Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Red pocket activation questions

Device(s)
    LG phones, Motorola, ZTE, occasional Alcatel
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score

Red pocket activation questions

I got my eBay RP SIM kit today for GSMT. T-Mobile/Sprint type SIM.

I got the activation code by email and went to the activation page link in the email.

I entered the info required in the text fields.

SIM type (GSM or GSMAS). I chose GSM.

SIM # entered (has a letter on the end. Do I include the letter or leave it off)

Phone's ID (IMEI, I assume)

Activation code

My name, addy, tel#

When I try to submit the form, it has ERROR in red under the SIM and activation code. It says Direct Access Not Allowed.

What does it mean?

Does it mean I can't activate the SIM using the phone I want to activate the SIM in (Moto E).

Do I have to use a different device to activate the phone?

Because I was entering the info on the form using the Moto E.

The SIM is in the phone.

Thanks. This is my first RP activation.

Sent from my moto e using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Just call them 99/100 they'll solve it while your on the phone.
    I will be Judged on how I helped the poor, sick & others in need; strangers & loved ones alike.

Visible (Verizon) UTT & Unlimited Data $25/mo
    Liberty Wireless (T-Mobile) UTT 07.26.21
    T-Mobile Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.05.22
    Truphone (AT&T) every 180 days by 07.04.21

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    I went to RP site and started a chat. They asked for my activation code and SIM and the zip.

He told me that he couldn't activate in my zip because their coverage map of my zip shows all white, no coverage. He offered to exchange the GSMT kit for the GSMA kit which is $60/year, double the price.

I told him I checked the coverage map before buying the SIM and the map showed deep green 5g all around the place i dropped the pin on the map. It gave the address. I had a chat CSR confirm that and he did. So I bought the kit.

I also told the CSR that I have a T-mo Sprint served phone at this spot. I asked why he was saying no coverage here when I confirmed it said so on their coverage map.

He said he could activate the SIM with another zip code since the phone number they issue is based on zip.

I said I would end the chat and confer with another CSR.

I went and did a screenshot of my address on their coverage map. It was the same as before I bought the kit. Deep green 5g all around. I haven't edited it yet to remove the addy (no editor on this phone to scratch that out) or I would post it here to prove it.

What is the issue with the map? This CSR says his shows no coverage. I saw their map at their site and it says yes.

He says it's why I can't activate the SIM because of the zip code.

They ask for my address on the form to activate. I can't give a different address. My street and town are in the zip I gave them.

If I give them a zip like the nearest city 40 miles away I don't have an address there... it's crazy. How could I create an account using my email addy and physical billing address if it's in the zip he won't acknowledge?

Why don't they activate by area code?

I am perplexed as to why they said on the map that I have great coverage here down to the pinpoint on the building before buying the SIM, now they say none. What sort of outfit is this?

And although my Wiko is a weak phone, it DOES get T-mo/Sprint signal here. It means there's a tower dishing (I have Network Info Lite and can see the bands, the signal strength info).

Something isn't right.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post
    Just call them 99/100 they'll solve it while your on the phone.
    I started an online chat and what the CSR said is in my other post. Is RP's phone service desk any better than chat?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    Here's the edited RP coverage map that I checked. I edited out addy details but the pin is on my spot. Name:  Screenshot_MotoEmap-RPgsmt.jpeg
Views: 113
Size:  30.6 KB

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    I entered another chat and got the CSR who validated the local map coverage before I bought the SIM. He for some reason switched me to another CSR without warning.

They said they could only activate in another area code despite the map booming with 5g green. So instead of losing my money on the kit or paying more to get a $60 GSM kit, I told them to try another zip just over the hill a few miles away, a town smaller than mine.

They used that zip and gave me an incredibly unmemorable number (One that guarantees I will want to use a Google Voice number to dial out from that I can easily remember instead of it).

She told me to turn off the phone and remove/reinstall the SIM but I was using the phone we were activating, so I told her it would end the chat. She said it would be okay, everything should work.

