Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Unable to port Alaska landline phone number to Page Plus

Feedback Score

Unable to port Alaska landline phone number to Page Plus

I signed up for PagePlus last month and the CSR said everything looked fine with the account and PIN for the number I was porting, but the number would take up to a week or 2 to port the because it was a landline.

More than 2 weeks has passed and the number hasnít ported.
    I called back today and now their porting department says Verizon isnít licensed to port that number. They never bothered to notify me that it wasnít going through. I asked them to refund the plan I purchased.

Which carriers can port Alaska landline numbers and if I port to another cellular provider first, can I then transfer it to Page Plus?

Carrier(s)
    Page Plus, Tello, T-Mobile, TRU SIM, Liberty Wrls.
    Feedback Score
    From a couple years ago, although I doubt that the situation has changed for the better...

https://www.reddit.com/r/ATT/comment...my_number_out/

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockchuck View Post
    From a couple years ago, although I doubt that the situation has changed for the better...

https://www.reddit.com/r/ATT/comment...my_number_out/
    Verizon is supposed to have service in Alaska, unlike T-Mobile though.
    https://www.verizon.com/solutions-an...elcome-alaska/

Should I be able to port it to AT&T and then to PagePlus or Google Voice from there?

Iím looking for the cheapest way to use this number mostly for receiving SMS alerts for MFA without any SMS spam. Page Plus seemed to be the cheapest option with their $10 pay as you go that covers 120 days. So, only $30 for almost a year, 360 days.
    Whatís the next cheapest plan for AT&T?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by web1b View Post
    I’m looking for the cheapest way to use this number mostly for receiving SMS alerts for MFA without any SMS spam. Page Plus seemed to be the cheapest option with their $10 pay as you go that covers 120 days. So, only $30 for almost a year, 360 days.
    What’s the next cheapest plan for AT&T?
    H2O (ATT) has Pay As You Go plans like PagePlus but they're 90 days instead of 120. Hard to find on their website; you need to google H2O Pay Go Plans, but here's the link. https://www.h2owireless.com/plan/minute
    I have no experience with them.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    H2O (ATT) has Pay As You Go plans like PagePlus but they're 90 days instead of 120. Hard to find on their website; you need to google H2O Pay Go Plans, but here's the link. https://www.h2owireless.com/plan/minute
    I have no experience with them.
    Whatís the best way to get H20 SIM cards?

It seems strange that I canít port the number to PagePlus though since Verizon does have service in Alaska. There are even some Verizon physical store locations in Alaska. Maybe itís a PagePlus issue.
    I may try H20 if itís really impossible to port in an Alaska number to Page Plus even from another cellular carrier.

Feedback Score
    BestBuy and maybe some other BigBox.

Device(s)
    iPhone, OnePlus 8, iPhone 7 Plus (Car phone)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile PostPaid
    Feedback Score

It seems strange that I canít port the number to PagePlus though since Verizon does have service in Alaska. There are even some Verizon physical store locations in Alaska. Maybe itís a PagePlus issue.
    I may try H20 if itís really impossible to port in an Alaska number to Page Plus even from another cellular carrier.
    Depends.... where in Alaska. Just because a Carrier covers a state doesnít mean they cover ever town / county.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Current Phone: AT&T XS Silver 256GB. T-Mobile / MetroPCS
    Android device : Galaxy S9 RedPocket Verizon

I am no longer a U.S.Cellular User.
    Speedtest in Knox.TN EvDo Rev.A

My Photography www.hunterspad.com

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hyelton View Post
    Depends.... where in Alaska. Just because a Carrier covers a state doesnít mean they cover ever town / county.

How do they determine itís not in a town or county they cover when there is only one area code for the entire state? If you have a mobile number, you can move around.

Device(s)
    A bunch
    Carrier(s)
    Most of them
    Feedback Score
    Number portability isnít based on area code. Itís based on ratecenters. Think of the old central offices that housed the switches in the landline phone days, those still exist. A ratecenter was based on the CO the call originates or terminates at.

The high level overview is that the carrier you want to port to has to have a physical presence in the same place a phone call to that area code and prefix terminates at. In heavily populated areas, cellular switches are everywhere generally and located in the same places as landlines, so it works.

In rural areas, not every carrier has a physical presence in every rate center, so it becomes more iffy. In someplace like Alaska, doubly so.

There are websites out there where you can see what carriers have a presence in what ratecenters, but itís generally not worth the trouble to research all that when you can just try to port the number and usually it will tell you right away yes or no.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by clonehappy View Post
    Number portability isnít based on area code. Itís based on ratecenters. Think of the old central offices that housed the switches in the landline phone days, those still exist. A ratecenter was based on the CO the call originates or terminates at.

The high level overview is that the carrier you want to port to has to have a physical presence in the same place a phone call to that area code and prefix terminates at. In heavily populated areas, cellular switches are everywhere generally and located in the same places as landlines, so it works.

In rural areas, not every carrier has a physical presence in every rate center, so it becomes more iffy. In someplace like Alaska, doubly so.

There are websites out there where you can see what carriers have a presence in what ratecenters, but itís generally not worth the trouble to research all that when you can just try to port the number and usually it will tell you right away yes or no.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    If AT&T Wireless or H20 and Cricket have a presence in the area of the landline rate center, once ported in to one of those carriers, does the number then become portable out to other cellular carriers with different coverage in Alaska such as Verizon and their MVNOs?

If I just port the Alaska number to AT&T prepaid wireless, can I get a Google Voice number for an area GV covers and forward GV calls to the Alaska phone number?

Carrier(s)
    Page Plus, Tello, T-Mobile, TRU SIM, Liberty Wrls.
    Feedback Score
    Coverage map of Good2Go Mobile, an AT&T MVNO:
    https://good2gomobile.com/support/be...eless-coverage

If you aren't in one of the shaded areas, there'll be no service, no porting to AT&T or any AT&T MVNO. Numbers don't port unless the "winning" carrier has a physical presence and the authority to port the number away. If you can use H2O or another PAYGO AT&T MVNO, sign up and be satisfied. H2O SIMs are available on eBay.

Excepting Anchorage numbers, porting to a DID (virtual number) appears unlikely. VoIP provider Callcentric's lookup...
    https://www.callcentric.com/lnp/

...deems an ACS, Anchorage number, 907-245-xxxx portable. Porting to Callcentric, voip.ms, etc., would let you forward incoming calls and SMS* to your Page Plus phone for about $5/mo. Only your desire to keep your original phone number can decide you on whether this is worth the nuisance and standing expense.

* Some Callcentric lines can be set up to relay SMS (cost unresearched); can't say for voip.ms or other VoIP providers. Also, banks and businesses frequently shun VoIP numbers for the purpose of authentication (Google -- an IP number provider -- ironically won't accept my non-Google VoIP number).

Device(s)
    iphone 6s plus
    Carrier(s)
    VZW,T-mobile,Cricket,Fi
    Feedback Score

Unable to port Alaska landline phone number to Page Plus

If you have data, you can always use the callcentric app to receive and send SMS.
    "I didn't get fat by accident. This was a personal choice. " - Kevin Gillespie

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile PostPaid
    Feedback Score
    How do they determine itís not in a town or county they cover when there is only one area code for the entire state? If you have a mobile number, you can move around.
    You have the area code- prefix- and suffix.

Your prefix will narrow you down to the county level.... Numbers mean a lot more than you think.

Sent from my KB2007 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Try porting to Number Barn for $2. Then port to the mobile carrier.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile PostPaid
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Rojniles View Post
    Try porting to Number Barn for $2. Then port to the mobile carrier.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk
    That wonít change the rate center though. If it canít port now it wonít port after that

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast