Thread: It's official: LG is exiting the smartphone business

Feedback Score

It's official: LG is exiting the smartphone business

https://www.androidcentral.com/its-o...phone-business

It's official: LG is exiting the smartphone business
    HARISH JONNALAGADDA 4 Apr 2021

LG has confirmed that it is exiting the smartphone segment.
    LG is currently the ninth-largest smartphone manufacturer in the world, but the South Korean brand failed to make a profit in the last five years.
    LG says it will focus its efforts on 6G, EV tech, IoT, robotics, and AI.

After nearly six years of continual losses, LG has pulled the plug on its smartphone unit. The South Korean manufacturer made some of the best Android phones over the years, but devices like the LG Wing failed to make any headway.

LG sold a total of just 24.7 million phones last year, less than a tenth of its South Korean rival Samsung. With the unit posting losses of $4.4 billion over the last five years, LG has officially announced that it is exiting the mobile business. The brand will continue to sell its current inventory, but it will no longer produce phones.

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); LG Fiesta 2 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    What are you doing up so early (ha-ha)?

Too bad about this. I like their good, cheap phones. Guess we'll have to rely even more on Motorola in the $250 and under range (and Samsung too) .

I didn't read the article, but I had heard LG was thinking about outsourcing the manufacturing of future devices to keep the name going, or at least licensing the name, kind of like what Nokia does with HMD.

It's a tough business.

Feedback Score
    Their flagships always felt slow. Not sure why, but definitely not up to the level of Apple or Samsung etc. Cheap though once out for a few months.

Feedback Score
    It is a shame.

My mom used her LG Octane VN530 for almost 9 years, and it still worked just like new, including still-very-good battery life. She only switched to an iPhone SE, when Vzw threatened to end 3G service on 12/31/19. Of course, with the end of 3G now being pushed back to 12/31/22, she could have STILL been using it, although she really has no complaints about her iPhone SE, except that it needs to be charged more often.

One of my favorite phones was my LG G2, and while I still have it, parts of the screen became unresponsive, which was when I switched to my LG Phoenix 2 that I got for $29.99 on Black Friday, 2016. I still use my Phoenix 2 from time to time, but mostly just for testing things occasionally.

Device(s)
    LG phones, Motorola, ZTE, occasional Alcatel
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    It definitely won't be the same without LG. My first smarty phone was a LG Optimus which I still have.

I never 100% warmed to Samsung because of basic OS layout or menu differences although I really liked my J3 Luna Pro. Its battery doesn't last long but it is a nice lower end phone. I also dislike some of the Samsung stuff like browser, etc.

LG was my 2nd go-to brand after Moto, although I collected more LGs. LG Stylo 3, LG Phoenix 2, LG Fiestas 1&2, LG Neon Plus 2, but only 3 Motos currently.

I recently saw the Phoenix 2 on Walmart website for about $70. It must be a refurb. I got mine for $50 at Best Buy.

Sent from my moto e6 (XT2005DL) using HoFo mobile app

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Mint, Red Pocket
    Feedback Score
    I bought the F3 for my dad as his first cell phone. Later, I got him the Tribute 2. The Optimus V was my first smartphone. Since then, I'm using the Phoenix 2, Phoenix 4 (2), Aristo, Aristo 2 (bootlooped last year), and Aristo 4. Picked up a couple Fiestas on the Simple $10 sales, too. The Phoenix 2 and Aristo are in my hotspot rotation.

Don't really care for Samsung phones, though I used the Victory as my daily way back when. I guess Moto will be the new first choice now since I've been satisfied with the E4 and E5.

Device(s)
    LG Ultimate 2 L41C, HTC Evo 4G, Photon Mifi
    Carrier(s)
    Pageplus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    I had a couple of LG phones. The ultimate 2 was good with its removable battery. Too bad it was a 3g only phone but used it on Page Plus for a couple of years.

The G2 I had was okay but I still think an update caused the GPS to stop working.

The hardware business is hard to stay afloat in.

Sent from my S3_Pro Umidigi using HoFo mobile app