Thread: Anyway to check IMEI to see if it will Activate on Tracfone?

Device(s)
    Moto G Power, Moto G7 Power, Moto E6
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone (Verizon), Visible
    Feedback Score

Anyway to check IMEI to see if it will Activate on Tracfone?

So I had a complicated chat today that finally ended when the port request (Tracfone AT&T to Tracfone Verizon) was denied because the Tracfone branded phone I was trying to transfer to couldn't be activated on Tracfone Verizon (VoLTE issue). But that didn't stop all my minutes from disappearing, LOL. Anyway, they did fix it.

So is there an easy way to find out if an IMEI can be activated on Tracfone Verizon?

Device(s)
    LY Stylo 2v
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by YaWho View Post
    So I had a complicated chat today that finally ended when the port request (Tracfone AT&T to Tracfone Verizon) was denied because the Tracfone branded phone I was trying to transfer to couldn't be activated on Tracfone Verizon (VoLTE issue). But that didn't stop all my minutes from disappearing, LOL. Anyway, they did fix it.

So is there an easy way to find out if an IMEI can be activated on Tracfone Verizon?
    Choose Verizon compatiable.

https://www.tracfone.com/keep-your-own-phone

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NanaC View Post
    Either this is wrong or the rep was wrong. When I enter the IMEI on that site it says:

Do you want to keep your current phone number?

The only thing unusual about this situation is that the phone is a Tracfone branded locked phone and I don't have the original SIM

Device(s)
    LY Stylo 2v
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone
    Feedback Score
    Either this is wrong or the rep was wrong. When I enter the IMEI on that site it says:

Do you want to keep your current phone number?

The only thing unusual about this situation is that the phone is a Tracfone branded locked phone and I don't have the original SIM
    May I ask what kind of phone are you trying to activate on TF/VZW?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NanaC View Post
    May I ask what kind of phone are you trying to activate on TF/VZW?
    A Tracfone branded LG Rebel 2

It looks like it can be done:

https://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php/1910159

But it isn't easy. I'm guessing that even though I started the chat telling them that it was a Tracfone branded phone and I didn't have the original SIM, he still didn't get it. They said they don't send out replacement SIMs anymore and that I'd have to use a BYOD SIM. But then I'm guessing that he never actually associated the IMEI with the new SIM. Because that IMEI is FOREVER associated with the SIM it came with unless they change it themselves

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    I think this is the key to my problem I saw on another thread:

Tell them this:

"Just put it down as a reactivation due to a lost/damaged SIM and please re-provision the phone with this new SIM #"

Device(s)
    LY Stylo 2v
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone
    Feedback Score
    I think this is the key to my problem I saw on another thread:

Tell them this:

"Just put it down as a reactivation due to a lost/damaged SIM and please re-provision the phone with this new SIM #"
    Hopefully that will work.

Device(s)
    moto g6
    Feedback Score
    I believe you mentioned in the other thread that you were trying to activate a VZW BYOP SIM in a TF branded Rebel 2, correct?

I don't believe that will work. If I remember correctly (it's been a while), BYOP SIM's (TF256PSIMV97TD) cannot be provisioned in TF branded phones on the VZW network, it must be a non-BYOP TF branded VZW SIM (TF256PSIMV9N or TF256PSIMV97N)

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tracfoner69 View Post
    I believe you mentioned in the other thread that you were trying to activate a VZW BYOP SIM in a TF branded Rebel 2, correct?

I don't believe that will work. If I remember correctly (it's been a while), BYOP SIM's (TF256PSIMV97TD) cannot be provisioned in TF branded phones on the VZW network, it must be a non-BYOP TF branded VZW SIM (TF256PSIMV9N or TF256PSIMV97N)
    The CSR on chat said they don't send replacement SIMs anymore and told me to buy a BYOP SIM. But that was just one person. I'll find out more tomorrow. thanks

Device(s)
    moto g6
    Feedback Score
    If what I'm remembering about the BYOP vs non-BYOP SIM on VZW is correct, then nothing will allow the phone to be re-activated with the BYOP SIM on VZW.

Like I mentioned in the other thread, that's a pretty old phone to go through such a hassle for. By the time you find a SIM that is compatible, you probably could've just purchased a new Rebel 4 for like $40 or whatever they go for now. Or an even better phone with a year of service +1500 buckets for $50-$60 on HSN or QVC.

I mean, if the phone means that much to you, then good luck with it. You might want to buy the cheapest refurb phone on eBay that Tracfone sells, which should come with a virgin TF branded VZW SIM that you can use in the Rebel 2...I believe those phones are around $15 with free shipping.

Or maybe someone has an old, deactivated TF branded VZW SIM they can mail to you, as they are reusable. I probably have half a dozen of them somewhere from all the phones I've gone through, but lord knows where.

Device(s)
    LG Q7+, LG Journey, LG Stylo 4+
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    The CSR on chat said they don't send replacement SIMs anymore and told me to buy a BYOP SIM. But that was just one person. I'll find out more tomorrow. thanks
    I tend to agree with this. You can use a BYOP TF/VZ SIM with a TF-branded phone but a rep must pair it to the phone as a replacement SIM. Since there's no physical difference between a BYOP SIM and a "branded" SIM, it makes business sense for TF to not incur the expense to ship out a new SIM, and tell the customer to go buy one.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Allowing the use of a BYOP SIM in a branded Tracfone is a step in the right direction for Tracfone.
    Makes me wonder if Verizon is already influencing Tracfones rules.

Device(s)
    moto g6
    Feedback Score
    Well, if TF is now allowing VZW BYOP SIM in a TF branded phone, that is something new, because it definitely wasn't always like that...or that easy, at least. Good luck finding a competent CSR who can figure out how to pair the BYOP SIM with the IMEI.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Tracfone should next pair an activated SIM from one phone with another phone's IMEI... and then you just swap the SIM into the "other" phone.
    No more transfers of service.
    Last edited by Tracfancier; 04-15-2021 at 09:07 PM.

Device(s)
    LG phones, Motorola, ZTE, occasional Alcatel
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    The BYOP SIM kits are really cheap, $1 online or in some stores around town like Rite Aid if they have those there. Hopefully the ones in town aren't past expiration.

It's worth a buck if they really will provision the phone for you using the kit SIM.

Even if the phone is old, if it can still be used on TF, a buck is cheaper than a new phone, at least until you can get a new one. The account should transfer to the new phone when you get one.

Sent from my moto e5 (XT1920DL) using HoFo mobile app