I asked how to check my balance, she said create an account online. I said if I create an account and it asks for my address, it won't match the activation zip.

I asked if there was a code I could text to for my balance. She said text BAL or BALANCE to 7039.

I rebooted the phone and within a few moments I received a text saying my data settings weren't right and that they'd send the update. I didn't see anything come through but checked the APNs and I am assuming they're ok.

I texted for my balance update and the reply was,

"You have 200 MB of High Speed Data Remaining XXX Minutes & Balance of $11.00".

The XXX is literally how they stated it with no actual minutes or texts counted.

That reminds me of an AT&T balance update, where they tell how much remaining funds are on the phone, not how many minutes.

I thought they would update in buckets like Tracfone does, where they say the exact number of minutes, messages, and data remaining.

I expected that because the RP plan for this SIM claims 200mins talk, 1000 texts, and then I think 200 mb data.

¿?How am I to know how much I used with "balance of $11.00”¿?

If I paid 30, why is the balance 11 at activation?

Does anyone else have this plan, and what do their balance inquiries look like?

If they created an online account and check their balance that way, does it state the balance in buckets?

What a bizarre experience.

Why didn't the coverage map reject my zip when I inquired before I bought the SIM if they can't activate on the zip code I checked coverage with?

I asked the CSRs and they didn't answer it. They just said they had to activate on a different zip because the phone number is issued by zip. How can the zip be more important than signal strength...?

They used the zip H20 uses to activate SIMs for me here. They won't activate in my zip either.

Not really liking any of this. If the balance was straight forward and I could understand it, I would just chalk it up to experience and use the phone til the year plan expires. I'm not sure if can ever be sure what the balance is.

I would have ported a number I do like but it's on T-Mobile/Sprint already and the rule seems to say numbers can't be ported in if they're already on the same underlying network.

So, had to activate with a new tel#. I usually get one that's easier to remember.

Any help about the balance info would be appreciated. Thank you.

I'm going to post the APNs after this.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    The APN settings screenshots may be a little out of order, but these are for the main T-mobile APN and for the MMS/data settings.

For anyone who has this Red Pocket GSMT kit and wonders about their APNs, there they are... Name:  Screenshot_APNs.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  11.5 KBName:  Screenshot_TMOapn1.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  14.6 KBName:  Screenshot_TMOapn2.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  15.6 KBName:  Screenshot_TMOapn3.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  20.2 KBName:  Screenshot_TMOapnMMS1.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  14.5 KBName:  Screenshot_TMOapnMMS2.jpg
Size:  14.9 KBName:  Screenshot_TMOapnMMS3.jpg
Size:  16.5 KB

Device(s)
    Moto G Stylus, Moto E4 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Liberty Wireless, FreedomPop, Red Pocket (AT&T & Verizon)
    Feedback Score
    I use the Red Pocket website to check account balances. Go to redpocket.com & click on "My Lines" in the menu. You can then link your number & get all the details of your account.

Last edited by Digital Rules; 04-14-2021 at 08:45 PM.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Rules View Post
    I use the Red Pocket website to check account balances. Go to redpocket.com & click on "My Lines" in the menu. You can then link your number & get all the details of your account.

Hi, I just did that. What an ordeal.

I had to have chat CSRs help set up the account because it kept rejecting my attempts.

It kept giving error messages about the things I entered being incompatible with a string of symbols and letters.

I figured it was rejecting my password but there was nowhere visible to click to read any rules about formatting the password. No rules about length or what symbols I could use, etcetera. A chat CSR said there should be something to click to see the rules, but I didn't see it.

I asked the CSRs what the rules were figuring they'd cut & paste those into the chat.

It wasn't very clear what was allowed or disallowed. They didn't say what length it should be but finally said no symbols allowed, just numbers & letters. I tried that and it still rejected the PW.

So, the CSR created the account for me. He said my username had to be one word not two. Maybe that was the problem but it would have been nice if the rules were visible on the page so I could figure these things out.

