Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: activating ebay sim with existing account

Carrier(s)
    Consumer Cellular
    Feedback Score

activating ebay sim with existing account

Wanted to validate the best way to activate a $39.99 ebay prepaid sim with an existing account.
    I have an existing Straight Talk-branded Moto phone (activated on TF) with a Verizon SIM (locked) that expires in a couple of months and I want to keep using this phone. If I purchase this ebay sim (which is designed for a BYOP smartphone) which of the following should I do:

1) On the TF site, activate the new Verizon sim and transfer service from my existing account. Then put the new SIM in the Moto phone. (I don't think this will work as the phone is Straight-Talk branded, locked phone, but the new SIM is BYOP)

2) On the TF site, activate a new AT&T sim, transferring service from my existing account. Put the AT&T SIM into an old unlocked Iphone 8 that I have laying around. A day or two later, go onto the TF site and transfer my service from the active AT&T sim to the (old) verizon SIM that's locked to the Moto phone. (I have heard that you can re-use TF-Verizon sims, but I'm not 100% sure about this.)

Could use some advice on #1 vs #2; #1 is more straightforward but I don't think it will work, so I think I'll need to do #2, but want to verify that I can reuse the existing verizon sim that's in my current Moto.

Device(s)
    LG Q7+, LG Journey, LG Stylo 4+
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Option 2 is the way to go. Option 1 won't work because you can't activate a BYOP TF/Verizon SIM unless you can provide the IMEI of a phone that passes the TF/Verizon whitelist check.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    Option 2 is the way to go. Option 1 won't work because you can't activate a BYOP TF/Verizon SIM unless you can provide the IMEI of a phone that passes the TF/Verizon whitelist check.
    Wouldn't a ST Moto pass the TF/Vzw check? I thought they're all the same if the same model number.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    Wouldn't a ST Moto pass the TF/Vzw check? I thought they're all the same if the same model number.
    A phone branded by TF or a subsidiary won't pass the whitelist check.

Carrier(s)
    Consumer Cellular
    Feedback Score
    OP here; are you speculating that in option #2, I won't be able to move service back to the ST-moto, even though it is currently working with TF?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by larrycl View Post
    are you speculating that in option #2, I won't be able to move service back to the ST-moto, even though it is currently working with TF?
    That's not what I said.

You CAN transfer service back to the ST Moto with no problems. What I said was that Option #1 is not doable, because in order to activate a BYOP TF/Verizon SIM, you have to provide the IMEI of a phone that passes the whitelist check, and your ST Moto won't pass because it's branded by a subsidiary of TF (or TF itself).

Carrier(s)
    Consumer Cellular
    Feedback Score
    That's not what I said.

You CAN transfer service back to the ST Moto with no problems. What I said was that Option #1 is not doable, because in order to activate a BYOP TF/Verizon SIM, you have to provide the IMEI of a phone that passes the whitelist check, and your ST Moto won't pass because it's branded by a subsidiary of TF (or TF itself).
    understood! Thanks!

Carrier(s)
    Consumer Cellular
    Feedback Score
    You've been helpful, so I hope you don't mind one more question: My brother gave me an older TF-branded moto. I put the IMEI into the checker, and I didn't get an error. Does that mean I can do #1 above (use the old phones IMEI + the new BYOP VZ SIM, transfer service to the SIM, then put the SIM into my newer, desired ST-moto?)

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    My brother gave me an older TF-branded moto. I put the IMEI into the checker, and I didn't get an error. Does that mean I can do #1 above (use the old phones IMEI + the new BYOP VZ SIM, transfer service to the SIM, then put the SIM into my newer, desired ST-moto?)
    1. Did you get a screen saying the phone is compatible, like the screenshot below?
    2. Assuming you did, then you can use the old phone's IMEI to activate the Ebay BYOP TF/VZ SIM. HOWEVER, that SIM will be paired with the old phone's IMEI. Swapping that SIM into your ST Moto (or another phone) likely will work, but eventually it COULD cause you problems when Verizon more closely enforce that pairing. There are recently posts from people who couldn't make calls after swapping SIMs, and a message from Verizon which basically said "Please put the SIM back into the phone it was activated with to restore your service".

I don't want to be a fearmonger, I just want to make you aware of potential problems with SIM swapping. You can read more about that HERE and the posts after it from people who had the same problems.

Added Note: you can activate the Ebay BYOP TF/VZ SIM using the old phone's IMEI, with a transfer from your current ST Moto. Then after that, TRANSFER service back to the ST Moto instead of SIM swapping. Since both the Ebay SIM and the ST Moto are on TF/VZ, the transfer back should be instantaneous and low-risk.

Name:  Tracfone-IMEI-check-Essential-PH1.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  35.8 KB

Device(s)
    LY Stylo 2v
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone
    Feedback Score
    A phone branded by TF or a subsidiary won't pass the whitelist check.
    My TF branded Moto G Power 2020 passed the whitelist check.
    Said my phone is compatible with TracFone, just like the screenshot you provided.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NanaC View Post
    My TF branded Moto G Power 2020 passed the whitelist check.
    Said my phone is compatible with TracFone, just like the screenshot you provided.
    Maybe TF has eased the restriction of not allowing a branded phone to be used as BYOP ? I don't know.

Carrier(s)
    Consumer Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Hmm, OP here: wnen i entered the imei, it did not say "compatible", but it went right to a following screen asking if I want to transfer a number. If I say 'no', it asks if I have an airtime card and then goes on from there.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Hmm, OP here: wnen i entered the imei, it did not say "compatible", but it went right to a following screen asking if I want to transfer a number. If I say 'no', it asks if I have an airtime card and then goes on from there.
    How did you do the whitelist check? Here's how I did it:
    1. Go to TF.com web site, click on ACTIVATE on the dark blue line, select I'm Bringing My Own Smartphone.
    2. Accept the Terms, select "No, I don't have one (SIM)", select Verizon Compatible, enter the IMEI then click on Continue. It should come back saying the phone is Compatible, or Not Eligible for Service, or an error (phone is already paired with an active SIM).

Device(s)
    moto g6
    Feedback Score
    My service days don't run out until later this year, so here is what I plan on doing to maximize value...

I'm going to buy a $40 AT&T SIM from eBay, activate it under my account with a new #, and let it sit there for at least 60 days so that I earn the 7,000 rewards points for adding a new line. As soon as those points are available for redemption, I'll use them to add more service to my original line. Once that's all locked in, I'll have them combine the balance from the AT&T SIM to my original line, and will wind up with quite a bit of service for just $40.

Feedback Score
    How did you do the whitelist check? Here's how I did it:
    1. Go to TF.com web site, click on ACTIVATE on the dark blue line, select I'm Bringing My Own Smartphone.
    2. Accept the Terms, select "No, I don't have one (SIM)", select Verizon Compatible, enter the IMEI then click on Continue. It should come back saying the phone is Compatible, or Not Eligible for Service, or an error (phone is already paired with an active SIM).
    I did exactly this, and as the previous poster stated, there was no mention of compatibility or eligibility. I tried to activate my out of service Verizon phone with the ebay SIM via chat, and was told it's not compatible with the system. I asked why, and the agent just repeated herself and told me to ask for a refund from ebay. I left it at that as I've learned that when things don't work out right away, there is no use trying to find answers from the front line agents.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast