quits. They now have debug logs from a call from my phone to their test line and from their test line to my phone. They also have my contact info (email + a different phone number).

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by russsell View Post

brg, let me know how that works out, please.
    Verifying that I just tried the following using my TextNow app on my Android cell:

Text out from TextNow: works fine.

Text in to TextNow: received fine.

Call out from TextNow App via LTE (WiFi deactivated): works fine.

Call in to TextNow cellphone, with TextNow App active and in the foreground using LTE (WiFi deactivated): never, ever works. TextNow device never rings. Calling device eventually switches from ring tone to busy tone. Eventually TextNow app reports "missed call." Not even going to TextNow VM, as it used to...