After I logged in, my account info was blank so he told me how to add the new line.

The code wouldn't send to verify as a text, so tried verification by IMEI (rejected that). It finally verified using SIM #.

Finally got in to see my balance. WOOHOO.

197 minutes, 991 texts, 198.0mb data. For 2.50/month that's not bad. I tested the phone of course before I checked the balance, sending texts and ringing numbers.

The renewal for the month is 5/13/21.

I tried texting BALANCE to 7039 to see if that was working after setting up the account but it's still showing the same thing. I wonder if they ding the text balance when I make a balance inquiry or if inquiries are free.

I associated the number of the phone with one of my Google Voice numbers so I can use it for calls and texts.

The telephone number they issued is really hard to remember, so I would rather use my GV number anyway to make calls. It should help spare my balance.

They said I can't change the RP number for 30 days, but if I use GV it won't matter.

I can't say it was a pleasant experience, not. Hopefully now that it's set up I won't have so much trouble. Basically no trouble I hope.

I thought it'd be easier to do, but I'm used to how Tracfone does things. RP does things a little differently.

The data allotment is all that worries me right now. I try to set my phones to use Wifi if possible but there's no saying what leakage there might be.

I hope the balance code starts working because I don't like logging into accounts to see my usage. So much faster texting like I do with TracFone.

My H20 SIM is due tomorrow and I hope it activates easier than this did. I've activated 3 H20 SIMs in the past few years, so if it's not changed any I should be okay.

Thanks to those of you who took time to make comments.

Maybe my experience will help someone else who hasn't had an RP account before.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    Balance Page. Name:  Screenshot_RPbalancePage.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  24.8 KB

Feedback Score
    Glad you're sorted.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post
    Glad you're sorted.
    For now, anyway

If that's all I need to doo then it should be okay. Thanks !

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    This is what Network Info dishes on my RP signal.

My Assurance Wireless Wiko phone on Tmo/Sprint runs all sorts of bands, not sure why band 2 is all I see on the Moto E.

My Wifi signal is the lower gauge.

Name:  Screenshot_Signal-1.jpeg
Views: 123
Size:  45.5 KBName:  Screenshot_RawData-1.jpeg
Views: 130
Size:  39.7 KB

Device(s)
    Ascend Y, Proclaim, Ascend Plus
    Carrier(s)
    America Movil, Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Wheelieboot, thanks for posting your activation experience. I am contemplating a move from Vzw Tracfone to some type of AT&T service. Red Pocket is on my radar. I know with Tracfone AT&T you don't have to provide IMEI. Does anyone know if Red Pocket requires IMEI for AT&T? I was concerned because you described the online RP activation experience and it asked for IMEI. But then it seemed like the chat/rep did the activation without an IMEI. Hoping someone with experience with RP can answer this question. I'm wanting to get an AT&T sim activated and use a GoPhone handset.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by indyrunr89 View Post
    Wheelieboot, thanks for posting your activation experience. I am contemplating a move from Vzw Tracfone to some type of AT&T service. Red Pocket is on my radar. I know with Tracfone AT&T you don't have to provide IMEI. Does anyone know if Red Pocket requires IMEI for AT&T? I was concerned because you described the online RP activation experience and it asked for IMEI. But then it seemed like the chat/rep did the activation without an IMEI. Hoping someone with experience with RP can answer this question. I'm wanting to get an AT&T sim activated and use a GoPhone handset.
    Yes, the activation instructions that came with the SIM kit asked for the phone IMEI for activation at the website.

They emailed me an activation code after I bought the kit on eBay. They asked for that number too.

I think it may be a RP need to document the IMEI for identifying the phone that's activated with the SIM, for security reasons? Not sure. I just know they asked for it.

The AT&T SIM might be different but the instruction sheet is pretty generic. It could be the same one they send with all SIMs.

There should be some people here with the knowledge you need. I hope they post.

You could also contact a RP CSR through chat and ask what you'll need to activate a GSMA SIM that works on AT&T.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast