Thread: Now that FreedomPop's free 200meg/month data plan is going away, what are you switching to?

Device(s)
    Motorolla Q9c, Droid 1 (2009), Alcatel Elevate (2016)
    Feedback Score

Now that FreedomPop's free 200meg/month data plan is going away, what are you switching to?

I'm using fp as my backup to Mint Mobile.

since i've had fp all these years, i feel naked without a backup.
    Recommend me a cheap backup.

Feedback Score
    $30 Red Pocket if T-Mo/Sprint work for you, 1 year Tracfone via eBay for $60 (currently on sale for $40) if you need ATT/Verizon. Or check prepaidcompare.net

Feedback Score
    In some type of price order, my favorites:

TextNow: requires Sprint device for now, will transition to T-Mobile, $0/mo. (VoIP over WiFi or cellular data: data is restricted to voice/text use only.)

Red Pocket (T-Mobile), $30 annual plan via Ebay ($2.50/mo)

Ultra-Mobile PayGo (T-Mobile), $3/mo with $10 SIM cost, inexpensive overage charges on demand, monthly cost pays through a deposit system.

Tracfone (choice of carrier), currently $40/year ($3.33/mo) via Ebay, included units can be used anytime during the year Best price if you want a different carrier than your primary Mint line.

Tello (T-Mobile), $5/mo for 500mb with no minutes, $6 with 100 minutes, can rollover indefinitely with manual early renewal. (Noted issues with iPhones, though.)

T-Mobile Prepaid Mobile Internet (no voice or text), $5/mo for 500mb. Provide your own VoIP solution.

Tracfone & Tello have referral programs that offer some additional free months, or significant allotment boost. Let me know if you need details.
    My Tello referral code is P3BSR5HV, and gets both of us 10 Tello Dollars to pay for a plan.
    https://tello.com/account/register?_referral=P3BSR5HV

Feedback Score
    To start, I'll mention that I use GV phone #s with the GV app on all my devices over data only, so I don't use any real phone #s.

I've used the FP annual prepaid 1GB/mo plan, for data only, in an old FP Unite hotspot, since 2018. I just activated another one in Feb, 2021, and I still have 2 ready to activate in Feb, 2022, and 2023. I paid ~$35 for each annual plan, so there's very little chance of finding a replacement 1GB/mo of AT&T data for $2.92/mo!

I use that as a supplement and backup to my 2GB/mo T-Mobile postpaid government group data only plan, for which I pay $9.66/mo, including taxes/fees. Since it's postpaid, it also provides unlimited 128Kbps international data, which is a big benefit to me, if/when we can ever travel again. I use that as my primary plan in a Pixel 3a XL.

I actually considered trying to get another one of those T-Mobile postpaid government group 2GB/mo data only plans, but the person that helped me get it in the first place no longer works where they can help me get another.

Now I just have to hope my existing $9.66/mo T-Mobile postpaid government group 2GB/mo data only plan will continue working forever!

Regarding my 8 FP free plan SIMs, which provided 250GB/mo (with 10 Freedom Friends), that I've been using to have service in some old Android phones and a tablet that get occasional use, it seems like those will be impossible to replace at a reasonable cost.

I guess I'll just plan to keep using my FP annual prepaid 1GB/mo plan in the old FP Unite hotspot to provide data to those old Android phones and tablet if I want to use them, although it certainly won't be as convenient as it was with 250MB/mo available in each device.

I halfway considered getting a T-Mo Prepaid 500MB/30 days data only SIM for $5/30 days, but at that point, I might as well get a RP $60/360 day ($5/30 days) plan that provides 100/100/500 every 30 days, with the only disadvantage vs the T-Mo Prepaid 500MB/30 days being no service in Canada or Mexico, and with the advantages of having the option to choose AT&T or Vzw and having 100/100 of real cellular voice and text.

One other option is the RP $30/360 day ($2.50/30 days) plan with 200/1000/200 every 30 days, but that's currently only available on Sprint or T-Mobile, so it would be redundant coverage to my current primary T-Mo SIM.

Ultimately, I think I'm just going to cancel my 8 FP free plans and not directly replace them at this time.

Feedback Score
    I canceled one free account already. I will close all accounts even the one with ~$20 top-up as they won't refund it.
    FP says they will transfer old top up to credit balance in new FP account but they don't even know how we can use those credit balance yet (Enough of scam).

I signed up Tello 6month stacksocial deal (unlimited min/txt and 2GB 5G Data (2G after)) for ~$34.
    I don't care about phone number as I used GV call forwarding.

I excluded Red Pocket as they are the parent company of FP.

Ebay Tracfone yearly deal (1200min/1200txt/3GB Data for whole year) for $40 (was $20 last December) could be good too.

My Tello referral code is P3GDVKRX, and gets both of us 10 Tello Dollars to pay for a plan.
    https://tello.com/account/register?_referral=P3GDVKRX

Feedback Score
    Expanding on the multiple recommendations above for this TF plan:

eBay TF 1200/1200/3GB/1 Year (Average 100/100/256/mo)
    $31.99 W/ Code TRACFONE20 ($39.99-20%) ($2.67/mo)
    Choose: AT&T/T-Mo/Vzw
    Remaining Balances Roll Over (W/ Current Airtime)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tracfone-Pre...a/283448464240

Feedback Score
    Anyone port out number from FP recently? I submitted my request with phone number as account number and pin as 9999 (someone said pin on FP website is wrong). Hope it gets thru.

Edit:
    Just confirmed from FP Twitter DM.
    Pin is 9999
    Account # is your phone number 1-XXX-XXXX
    Last edited by power_book; 04-16-2021 at 02:13 PM.