Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Customizing ringtone, text with additional recipients, DTMF tone

Device(s)
    Nexus 5, Nexus 6P, Boost Mobile ZTE Speed, Moto G5 Plus, Moto X4, Moto G Stylus(2020)
    Carrier(s)
    SafeLink(T-Mobile), FreedomPop(AT&T), Google Fi(T-Mobile)
    Feedback Score

Lightbulb Customizing ringtone, text with additional recipients, DTMF tone

From https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...1#post17171901
    Quote Originally Posted by fstuff View Post
    is there a way to get ringtone when someone calls my google voice # but leave ringtone off when someone calls my phone provider's (ie: Mint) assigned #?
    Since your MVNO (Mobile Virtual Network Provider) – Mint will use native phone app, in setting, there is notification sound, if you go further for advanced setting, you will see phone ring tone, and you may select none to have no ringing at all. Since I do not have my phone configured in English, I do not have exact words in English for each setting. I am confident that you will be able to find the setting even without exact words as even with different words, they actually meant same thing. To configure ringtone for incoming calls to Google Voice telephone number, long press the Voice icon and wait for a pop-up menu, tap app info in the menu, it is in notification, tap incoming call, tap advanced, tap ringtone, there you can select or add your customized ringtone.

From https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...2#post17171902
    another problem with gv app:
    how do i get touchtone when im dialing #'s on the phone pad?
    There is no such setting available for DTMF (Dual-Tone Multi-Frequency) or touch tones when you dial out, but once connected, there will be DTMF tone available. Hence, there should be no concern at all.

From https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...3#post17171933
    How do you do multiple person chat in Google voice?
    Tap texting icon that is second from the right at the bottom of Google Voice app, then tap the pen icon to start new text, then select a recipient, then tap the add recipient icon that is the first icon to the right of recipient you have already selected to add additional recipient(s). When you are done with selecting all recipients, tap texting icon that is on the upper right corner to input your text message.

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); LG Fiesta 2 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    When you mention in the first paragraph to long press the Google Voice icon, which one (starting from where) are you referring to? Not the Home screen. Where else is there a GV icon?

Feedback Score
    On an LG Xpression Plus running 9.0, when you long press an icon, you can select "App info".

It is the same as going to system Settings > Apps & notifications > App info > Voice.

However, the LG Xpression Plus does not have an "Advanced" menu.
    https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...-screen-is-off

Device(s)
    Nexus 5, Nexus 6P, Boost Mobile ZTE Speed, Moto G5 Plus, Moto X4, Moto G Stylus(2020)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by whacker View Post
    When you mention in the first paragraph to long press the Google Voice icon, which one (starting from where) are you referring to? Not the Home screen. Where else is there a GV icon?
    The screen lists all application icons. Alternately, as andyk88 mentioned, you can also get it via "system Settings > Apps & notifications > App info > Voice.".

Device(s)
    Motorolla Q9c, Droid 1 (2009), Alcatel Elevate (2016)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hoktrillian View Post
    From https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...1#post17171901
    Since your MVNO (Mobile Virtual Network Provider) – Mint will use native phone app, in setting, there is notification sound, if you go further for advanced setting, you will see phone ring tone, and you may select none to have no ringing at all.
    Since I do not have my phone configured in English, I do not have exact words in English for each setting. I am confident that you will be able to find the setting even without exact words as even with different words, they actually meant same thing.
    To configure ringtone for incoming calls to Google Voice telephone number, long press the Voice icon and wait for a pop-up menu, tap app info in the menu, it is in notification, tap incoming call, tap advanced, tap ringtone, there you can select or add your customized ringtone.
    thx!

1) on my phone (Moto One Action, android 10) it's:
    long press on gv icon -> app info -> notifications -> scroll down to incoming call -> advanced -> sound

2) Here's a weird thing:
    I have 2 gv #'s on this phone.
    a) one gv # has been verified with the phone carrier's (ie: Mint mobile) supplied phone #.
    this gv # uses Android's default phone app's ringtone and ignores the ringtone set in #1 (above).
    so if i set the ringtone off for the phone carrier's #, the associated gv # also doesnt get ringtone.

b) i couldnt get the other gv # to be verified to the same phone carrier's (Mint) phone #. (no idea why.)
    This gv #'s ringtone is the one set in #1.

why did they get rid of Hangouts?
    it was so simple and it worked flawlessly for my purposes!

