Thread: Device for 20GB - $300/year plan

Feedback Score

Device for 20GB - $300/year plan

I'm currently working on a project that requires mobile data. I've been using AT&T Prepaid - 5GB for $30/mo with a Pixel 3a and and Asus router - and this has worked fine without issue for the past 4 or 5 months.

5GB seems to be working for my needs - although I've thought about expanding the project a bit, which might require a bit more data. I started looking at the 8GB for $300/year as an option - then I found the 20GB data plan for $300/year. Paying for a year of service upfront isn't an issue for me.

But my question is, what device can I use the 20GB $300/year plan on? Can I continue to use the Pixel 3a? Since I've already got a router setup, I don't really need a dedicated hotspot device. I don't need talk or text - I just need data. Will the 20GB $300/year plan work in a regular phone? Or will AT&T kick it out?

I'm also I'm hoping I can switch to this plan without having to go to an AT&T store or involve any AT&T employee. My experience with AT&T employees is that they don't always know what their own systems allow and don't allow. They're sales people and are there to upsell devices and services. I don't see an option in my AT&T Prepaid OLAM to switch to this 20GB $300/year plan - I'm hoping that a simple - Change to this plan - button click will change me to this plan, if it's feasible.

Feedback Score
    There's a little more info at: https://www.reddit.com/r/NoContract/...lan_fair_deal/

It sounds like you do have to go into a store, but I have no personal experience with it.

Feedback Score
    I seem to recall reading some where - I think it was on reddit - about someone able to switch to this plan from their OLAM since they already had an AT&T Prepaid account. You just can't outright purchase this plan online without having an existing AT&T Prepaid account. Whether or not if that's true, I don't know. But I do see the option in my OLAM.

But will a regular phone work with this plan? I don't care if the phone doesn't allow calls or text - I don't need that. I just need the data. And since I already a USB router setup - I don't really require a hotspot device. If I can just use the Pixel 3a with this plan, that'd be great.

Feedback Score
    T-Mobile prepaid offers mobile data only plans that might fit your needs. I’ve used the sim in a phone without issue.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Feedback Score
    Unfortunately, it's pretty much AT&T or bust at this location. T-Mobile is iffy. And the Verizon tower is so overloaded, any of their prepaid or MVNOs are out of the question.

Actually the data plan really isn't in question. 5GB works for what I'm doing right now. But the idea is that the project might get expanded a little bit - 10GB would probably be ideal. But essentially I can get 4x the current 5GB for $5/mo less than what I'm paying now (I guess paying for a year upfront might be viewed as a negative, but I don't have any issue doing that).

So I'm not really looking for an alternative to this plan. I'm just really wanting to know if I can use a phone on a data-only plan.

I don't really want to buy a dedicated hotspot device.

The location for this project is spread out a bit, and that's why I like having an actual WiFi router and would be a bit concerned that a dedicated hotspot wouldn't have the WiFi reach that the Asus router has.

I suppose I could get a dedicated hotspot device that can USB tether to the Asus router... but that seems like a waste, because I'm already doing that with the Pixel 3a.

Feedback Score
    Gotcha, I’m kinda interested in this plan myself. I could have a talk and text plan on esim and have this plan on a physical sim that I could move between devices.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Feedback Score
    I suppose another way of asking this:

Does anybody have a data-only plan from AT&T Prepaid (or AT&T in general, I suppose) and what happens if you put that sim in a phone?

Can you enable hotspot on that phone and use the data as you would in say a Nighthawk?

Personally, to me, I don't see what difference it makes - data is data, no matter what device yo are using. Now if you have a data-only plan in a phone and expect to get and make phone calls and texts, I can understand why AT&T wouldn't allow that to work. But just to use data - I wouldn't think it would matter if the data-only sim is in a hotspot or a phone.

But things that make sense to me often don't make sense in the corporate world.

Feedback Score
    You may have to try the $35/15gb monthly plan to see if it'll work. If it does cancel the 35 plan and then go purchase the $300 plan. If it doesn't then you're only out $35 instead of $300.

I looked at Cricket's $35 data only plan and the website would sell me a data only sim based on my iphone IMEI but it wasn't clear if hotspot from my phone would work or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by charlesfinley View Post

Does anybody have a data-only plan from AT&T Prepaid (or AT&T in general, I suppose) and what happens if you put that sim in a phone?

Can you enable hotspot on that phone and use the data as you would in say a Nighthawk?

Personally, to me, I don't see what difference it makes - data is data, no matter what device yo are using. Now if you have a data-only plan in a phone and expect to get and make phone calls and texts, I can understand why AT&T wouldn't allow that to work. But just to use data - I wouldn't think it would matter if the data-only sim is in a hotspot or a phone.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by overlock View Post
    You may have to try the $35/15gb monthly plan to see if it'll work. If it does cancel the 35 plan and then go purchase the $300 plan. If it doesn't then you're only out $35 instead of $300.

I looked at Cricket's $35 data only plan and the website would sell me a data only sim based on my iphone IMEI but it wasn't clear if hotspot from my phone would work or not.
    I actually tried this. Ended up paying $53 (35 for plan, 15 for sim + tax). Popped the sim in a pixel 4a 5g and it worked, but only got 8mbps down, 1mbps up. I have the 3 month 8gb/$99 plan and speeds are always 150+down/11+up.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by charlesfinley View Post

A Reddit user commented that they are using the yearly data plan on their pixel 4a without any problems including hotspot.

https://www.reddit.com/r/NoContract/...tm_name=iossmf

Sent from my iPad using HoFo

Feedback Score
    Thanks!

That's good to know.

Although, I've kind of had to backburner this. I've recently started getting a:

AT&T Free Message: Your attempt to connect to data service was unsuccessful. Please try again later.

While tethered to the router. I'm not sure what's causing that and I'd rather not invest $300 upfront if this is going to be a continual problem.