Thread: Four questions dogging T-Mobile's 5G fixed wireless ambitions

Feedback Score

Four questions dogging T-Mobile's 5G fixed wireless ambitions

https://www.lightreading.com/optical...a/d-id/768606?

As a result, T-Mobile will "only sell capacity to fixed broadband subs in markets where they have more than their mobile subs could possibly use," according to the financial analysts at New Street Research. "We estimate they could only support 4.1 million average fixed broadband subs in markets where they have excess capacity."T-Mobile's Dow Draper told PCMag the operator will take subscribers on a first-come, first-served basis until its network capacity runs out, and then will add subscribers as it adds capacity.

Device(s)
    iPhone 12 Pro Max / iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    Pacific Bell Wireless / AT&T MX / Movistar MX / Telcel MX
    Feedback Score
    I don't think this is a scaleable service at all for what T-Mobile wants to do. T-Mobile is going to play catch up by doing this offering unlimited data at 100Mbit/s and the pricing is unattractive and limited in scope. I would offer different speeds and data allotments so consumers have a choice and allows T-Mobile to potentially add more customers with different mixes of speed tiers/data while gradually filling out the existing network capacity.

The current pricing for unlimited data at 100Mbit/s for $60 is great for households who can afford to shell out this much for internet access, but it's going to hurt those to already struggling to meet ends before the pandemic and need said service to get access to education and social services. T-Mobile has a good plan but the admission cost is steep.

Feedback Score
    For the early testers, it was priced at $50. A $60 price point would not be competitive in cities that already have 2 ISP. I currently have Verizon Fios and I pay $39.95 for 200/200(speedtest results gives 300/300). I have my own router that I paid $35 for on Ebay. Comcast charges the same and get the same speeds here as well. So in my market, T-mobile will not claim many subscribers.

At least however, the current 5G speeds are good in my area that was recently upgraded to midband 5G. Speedtests using my One Plu 8 5G smartphone gives me about 320 megabits down on T-mobile.

Device(s)
    One Plus 8 (T-Mobile), Samsung S10e (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    They're almost as cheap as you can get, with taxes and fees included. Spectrum here is $75 for 200Mbps. At&t is $45 for 50Mbps with caps and taxes/fees

Sent from my IN2017 using HoFo mobile app
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

Device(s)
    Samsung S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    $40 would be competitive for 200Mb/s. But they need to get to 600-1000Mb/s to compete against Comcast & AT&T fiber and Verizon mmWave 5G, all priced at $60-80.

Then they have the problem that the other providers have which is that very few households have a need for >250Mb/s.

If data usage is uncapped then you run i to the problem of multiple households sharing a gigabit connection, easy to do in high-density housing, and not too difficult in suburbs either.
    Quote Originally Posted by navyson View Post
    For the early testers, it was priced at $50. A $60 price point would not be competitive in cities that already have 2 ISP. I currently have Verizon Fios and I pay $39.95 for 200/200(speedtest results gives 300/300). I have my own router that I paid $35 for on Ebay. Comcast charges the same and get the same speeds here as well. So in my market, T-mobile will not claim many subscribers.

At least however, the current 5G speeds are good in my area that was recently upgraded to midband 5G. Speedtests using my One Plu 8 5G smartphone gives me about 320 megabits down on T-mobile.
    Sent from my SM-N960U1 using HoFo mobile app