Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Unable to port Alaska landline phone number to Page Plus

Carrier(s)
    Truphone
    Feedback Score
    I’m looking for the cheapest way to use this number mostly for receiving SMS alerts for MFA without any SMS spam
    try truphone
    there are no monthly fees
    incoming SMS is free
    it will remain active if make 1 minute call in every 180day at least

https://myaccount.truphone.com/en-US...stomizeProduct

2.1 We shall provide you with national and international mobile telecommunications services including voice, text and where available 3G data services based on the capabilities of a multi-IMSI SIM card. Our Services under this EULA are provided on a prepayment basis for the period the services are being used by you and up to 180 days from the last day the services are used by you.

Carrier(s)
    Page Plus, Tello, T-Mobile, TRU SIM, Liberty Wrls.
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by web1b View Post
    I’m looking for the cheapest way to use this number mostly for receiving SMS alerts for MFA without any SMS spam.
    Economical though it is, Truphone is nearly useless for 2FA/MFA, as its phone numbers are not classified as mobile numbers.

While it does use AT&T's cellular network in the U.S., Tru is a U.K. firm that makes use of virtual numbers (DIDs) for its VoIP call processing. My Tru SIM phone number is registered to Level 3 Communications, not AT&T.

Most institutions - banks, etc. - don't honor DIDs for 2FA/MFA. (The exception is "Fixed VoIP" numbers issued by Comcast, Spectrum, Ooma, etc., where billing and service addresses are known and verifiable.)

In a nutshell, I still suggest porting to an AT&T MVNO such as H2O or Black Wireless, or AT&T Prepaid, if the landline number is indeed portable.

Feedback Score
    I am now trying to port to H20 instead since it’s an AT&T MVNO and AT&T has wider Alaska coverage than Verizon.
    I started the port online a few days ago and it accepted all the info I put into the web form with no complaints or errors about the phone number or account information.

I decided to call H20 today to see what’s going on with the port to verify there were no issues.
    They didn’t say the phone number is not within the regions they support, but they said there is a problem with the account ZIP code. He asked me for all the information again and I gave him all the same information showing in the verification email I received from H20 the day I originally started the port online.

I think their porting system has issues because the billing ZIP code used for the account does not match the region the phone number represents.
    I will have wait a couple days to see if they have a way to manually override this. The CSR said he resubmitted the info.

Both PagePlus and H20 signup and porting systems are pretty bad because, when there is an issue, they don’t proactively contact you. You have call and verify the status or you will just be waiting forever for a port that will never happen.

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    I decided to call H20 today to see what’s going on with the port to verify there were no issues...but they said there is a problem with the account ZIP code.
    Suggestion: Supply only your 5-digit ZIP-code, not your 9-digit. I've experienced problems when referencing credit card, banking and related personal information using my 9-digit ZIP, but rarely when citing the 5-digit.

Page Plus, even in its pre-Slim days, didn't contact me when there was a problem. Under Tracfone, I expect even less support.

Device(s)
    iPhone, OnePlus 8, iPhone 7 Plus (Car phone)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile PostPaid
    Feedback Score
    I am now trying to port to H20 instead since it’s an AT&T MVNO and AT&T has wider Alaska coverage than Verizon.
    I started the port online a few days ago and it accepted all the info I put into the web form with no complaints or errors about the phone number or account information.

I decided to call H20 today to see what’s going on with the port to verify there were no issues.
    They didn’t say the phone number is not within the regions they support, but they said there is a problem with the account ZIP code. He asked me for all the information again and I gave him all the same information showing in the verification email I received from H20 the day I originally started the port online.

I think their porting system has issues because the billing ZIP code used for the account does not match the region the phone number represents.
    I will have wait a couple days to see if they have a way to manually override this. The CSR said he resubmitted the info.

Both PagePlus and H20 signup and porting systems are pretty bad because, when there is an issue, they don’t proactively contact you. You have call and verify the status or you will just be waiting forever for a port that will never happen.
    Having a different zip code can make an issue if there not using the one thats currently on the account with the current provider.

Also landline numbers can take a few weeks to port depending on the original carrier.

Years ago it took about 2 weeks to port a landline to voip from AT&T

Sent from my KB2007 using Tapatalk
    Current Phone: AT&T XS Silver 256GB. T-Mobile / MetroPCS
    Android device : Galaxy S9 RedPocket Verizon

I am no longer a U.S.Cellular User.
    Speedtest in Knox.TN EvDo Rev.A

My Photography www.hunterspad.com

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hyelton View Post
    Having a different zip code can make an issue if there not using the one thats currently on the account with the current provider.

Also landline numbers can take a few weeks to port depending on the original carrier.

Years ago it took about 2 weeks to port a landline to voip from AT&T

Sent from my KB2007 using Tapatalk
    I verified the account information including the billing ZIP code and entered it exactly as it shows when I sign into the account.

Feedback Score
    I contacted support at the current provider and they said the information showing in my account is not what to use for porting out.
    They gave me different address and zip code info yesterday and I received an email this morning stating they approved porting the number out to H20. It may take a few more days to process, but at least it’s moving forward now.

I wonder if that was the real issue with Page Plus all along last month and if I will be able to port this Alaska number from H20 to PagePlus after the initial port from the landline completes?

How can I determine for sure if this number really can be ported to PagePlus and the original porting failure was only because of incorrect account info?

PagePlus is $10 for 120 days vs $10 for 90 days on H20 wireless.
    PagePlus also allows you to disable SMS. Can you do the same with H20?

Can you disable voicemail pickup on either these carriers so incoming calls just drop if not answered within a certain number of rings?

Feedback Score
    The number finally successfully ported in to H2O.
    Since I am prepaid for 90 days, I’ll keep it for now and see if there are any spam calls or texts during that time.
    What can I do to verify whether or not I’ll be able to port this number between H2O and PagePlus later. I’d like to verify whether the number truly is not eligible for Page Plus or if the reason it failed to port there the first time was because of the address mismatch issue.

One negative issue I had with H2O phone support was a language barrier or just maybe incompetence issue with the CSR.
    I called 611 to enable the plan and got an error after entering all my credit card info into the automated system. So, I held for an agent to verify whether it went through. It did and then I tried to ask her if 611 calls to customer support count against my pay as you go balance.

She couldn’t understand or give a relevant answer. So, I gave up on asking, because, if it did count, staying on the line longer for clarification would burn through more of my balance.

Does anyone here know the answer?

Feedback Score
    The number finally successfully ported in to H2O.
    ...and then I tried to ask her if 611 calls to customer support count against my pay as you go balance.

She couldn’t understand or give a relevant answer. So, I gave up on asking, because, if it did count, staying on the line longer for clarification would burn through more of my balance.

Does anyone here know the answer?
    At 2 points in H20's FAQ, they suggest calling 611 for specific issues, noting " If the problem persists, dial 611 from your phone (this is a FREE call) or contact customer service from any phone at 1-800-643-4926." I can't imagine they would make 611 cals free for only specific issues, so it's likely free across the board.

https://buyh2oplan.com/faq/
    My Tello referral code is P3BSR5HV, and gets both of us 10 Tello Dollars to pay for a plan.
    https://tello.com/account/register?_referral=P3BSR5HV

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by greenhandle View Post
    At 2 points in H20's FAQ, they suggest calling 611 for specific issues, noting " If the problem persists, dial 611 from your phone (this is a FREE call) or contact customer service from any phone at 1-800-643-4926." I can't imagine they would make 611 cals free for only specific issues, so it's likely free across the board.

https://buyh2oplan.com/faq/
    I see that over $3 of charges have been subtracted from the $10 balance already.
    I can’t find anywhere in the account that shows usage to explain/itemize charges. Does it exist anywhere?