Feedback Score
    Hangouts was definitely superior to the GV app. I still miss it.

I could be wrong, but regarding your scenario above, there's no need to verify anything with already-existing GV #s, EXCEPT if you're trying to verify a phone # as a forwarding #.

So, you may be referring to adding your Mint # as a forwarding # to your other GV #?

I think you can, if you add it as a home or office #, however, that's based on what I did a long time ago in the past, so it may or may not still work.

Regarding why there are two different ringtones when you call your 2 GV #s, I think it's because one of them is forwarding to your Mint phone #, while the other one is ringing over data only via the GV app.

The above is based on my understanding of what you said, and there's always a chance I misunderstood...

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Regarding how to navigate to setting an individual app's sound notification tone, I believe there has been a significant change with later versions of Android as well as the way developers integrate with those versions.

I'm using a device on Nougat 7.0, and that path described to do the changing does not exist in 7.0. Looking at some of my Google apps, in the older ones I haven't updated or are older style (Gmail and Hangouts, for instance), there's a place in the Settings of the app to select sounds. In the more up to date ones (like Google Voice, which is newer) there is a discrete sound setting for Messages, but not Calls. In the Google Chat app I just installed there is no sound selection. It uses whatever the System sound notification is set for.

I'm guessing this function with newer apps is intended to rely on the OS's ability to be able to go in and do the selecting. Until someone shows me different, anyway.

Device(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    Hangouts was definitely superior to the GV app. I still miss it.

I could be wrong, but regarding your scenario above, there's no need to verify anything with already-existing GV #s, EXCEPT if you're trying to verify a phone # as a forwarding #.

So, you may be referring to adding your Mint # as a forwarding # to your other GV #?

I think you can, if you add it as a home or office #, however, that's based on what I did a long time ago in the past, so it may or may not still work.

Regarding why there are two different ringtones when you call your 2 GV #s, I think it's because one of them is forwarding to your Mint phone #, while the other one is ringing over data only via the GV app.

The above is based on my understanding of what you said, and there's always a chance I misunderstood...
    ahh.. forwarding.

yes, by verifying, the gv # can be forwarded to my Mint #.
    i can dial out using Mint's cell tower instead of VoIP/data and it would show up as my gv #.
    kinda like a backup if im in an area with poor data reception but i have good cell tower reception.

the reason why i want my mint # to show up as gv # is for uber/lyft.
    that gv # is associated with uber/lyft.
    Just outside Fort Lauderdale airport has poor data reception for Mint/Tmobile but works fine for freedompop/AT&T.
    I had to switch sims to get Uber/Lyft. (And freedompop is going away next month.)

but back to the separate ringtones.
    i was NOT forwarding the gv # to Mint # and gv still used Android's default phone settings for that gv #.
    i guess that gv # is permanently using Android's default phone settings since it's verified with the phone provider's #.

Device(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by whacker View Post
    Regarding how to navigate to setting an individual app's sound notification tone, I believe there has been a significant change with later versions of Android as well as the way developers integrate with those versions.

I'm using a device on Nougat 7.0, and that path described to do the changing does not exist in 7.0. Looking at some of my Google apps, in the older ones I haven't updated or are older style (Gmail and Hangouts, for instance), there's a place in the Settings of the app to select sounds. In the more up to date ones (like Google Voice, which is newer) there is a discrete sound setting for Messages, but not Calls. In the Google Chat app I just installed there is no sound selection. It uses whatever the System sound notification is set for.

I'm guessing this function with newer apps is intended to rely on the OS's ability to be able to go in and do the selecting. Until someone shows me different, anyway.
    hm.. going to test that with my old Moto E4 (android 7) phone.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    I will be anxious to see the results!

Device(s)
    Feedback Score
    ahh.. forwarding.

yes, by verifying, the gv # can be forwarded to my Mint #.
    i can dial out using Mint's cell tower instead of VoIP/data and it would show up as my gv #.
    kinda like a backup if im in an area with poor data reception but i have good cell tower reception.

the reason why i want my mint # to show up as gv # is for uber/lyft.
    that gv # is associated with uber/lyft.
    Just outside Fort Lauderdale airport has poor data reception for Mint/Tmobile but works fine for freedompop/AT&T.
    I had to switch sims to get Uber/Lyft. (And freedompop is going away next month.)

but back to the separate ringtones.
    i was NOT forwarding the gv # to Mint # and gv still used Android's default phone settings for that gv #.
    i guess that gv # is permanently using Android's default phone settings since it's verified with the phone provider's #.
    found another confusing thing about gv # verified with my Mint Mobile #.

phone calls to my gv # also show up on my default phone app's call log. (but not vice versa)
    so i need to pull up both gv and my default phone app and compare incoming calls.
    those that arent on both lists is calling my Mint #.

(my gv # isnt forwarded to my Mint #. i will only do that when i need to call using native voice aka cell tower because no data signal for VoIP AND for my gv # to show up on caller ID. ie: for Uber)

luckily i dont care who is calling my Mint # since it's a throwaway #. i dont give it out to anyone.
    Last edited by fstuff; 04-19-2021 at 09:17 PM.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score

Lightbulb

I have 2 gv #'s on this phone.
    a) one gv # has been verified with the phone carrier's (ie: Mint mobile) supplied phone #.
    this gv # uses Android's default phone app's ringtone and ignores the ringtone set in #1 (above).
    so if i set the ringtone off for the phone carrier's #, the associated gv # also doesnt get ringtone.
    Setting ringtone off turns off all ringtone no matter what ringtone you have selected. It is possible that the first Google Voice number ringtone follows default ringtone configuration regardless another ringtone has been selected. To work around this, try select none for default ringtone, then select the ringtone you want for each app/account please.

b) i couldnt get the other gv # to be verified to the same phone carrier's (Mint) phone #. (no idea why.)
    This gv #'s ringtone is the one set in #1.
    To prevent people from getting unlimited Google Voice telephone numbers, Google does require an unique landline or mobile telephone number (VoIP -- Voice over Internet Protocol telephone number does not qualify) in the United States to obtain a Google Voice telephone number. In other words, you cannot use same landline or mobile telephone number to obtain or verify second Google Voice telephone number. As to the ringtone, once you configure default ringtone to none, each app/account can have different ringtone set and will not ring as default ringtone.

why did they get rid of Hangouts?
    it was so simple and it worked flawlessly for my purposes!
    The answer can be found at four posts starting from https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...0#post17170030

Device(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hoktrillian View Post
    Setting ringtone off turns off all ringtone no matter what ringtone you have selected. It is possible that the first Google Voice number ringtone follows default ringtone configuration regardless another ringtone has been selected. To work around this, try select none for default ringtone, then select the ringtone you want for each app/account please.

To prevent people from getting unlimited Google Voice telephone numbers, Google does require an unique landline or mobile telephone number (VoIP -- Voice over Internet Protocol telephone number does not qualify) in the United States to obtain a Google Voice telephone number. In other words, you cannot use same landline or mobile telephone number to obtain or verify second Google Voice telephone number. As to the ringtone, once you configure default ringtone to none, each app/account can have different ringtone set and will not ring as default ringtone.
    thx. now have incoming call ringtone for one gv # and not the other.

now for another problem.
    it seems i cant separate vibrate for incoming calls.
    either both gv lines has it or both dont.
    so android 10 default sound settings controls it.

anyway to have vibrate incoming calls for only one of my gv #s?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    I do not have more than one Google account to test it, but it appears to me that is a bug in Google Voice specifically for people have more than one Google Voice account. You may want to give Google Voice team a feedback so they can fix the issue some time in the future.

Device(s)
    Feedback Score
    Android 10:
    today, i discovered i dont get sound for receiving txt msgs if my phone is charging.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast