Thread: Switching ftom TF to Net10

Feedback Score

Switching ftom TF to Net10

How hard would be to switch from TF to Net10? My service on TF is expiring soon. I use very little data on my phone, mostly talk and sometimes text. TF offers unlimited talk&text with 12Gb date for $199/year.
    Net10 offers unlimited talk&text with 1Gb for $99:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Net10-Prepa...h/283471229567

I know that TF & Net10 both are parts of Movil, but how different are they and how smooth switching from one to another will go?

Device(s)
    Motorola G6
    Carrier(s)
    Page Pluss
    Feedback Score
    How interesting!

Quote Originally Posted by mtfster View Post
    How hard would be to switch from TF to Net10? My service on TF is expiring soon. I use very little data on my phone, mostly talk and sometimes text. TF offers unlimited talk&text with 12Gb date for $199/year.
    Net10 offers unlimited talk&text with 1Gb for $99.

I know that TF & Net10 both are parts of Movil, but how different are they and how smooth switching from one to another will go?
    I think you can try this out for $1.

You need a new "blank" SIM. I think you can use a $1 Tracfone BYOD SIM from Best Buy, Target, WalMart, etc. (If this SIM has to be "Net10"-branded, I hope someone will correct me.) Activate with the web page or call customer service.

If this doesn't work, you have found out for $1 ; if it does work, buy the $99 SIM and go through the activation again.

(I'm suggesting this because Tracfone customer service has told me to do this to change underlying carrier from Verizon to AT&T.)

Regards, FJ

Feedback Score
    Great idea, but then IMEI would be tied with $1 SIM? Or not?
    I really don't know how this works.

Device(s)
    Motorola G6
    Carrier(s)
    Page Pluss
    Feedback Score
    Great idea, but then IMEI would be tied with $1 SIM? Or not?
    I really don't know how this works.
    Yes. I would expect this to pair your IMEI and SIM in Net10.
    You would throw away your trial SIM when you got the new year-plan SIM.

The idea is to avoid a $99 gamble with a $1 fixed cost. Further, I expect the activation will run thru entering your enter IMEI and ICCD and fail the step where the web page wants you buy airtime. At that point, you know your IMEI is OK and can be activated on Net10 ... but nothing has actually happened. Bail out. The year-plan SIM and your IMEI should be OK. Follow the instructions that come with the new SIM.

If the web page says your IMEI is no good ... you have found out for a dollar. You could ask on Net10 chat, too.

Hopefully, hpham (( I think?) will jump in and straighten me out.

Regards, FJ

Device(s)
    LG Q7+, LG Journey, LG Stylo 4+
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    As far as I know, currently the IMEI is only "tied up" if the phone is being used with a SIM that uses the Verizon network (via TF or Net10). AT&T and T-mo might ask for the IMEI to verify that the phone is fully compatible with their network (i.e. supporting VoLTE/HD Voice) but doesn't tie up the IMEI (yet).

Device(s)
    Moto G Power, Moto G7 Power, Moto E6
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone (Verizon), Visible
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    As far as I know, currently the IMEI is only "tied up" if the phone is being used with a SIM that uses the Verizon network (via TF or Net10). AT&T and T-mo might ask for the IMEI to verify that the phone is fully compatible with their network (i.e. supporting VoLTE/HD Voice) but doesn't tie up the IMEI (yet).
    I have an unlocked phone that was used only on Simple Mobile (T-mo) but when I enter that IMEI into Total Wireless it says the device is already on another brand and it won't let me activate it. Simple Mobile never asked for my SIM number. The same thing happens if a phone was ever on Tracfone (AT&T), won't let me activate on Total Wireless. Of course the same thing happens if a phone was ever on Tracfone (Verizon) but that makes sense because I know it's tied to the IMEI

Feedback Score
    TF is reading this forum, no doubt. Price for Net10 plan from my post went up to $169.99 :-(

Device(s)
    LG Q7+, LG Journey, LG Stylo 4+
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    TF is reading this forum, no doubt. Price for Net10 plan from my post went up to $169.99 :-(
    TF does indeed read this forum. Occasionally people would get Private Messages from AlexTrac offering (useless) suggestions for their problems with TF. Whether they raised the price based on what you posted, who knows?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    TF does indeed read this forum. Occasionally people would get Private Messages from AlexTrac offering (useless) suggestions for their problems with TF. Whether they raised the price based on what you posted, who knows?
    Yup, I have gotten a number of PMs from Alex. All of them useless. I believe that Alex is a bot that looks for key words and responds with a canned response.

Feedback Score
    So I hooked up a family member with Tracfone but they are using more data than I thought they would. On a (BYOP Straight Talk) Can I put this in a DL model tracfone without any problems? This phone currently has a ATT BYOP Tracfone sim in it.
    Last edited by Senkoboy; 04-17-2021 at 09:52 AM.