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by greenhandle View Post
    At 2 points in H20's FAQ, they suggest calling 611 for specific issues, noting "If the problem persists, dial 611 from your phone (this is a FREE call) or contact customer service from any phone at 1-800-643-4926."
    While calling 611 is free, calling the 800 number from the H2O phone probably consumes airtime.

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    I see that over $3 of charges have been subtracted from the $10 balance already.
    Is mobile/cellular data active on the phone? If it's a new phone, it may have started downloading and installing software/firmware updates. Disable mobile data in Network Settings (varies by operating system & model). If this action automatically turns off Wi-Fi, manually switch Wi-Fi back on (if you wish to use it).

Note that some applications can overcome the above measure, so you'll want to look through and disable automatic updating, app by app.

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    One negative issue I had with H2O phone support was a language barrier or just maybe incompetence issue with the CSR...She couldn’t understand or give a relevant answer.
    Few providers that cater to the very lowest end of the market, <$5 a month, offer U.S.-based C.S. Look up users' assessments of Red Pocket's C.S., for instance.

What can I do to verify whether or not I’ll be able to port this number between H2O and PagePlus later? I’d like to verify whether the number truly is not eligible for Page Plus or if the reason it failed to port there the first time was because of the address mismatch issue.
    Here's a rundown of Alaska localities & military bases where VZW has coverage:
    https://www.localcallingguide.com/lc...on=AK&ocn=6563
    If VZW has no presence in your rate center/wire center, you won't be able to port in.

Here's VZW's page with coverage map. Once you invoke the map, click the three-bar menu icon to select Prepaid Voice & Data, then insert your locality:
    https://www.verizon.com/featured/our-network/#coverage

Name:  AK_Prepaid_Verizon_-_2021-04-22_20.52.19.png
Views: 25
Size:  56.7 KB
    VZW Prepaid Voice & Data

People will comment that Page Plus's prepaid coverage is not necessarily congruent with VZW's own, but the root of the matter is: If there's no VZW presence where you need it, there's no Page Plus presence.

Carrier(s)
    Truphone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockchuck View Post
    Economical though it is, Truphone is nearly useless for 2FA/MFA, as its phone numbers are not classified as mobile numbers.

While it does use AT&T's cellular network in the U.S., Tru is a U.K. firm that makes use of virtual numbers (DIDs) for its VoIP call processing. My Tru SIM phone number is registered to Level 3 Communications, not AT&T.

Most institutions - banks, etc. - don't honor DIDs for 2FA/MFA. (The exception is "Fixed VoIP" numbers issued by Comcast, Spectrum, Ooma, etc., where billing and service addresses are known and verifiable.)

In a nutshell, I still suggest porting to an AT&T MVNO such as H2O or Black Wireless, or AT&T Prepaid, if the landline number is indeed portable.
    If I port my AT&T mobile number to truphone

that problems will last ? (phone numbers are not classified as mobile numbers.)
    or if I port number to truphone it again becomes virtual DID number and not classified as mobile number ??

ps

when I was ordering truphone sim card month ago I did not know about this things

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by armars View Post
    If I port my AT&T mobile number to truphone

that problems will last ? (phone numbers are not classified as mobile numbers.)
    or if I port number to truphone it again becomes virtual DID number and not classified as mobile number ?
    The principal deficiency of Truphone is its use of DIDs/virtual numbers which many, if not most, banks, large merchants and similar institutions refuse to accept when setting up the SMS (text messaging) form of two-factor authentication. DIDs are essentially cloud-based, not fixed facility-based, so you could be anyone, anywhere. SMS isn't terribly secure, but it's what's popularly used for 2FA, so we have to go with what business proprietors want.

When you ported in to Truphone, your AT&T number was converted to a DID...it's no longer an AT&T-based number. You can look up your number's basis on various websites...here's one at random:
    https://phonecarriercheck.com/
    Prefix your Tru number with the U.S.A. Country Code "1": 12223334444

Were you to port away from Tru to a U.S.-based major carrier or MVNO (with a few exceptions), your number would again be an AT&T (T-Mobile, Verizon) mobile number which would be honored for 2FA use.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast