Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Confused what I bought

Feedback Score

Confused what I bought

I bought an unlocked GSM Sonim XP3800 which was supposed to be a 4G LTE cell. I moved a Consumer Cellular SIM that was in a Doro 7050 (4G LTE) (AT&T) into the Sonim and everything worked. I wasn't sure VoLTE was sounding like I normally experience so I had Consumer Cellular check that it was enabled (it was) and I also checked the cell settings and it was turned on there as well.

Consumer Cellular checked the IMEI/MEID (15 digits) and they tell me this phone is showing up as a 3G cell. I don't see how this can be the case. They say all their service is 4G LTE. The Sonim says CC Network but doesn't show LTE near service bars area like the Doro did. What do you make of this? The attached pic shows the bands the Sonim has.Name:  Screenshot_20210413-153853.jpeg
Views: 115
Size:  40.4 KB

Sent from my moto g(7) power using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Maybe the APN needs adjusting.

Feedback Score
    I wondered that. It had about 8 different ones but none was selected. I didn't change it.

Carrier(s)
    Page Plus, Tello, T-Mobile, TRU SIM, Liberty Wrls.
    Feedback Score
    Perhaps, try Reset Network Settings from this page:

https://www.att.com/device-support/a...4/Sonim/XP3800

You'll have to set up Wi-Fi again.

Feedback Score
    Thanks. I needed to reset the wifi anyway because my brother accidentally changed one letter to a capital instead of a lowercase letter when we updated to a new router.

Feedback Score
    AT&T is starting to be picky about which models they will allow on their VoLTE system. So the phone has all the switches turned on, but AT&T ignores them. I don't know why they are doing this.

Why does your screenshot mention Verizon? That is just weird.

Where did you get this phone?

Carrier(s)
    Page Plus, Tello, T-Mobile, TRU SIM, Liberty Wrls.
    Feedback Score
    That's a screenshot of the ad-supported Phone Scoop page:

https://www.phonescoop.com/phones/phone.php?p=5903

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mizwiz View Post
    I bought an unlocked GSM Sonim XP3800 which was supposed to be a 4G LTE cell. I moved a Consumer Cellular SIM that was in a Doro 7050 (4G LTE) (AT&T) into the Sonim and everything worked. I wasn't sure VoLTE was sounding like I normally experience so I had Consumer Cellular check that it was enabled (it was) and I also checked the cell settings and it was turned on there as well.

Consumer Cellular checked the IMEI/MEID (15 digits) and they tell me this phone is showing up as a 3G cell. I don't see how this can be the case. They say all their service is 4G LTE. The Sonim says CC Network but doesn't show LTE near service bars area like the Doro did. What do you make of this? The attached pic shows the bands the Sonim has.Name:  Screenshot_20210413-153853.jpeg
Views: 115
Size:  40.4 KB

here's the AT&T version specs - https://www.att.com/device-support/a...0/Sonim/XP3800
    the version you have may be a Verizon or a Sprint version.

Feedback Score
    My father uses the Sonim. I remember him saying when it boots up it says Sprint.

Feedback Score
    I got the phone on eBay for my father.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisme View Post
    AT&T is starting to be picky about which models they will allow on their VoLTE system. So the phone has all the switches turned on, but AT&T ignores them. I don't know why they are doing this.

Why does your screenshot mention Verizon? That is just weird.

Where did you get this phone?

Feedback Score
    Yes here's the listing to confirm it.
    Quote Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    here's the AT&T version specs - https://www.att.com/device-support/a...0/Sonim/XP3800
    the version you have may be a Verizon or a Sprint version.
    Name:  Screenshot_20210414-122732.jpeg
Views: 82
Size:  28.3 KB

Feedback Score
    sonim xp3 flip phone 8gb rom/1g ram black sprint t-mobile at&t a unlocked

This was the full description of the phone. I had an AT&T SIM from Consumer Cellular so I figured this would work fine. It is ... Sorta. All maybe .....minus VoLTE.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mizwiz View Post
    My father uses the Sonim. I remember him saying when it boots up it says Sprint.
    There's your answer. AT&T, which is already picky with even factory unlocked phones, is not going to accept a phone with a Sprint pedigree for VoLTE. No matter how much the seller unlocked it. The IMEI gives it away. AT&T will only allow the basics. Maybe even only 3G. Sprint phones are sort of orphans these days. Maybe the seller was trying to get some use out of them. The bands unlock, but the carrier has to accept the IMEI.

You might have better luck with a T-Mobile sim.

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The OP could try contacting the provider to offer them the imei of a compatible device (iphone/samsung). This worked before with cricket to get volte working on a non branded device (oneplus 7t) 18 months ago.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisme View Post
    There's your answer. AT&T, which is already picky with even factory unlocked phones, is not going to accept a phone with a Sprint pedigree for VoLTE. No matter how much the seller unlocked it. The IMEI gives it away. AT&T will only allow the basics. Maybe even only 3G. Sprint phones are sort of orphans these days. Maybe the seller was trying to get some use out of them. The bands unlock, but the carrier has to accept the IMEI.

You might have better luck with a T-Mobile sim.
    Another similar cell stated this info:

Compatible AT&T, T-Mobile, Cricket, metro, simple Mobile, Straight Talk, Lyca, Mint, Walmart Mobile, Consumer Cellular and many more. Not Compatible with Verizon or boost Mobile. Due to recent update in ATT system – any phone that is not 5G is being flagged as not compatible or 3G. Please inform the ATT rep that it is a 4G unlocked phone and they will make a note and you wont have any issues. This issue is also affecting all prepaid services that uses ATT network like Consumer cellular, Cricket, H2o, Pure Talk, Tracfone, Straight Talk etc

Apparently they can list 4G LTE and a zillion bands but it's all baloney.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast